Week 2 Blog Post: TPACK lesson

My group chose to plan a lesson for SOL 3.12: The student will identify equivalent periods of time, including relationships among days, months, and years, as well as minutes and hours.

For technology, we had several different ideas. One was to give the students physical manipulatives like beans and have them stand for different things. For example, if each bean represents one hour, can you make a group that represents one day? If the student groups 24 beans, they get it right.

Another idea for technology would be to go into why we divide time into the sections we do and show an example of the Earth rotating around the sun. This could combine the lesson with a science lesson. We could provide the example with a globe or an online visualization like at timeanddate.com.

The content for the lesson would be understanding how time is divided into chunks and the amount of seconds in a minute, minutes in an hour, etc.

Pedagogically, we came up with the idea of teaching the story behind why we have months. Why do we have January, February, so on and so on? Well, a long time ago some guy named Julius Ceaser tried to take over the world, and we still do what he says….it can combine the math lesson with history! This pedagogy would be narrative. I think students learn best through stories.

2 thoughts on “Week 2 Blog Post: TPACK lesson

1. Hi Taylor! I think this is a great lesson, combining math, science, and even history. I feel that they may be kind of confused if you try explaining all of it at one time. Maybe you should start off with the bean lesson and then a few weeks later explain the science and then the history. Kids can get overwhelmed when they are explained something many different ways. I think your technology is great! Maybe you could even have different kinds of beans that represent seconds, minutes, hours, days, and years! Overall, I think you have a great lesson planned out.