Finals Szn

Finals season is tough. It is crazy how if you are not on top what you need to do, how hard final exams will hit you right in the face. In the beginning of the semester, I really had everything together. I was on top of what I needed to do, I would wake up at 8 every morning just to start my day, I was on a roll. Until second semester came along. I was still doing what I needed to do but I was procrastinating. A lot. Then I had some family issues going on which really brought me down. It was really hard to get out of that hole I was in during that time, but I eventually made it out alive. Here I am now, finishing up my missing blogs and comments and working really hard on the ethical essay to get an A. It’s better to turn it in late rather than to not turn it in at all. But in my other classes, I have just been keeping up with the lecture notes and preparing myself for these upcoming final exams. I can already feel my eyes preparing themselves for an all-nighter. But one thing I realized is sleep is important! Pulling an all-nighters three nights in a row is not a good thing! When you are well rested, you able to function more properly and you don’t act all drowsy throughout the day. Pulling all-nighters are very unhealthy. And I forgot about forgetting to eat. I already forget to do that as a college student because I always just want to grind first and get my assignments out the way and then eat later. It only takes on swipe at Shafer just to be there all day and eat however much you want. Water is your best friend and yes sometimes coffee as well. Eating and sleeping. Necessities of life yet we look past it once we become so determined to finish a task or an assignment. I love getting yellow curry fried rice from Thai Top Ten on Grace St when I study. There is always enough to fill me up and save myself some for later. I feel like we all know that these two are key but sometimes we just need to be reminded. Best of luck to all of you on your finals! With time management and self care, we not only make it better for ourselves, but it gets us more focused on studying! 🙂

Acrylics

I love going to the nail salon to get my nails done. I don’t go in to get a manicure or a pedicure, I go in for a full set of acrylics. It all began in high school. I remember being a senior and it being prom season. My best friend (at the time) and I decided to go all out, and I mean get our makeup done, hair done and nails. We went to nail salon right by her place and I had asked for red coffin nails with gold glitter on the ring fingers. As soon as my nail tech was done and I saw the finished product, I fell in love. It is a whole different feeling when you have acrylics on. Your hand just feels prettier, just like putting on rings. When I first got them done, I noticed I was using my hands to talk a lot more. My hands and fingers were constantly moving. Since then, I have always gotten my nails done once in a whole, mainly for special events. Like this past weekend. ISA (Indian Student Association) was hosting their 14th ICE event which consisted of performances from each class and winners announced from the ISA superlatives nominations. My outfit for the night was going to be a traditional Indian dress (lengha) and some fancy gold jewelry. I went with my younger sister to go get my nails done here at KT nails by Kroger. I loved KT nails because all their nail techs are really sweet. They all know me for coming in and get my nails done long. I kid you not, I not only love acrylics but I love a long length. I have only done two shapes which are coffin/ballerina and stilettos. For me personally, I feel like short nails make my fingers look weird since they are already so long. But I went in, got a seat and I noticed that when she cut the nail off for length, that they kind of looked short. When she finished doing both of my hands, I realized that they looked medium short! It felt so different since for stiletto shape I go as long as I can. It was actually really weird at first but then within the first two hours i just got used to it. But if you have never got your nails done, I would highly recommend for just a one time thing because who knows, maybe that one time will turn in to constantly haha.

Acrylics

Favorite Season

Unpopular opinion: I am one of those people who highly dislike the season summer. It all roots from when I come from, India. Even though I didn’t grow up their a majority of my life, I was fortunate enough to take month long vacations there as a kid. Now, in India, it is hot 99% perfect of the time. There is no such thing as snow there so it was heat all around. Sometimes the a/c would break and everyone would be left with just keeping doors and windows open for some sort of air. And the worst part of all and that comes with the heat. Mosquitoes. For some reason, every time I was in India, I would always leave with an additional three or four bug bites on my arms or legs. And of course best believe I was itching like CRAZY. Don’t get me wrong, I love India and that wouldn’t be the one thing that would ever stop me from going back but that’s where my dislike for summer comes in. But here I am talking about India’s heat, when really, NOVA has the worst heat. I just feel like in the summertime, it can be as hot as it can and you still can’t take off layers. The heat is definitely great for tanning but in terms of just walking around in such a high heat wave, you’ll be dripping sweat within 5 minutes. Cold air will be constantly needed and ice won’t do the justice sometimes and a/c’s will tend to break. This is why I love staying home summertime because of constant a/c. I also dislike summer because of there’s just not enough balance. I want to be able to walk outside knowing it’s not scorching and having the slightest bit of wind. The perfect weather combo is there being sun with the slightest breeze. I want to be comfortable with the weather. This is why I believe spring is the perfect season. You get the blooming of flowers, the nice bit of wind with some sunshine, and you are causally walking out and about fanning yourself from a heat wave or even layering up due to such cold weather. I would honestly be cool with just having spring as an official season but we all love hoodie season too. I just hope this summer doesn’t become the hottest summer.

“Best” Friend

I met my recent best friend in high school. She had transferred from school all the way in Florida. I met her through one of my other close friends but there was this hate and meanness going on so long story short, she ended up getting out of the picture. So it was just me and my best friend. I grew to love her so much all through out high school. We would hang out every chance we got and go on some wild adventures together. When she was able to get her license and her car, we would go to Great Falls, skip almost all of senior year, go out to parties; just basically doing what any normal high school teen would do. Later on she got into a relationship with someone I was not a fond of. I just didn’t like their character or how they would come off. I would always respect my best friend’s time whenever she needed to leave to go talk to him. Even though it would happen all the time. I just didn’t like hanging out with him much and I didn’t think he was a right match for her. Later on down the line, they would break up then come back together until she had enough and finally dumped him. Then I had a boyfriend. My boyfriend was cool with my best friend and vice versa. It was so chill with both of them. Both of my best friends. Then one night, we all went out. It was all cool until she basically lied to my boyfriend about my well-being. She wasn’t trying to set me up, she just didn’t want my boyfriend to know what we were talking about. Since my boyfriend addressed it to me, I told her about the situation and you would think they would text each and make amends right? No. She tells me that my boyfriend is never allowed out with us. Like what? This is my man that you’re talking about. Why couldn’t she understand that? After not even acknowledging the fact that I was upset, she blocked me off all social media and decided to talk shit about me to other people. I was so hurt. My best friend since junior yeah and this is the path she chooses? It just made me realize one thing about life, it’s never too late for someone to show their true colors. I really thought this girl was going to be at my wedding. In the end, I realized she chose her path and that I was not going to go chasing after her. But basically y’all, really get to know who you are considering your best friend. Because sometimes they will crack for problems so easy solve.

Asados Dine In Deals

So you guys have not had Asados on Broad and Laurel, you have too!!! My first experience at Asados was first semester. I went for the first not knowing anything on the menu or even what I was craving. I got the fully loaded nachos and it was okay. I did not like how I had to dig for the bottom of the plate to get nacho chips because all the toppings were just dumped on top. Still ate it, it was good, just wanted a better experience. Now I haven’t been to Asados since, until 2 weeks ago. Apparently, Asados does dine in deals everyday. On Wednesday’s they have bone in wings 50%. When I heard that, I knew I had to go. So I went along with a couple other people who have already been there so much for their wings deal. The biggest amount of wings you can get is 18 for the original price 17.95. But since it was Wednesday, the price was basically $9. For 18 wings. Can you believe that? Within those 18 wings you can choose up to three sauces. So my so called heat handling self thought I could get the spiciest types of wings (fury) and survive off that. Not only that but I also got spicy garlic and spicy bbq sauce. After I placed my order my friends started shaking their head and chucking at me. They told me the number one mistake is to get all three spicy wings. They were basically trying to tell me that I wasn’t going to be able to handle it and I knew I had to prove them wrong. Once my wings came, I was ready. Or so I thought. The spicy garlic and spicy bbq were good you know, not a lot of spice, something anyone can handle. Then it came for me to try fury. When I tell you guys I could feel the heat off those wings, oh boy. I took one bite, and within that one bite as I was chewing I was good. You could just fee heat from the wing that’s it. But the aftermath of what goes on in your mouth, horrific. I felt like I had taken a bite of the spiciest jalapeno pepper. I ended up finishing my water my that one wing made me go through it. The worst part is, the restaurant was so busy that it look a good 10 minutes for my refill to come up. My friends were all enjoying their wings while I was just there breathing so hard with my tongue out like a dog. But you know, everyone goes through that experience at least once, and that was definitely not going to stop me from coming again. Moral of the story, if you think you can handle spice, you haven’t tried fury wings from Asados. But if you guys do decide to go and dine in for their deals, let me know what you think!

Sorrow but Strength

This week was such a rough week. I wasn’t in UNIV on Tuesday or Thursday. About three weeks ago, my uncle got diagnosed with lung cancer. It was such a hard day for me because I just felt so immobile. All I wanted to do was cry all day. The week after I found out, I went back to nova just so my parents could get me in contact with him. He was basically like a second dad to me growing up. I was born in Virginia and while my parents did show me around India, my uncle was the one who would take me on so many adventures. I would hop on the back of his motorcycle bike and he would surprise me with the places he took me too. We could go to little food stands, go to the beaches just to see the sunset and sometimes he would just drive us around. This past weekend, my dad told me he was going to go to India to go visit him. Since he was going by himself, my whole family dropped my dad off at the airport late at night and then dropped me off at VCU. Then Wednesday night, I get a call from my dad. All the way from India. He tells me that my uncle passed away. As soon as I hung up the phone, I told my sister to come pick me up just so I could be there for my mom. It was a very rough night, my dad was skyping us all the way through our tears and shouting. Being at home and going through this made me think about how it conflicts with school. Everyone is different. Most people take time off from school because their mind is just not in the right place after going through something so devastating. In the back of my head, I guess I just know my uncle wouldn’t want me to miss school for something called “life”. That is what everyone in India would say when someone were to pass away. You grieve all you want to, but once that stops, you become unstoppable. You then begin to think about why you are where you are because of your close family members. This is also one of those moments where i wish I could’ve skyped him more often. I wish I was still able to maintain that close connection. But I know he would tell me he would just want to see me prosper in life.

Definitely Not An Ideal Woman’s World

Being a female really can be terrible. And no I am not talking about us getting our periods or the pain of pregnancy, I am talking about females getting catcalled and constantly having to be worried. For starters, being catcalled is the worst form of communication. It is so disgusting. What is the need to that? I was with my friend in broad daylight simply going to the village cafe and on the way from The Square, this random ass guy tries to stop us and say, “ouuuu y’all looking good can I can get both of yall’s number?” Mind you, my friend and I were wearing jeans and simple short sleeve shirts. We then both said no and as we were walking past him, I could just feel him staring. Females will be wearing oversized hoodies and sweats and still get hollered at. I was and still am so appalled and disgusted.

Another thing is the fear of having fun and a guy trying to assault you. I remember going to a party last year and it was fun you know, everyone was having a good time. All of a sudden, this girl starts asking everyone if she knew where her friend, Jessica was. My friends and I said no and just continued to enjoy our time at the party. 20 minutes later, the same girl comes back again and asked if we had seen her, again. In my head I thought damn, 20 minutes is a long time for your girlfriend to go missing without her telling you her whereabouts. A couple minutes later, the party got shut down, Next thing you know, I see these group of girls huddled around this girl sobbing. It turns out, Jessica got raped and someone managed to walk in on them and save her. On one side of the streets she was crying, on the other, you see all the guys trying to beat up the rapist. I could not believe it. I could only imagine how traumatized she was. Why can’t us females go out and have fun without having to worry about who is going to put something in our drink or someone approaching us with terrible intentions? This is not fair. I feel like no matter how much we address it, people will still treat it like a social norm. Like when we receive alerts from VCU. We just look at them and move on. But that person in that situation, has to go through trauma and disgust. Victims are human too. Why good comes out of trying to rape someone and making making them feel so shitty for the rest of their lives? It is a crazy, sickening world we live in.

Senior Year High School

My senior year of high school was really my best year. My first year of high school was a real struggle for me. I was so anti social and I didn’t end up having any classes with my friends from middle school. Trying to make friends was hard for me because in middle school, when I thought certain people were my friend, they just used me for answers. I remember getting told by classmates to not “cover the test” when I was writing down answers. It was hard for me to say no because I wanted to be liked. In my head back then, I thought saying no was just really being mean. When I reached sophomore and junior year, I learned how to say no and not feel bad about it. I grew in to the person I was meant to be, what I wanted to be. If I had continued to say yes to everything, I honestly would have been just walked all over. Senior year, I reached my peak. I was doing so well in school, that me missing almost half of the school year didn’t even affect me. The only thing I wish I did was become more participant in school activities. Pep rallies, football games etc. Class of 2017 was dead. Not a lot of people really cared to partake in anything school related. If anything, our class just wanted an excuse to leave as quickly as they could. Every time we had pep rallies, me and my friends would plan a coordinated walk out. All our pep rallies were outside so once we got released rom third period to go out the the football field, my friends and I would try to disperse from our group and try to finesse our way to the parking lot. We almost seemed to somehow always get out of school. Security was so lenient before they changed to Justice High School. I also remember a time where me and another friend of mine got caught outside with no passes. Any security or teacher from school is allowed to come up and ask to see your pass if you are to leave school premises. We didn’t have a pass. Instead my friend just told security we needed to get a notebook from her car, he then said that it was okay but he told us to go get late passes once we got back inside. Too bad that never happened. By the time we were at her car, had opened the door and sat down, we thought it was already too late to go back in. I’m not saying the decisions I made were the best, but honestly, they really did make my senior year because those are the moments we cherish and take in.

MacBook Malfunction

So there I was last semester in my math class with my usual items out; my laptop (MacBook Pro super old version),  Starbucks Frappuccino chilled coffee drink (vanilla flavored) in the glass bottles, my notebook and pencil.  She was going over a new topic and there I was just casually using my phone waiting for her to finish writing down the notes. I was taking sips of my drink but I would never close the cap tightly on the bottle after I would finish taking sips. Instead, simply lay the cap on top. I never, ever did myself as dirty as I did that day. All of a sudden, as I move my arms across the table, the coffee drink falls all over my laptop keys. I didn’t even have a keyboard cover at the time. I pick up the drink so fast and slowly walk out of class, but as soon as that door opened I zoomed to the bathroom and back to get paper towels. In my head all I was doing was cursing I was so sick. I come back and everyone is still paying attention and the teacher is still doing her lecture. Mind you, there are only 20 kids in that class and this is like the lecture classes at Snead. I could kind of see people peeping with the side of their eyes but I mean, I did have so many paper towels, how could you not see it? I ended up not only getting coffee on my keys but the bottom of my laptop too. The craziest thing about all this happening was me keeping my cool. I was sickened on the inside but in reality, I knew there was nothing I could do about it but just continue to wipe the laptop and shake as much coffee as I could out if it. After five minutes of heavily soaking the paper towels, I started to use my laptop and at the moment, it was working just fine, the keys were just a little sticky. Once I got back home, I took a nap and tried to turn on my laptop and it wasnmbbbn’t doing anything. Before I took a nap, the green light was showing when I plugged in the charger. But I really fooled myself in thinking that the laptop was actually going to function again. I mean, c’mon, coffee basically got in to the interior, and maybe if I had put it in rice, it might’ve worked. So I was stuck with no laptop till the end of semester, but it was just going to be 2 months, shoutout to Cabell and their numerous laptops. When I got back home, my parents surprised me with a new MacBook Air. But moral of the story is, always tighten you caps on to bottles. Because you truly never know when the clumsiness comes out of you.