Rainbow Fish???

I used to have a favorite type of fish when I was younger. It was a rainbow trout. These colorful creatures were such a beauty to look at. Little did I know that they were being used for scientific experiments. These rainbow fish were used in research.  There was a study where the rainbow trout was used to test the effects of dietary fat levels on glucose homeostasis in rainbow trout. The fish were fed identical amounts of one or two isoenergetic diets that either contained low or high-fat level. The hyperglycemic phenotype was characterized by a reduction of activities (Figueiredo-Silva 169).

Another Montana gem, the Big Hole.

http://acuicultura.org.ar/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/rainbow-trout-15.jpg

So what does rainbow trout have anything to do with rainbows? The specific phenotype that the trout had, was because of the distinctive rainbow color that they displayed. These fish were used because of their metabolic ability and their unique color that they displayed. It would be easier for the scientists to test on fish that already were easily distinguishable from other fish.

My point that I am trying to make here is that the trout was used in research over normal plain fish. The color of the fish was an important factor in the research. This is an example of where we see rainbow acting as an important color. Rainbows are sometimes only referred to being a child’s favorite color, but here we see that the color was an important part of conducting a research study for monitoring glucose levels.

References:

Figueiredo-Silva, A Cláudia, Stéphane Panserat, Sadasivam Kaushik, Inge Geurden, and Sergio Polakof. “High Levels of Dietary Fat Impair Glucose Homeostasis in Rainbow Trout.” The Journal of Experimental Biology 215.Pt 1 (2012): 169-78. Web.

“Hypoglycemia.” Medical News Today. MediLexicon International, n.d. Web. 22 Oct. 2016.

One thought on “Rainbow Fish???