Week 8: The Time I Called the Cops

It was around 12 AM on a weekday night where my older sister and I were watching t.v. in our parents rooms, while they were at the hospital visiting a family friend. As we were watching our show, somebody rang the doorbell. My sister and I just ignored it as we thought it was just some neighborhood kid playing jokes, but then it rang again… and again. A bit worried and confused, I peeped my head out the window but wasn’t able to see anyone. We just ignored it until it was around 1 AM, and we heard the doorbell go off again as well as a bang on the door. I called my dad and asked if we were expecting anybody since someone kept ringing the doorbell. He said we weren’t and that they would be home soon.

To get into my house, it’s either getting through the front door with a key or using the garage pass code. Only my family and I know the garage code, so no one would be able to get in through the garage unless it was one of us. It was around 1:30 AM where things turned. As my sister and I were getting ready for bed, when all of a sudden the doorbell went off once again as well as the garage opening a couple minutes after. I looked through the window to see if my parents arrived, but there car wasn’t there. Terrified, I turned around and looked at my sister. We quickly grabbed the closest things to protect ourselves with and hid in the room. My sister called my dad saying the garage door opened, and that was when he said “WHAT?! Hide in the room, lock the door, and turn your lights off. We’re on the way” That’s when the door entering the house from the garage opened. Now, I have a dog who is the most excited and hyper she can be when she sees strangers. It usually takes a good 5-10 minutes before she stops barking from all the excitement. When the door opened, I heard my dog bark for about 5 seconds then went completely silent. That was the moment I thought whoever just broke into my house killed my dog.

As we hid in my sister’s room, I grabbed my phone and dialed 911. As I told the dispatcher everything, she told me cops were already on the way and that we were going to be okay. I started crying and told her that we couldn’t hear his footsteps. That was when we heard the garage door open once again, and it was my parents. As I opened the window trying to sign them not to come in, I see my mom laughing hysterically. Confused as I could ever be, she calls my sister and says it was my cousin who came from Korea… she said that she gave him the code but was not supposed to come until the next night. Sobbing at this point, I told the dispatcher that it was just my cousin who came from Korea, and didn’t say anything as he thought we were sleeping. The dispatcher laughed and asked if the cops should still come and check it out, but I told her that everything was actually okay. As I went downstairs with puffy eyes, I asked him how he made our dog stop barking, and he replies ” I dropped my McDonald’s”, and that is my story on the time I called the cops for the first time.

One Reply to “Week 8: The Time I Called the Cops”

1. When I was reading this I literally thought someone broke into your house, I am so glad this wasn’t the case though. I cannot imagine the fear in that moment, it’s unbelievable. I have never had to call the cops but I have before when I was little. I thought my out of service flip phone wouldn’t be able to call 911 so I tried to and it worked, I freaked out and I hung up immediately.