Uncategorized

“You met me at a very strange time in my life.”(Fight Club, 1999)

This is the final reflection right? I guess this makes it the FINALE, Dun Dunnn Dunnnnnn. (ง •_•)ง     ψ(._. )>

Hi Folks,

It was a pleasure reading your posts on Dr. C’s forum and your Ram Page reflections. Joining you dudes each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 1pm and listening to Dr. C’s tracks while anticipating the start of class was relaxing (the class itself was doubly so).

IM GONNA MISS YOUR ATOMOSPHERE! (っ °Д °;)っ

This is my earliest reflection this semester. I usually post at 11pm on Sundays and sometimes late  (っ °Д °;)っ. I’m posting early because I foresee an extremely busy weekend where I’m gonna get hammered by Biology. I decided that it would be wise to complete this assignment much sooner as well as complete hypothesis, which I will hopefully complete before I have to go to work in an hour.

Unfortunately, I was only really able to skim through Gulliver’s Travels this week. I really wanted to get in on the deep action and the details but I was getting sucked away by the current count down going on in life (which I’m sure everyone else is experiencing as well). Hearing you all share your points in class today (as well as on Forum Posts) has made me ponder Gulliver’s Travels in different manner than I did prior. In the past, I hadn’t read Gulliver’s Travels and had only seen and heard others renditions, movies, and summaries of the tale. I always thought the story was about some dude who came across a crazy Island of natives who had never seen anything like him before and wanted to eat him or kill him…kind of like a mix of Christopher Columbus and King Kong-but also not really. I guess I was way off the mark.

This week made me Realize that GT is much more complicated and isn’t as straight to the point. I will have to go back and take my time reading it and re-reading it to fully grasp what is going on. However, hearing Dr. C describing excerpts has given me an Idea of what to expect. Listening to your discussion in class has shed new light on Gulliver and now I see him from a different perspective (I see him as a stubbornly prejudiced scumbag rather than an adventuring hero…). Of course I will have to deep read the story and decide how to feel about him myself. I like to see the light in even the darkest of characters. I often put my self in their shoes to perhaps see as they do (to discover who, and why, they are the way they are within). I don’t like to rush and stick the knife when it comes to confronting and reasoning with the bad guys (I often feel much more empathy for the evil or stupid in stories and real life than I do for the good-a weakness or strength, I’m not sure, but it’s the way I do ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) ).

On a different and perhaps unrelated note, I finally got the small electronic/digital “typewriter” that I ordered in the mail yesterday! It was in pretty banged up shape (I got it used because it was much cheaper that way) but I cleaned it, fixed/taped it up, and inserted the 3 needed AAA batteries. The previous owner had left a lot profanity and weird sentences saved in the files which I promptly erased after reading (it seemed like he/she was super frustrated and gave up on life).

I couldn’t stop writing the moment my fingers touched the keys. I sat there and typed for an hour and had to pull my self away so that I could go do some homework (っ °Д °;)っ. I’m so excited to have it and can’t wait to get using it more often! Feels like an early Christmas! Unfortunately, I need to get wires to hook it up to a computer and printer that way I can upload and print files.

THIS IS WHAT IT FELT LIKE… 😀

I suppose that will be it for my final reflection. I had a lot of fun typing these up this semester.

This is a final farewell from the Orangutan…forever, maybe…unless I see you guys in future classes which is probable if your are an English Major who will be at VCU for the next 3 semesters.

Stay Safe,

Orangutan, Player 3, Sarwat

“If I could wake up in a different place, at a different time, could I wake up as a different person?”― (Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club,1999)

2 replies on ““You met me at a very strange time in my life.”(Fight Club, 1999)”

I totally feel that count down man, I too didn’t get to fully read and analyze everything in part 4. Only a little more ways to go with classes and then it’s time to bring on the snow and presents! That typewriter thing sounds wicked btw!

Wow! I didn’t know you were actually an orangutan. That’s awesome! I’m glad you’re having a ball with the typewriter – I think old-fashioned (even though it’s digital, ik) hardware is just really exciting to work with. I just started messing around with my dad’s old tape deck, and it’s way more fun than making music on digital equipment. It’s just so tactile… I feel like the typewriter may be sort of the same thing. Have a good Thanksgiving!