To Maintain a Pre-Professional Health Track:
Each subsequent semester, by the end of the semester, you must demonstrate completion of each of the following requirements to maintain your pre-professional advising track status. Failure to do so will result in your removal from the advising track, which limits your access to pre-professional health advisors and restricted courses. Completing these requirements not only builds excellence in the core competencies but it also demonstrates your commitment to becoming an exceptional future healthcare professional.
- Meet with your pre-professional health advisor at least 1 time each semester.
- Maintain a VCU cumulative GPA of at least a 2.7.
- Attend a minimum of 1 healthcare related workshop/event or presentation per semester (health care on/off campus events) per semester.
- Attend a minimum of 1 non-healthcare related workshop/event (non-health care on/off campus events) or attend a 1-on-1 meeting with a Career Services adviser per semester.
- Obtain at least 10 hours of healthcare experience (e.g. shadow, volunteer, or work in health care setting etc.) per semester.
- Obtain at least 10 hours of non-health care experience (e.g. volunteer or work in non-healthcare setting, leadership, research etc.) per semester.
The requirements for maintaining a pre-professional health advising track are designed to be a platform for students to gain exposure and experience with these core competencies. The Office of Pre-Professional Health Advising has divided these core competencies into 3 Focus Areas: Healthcare Exposure, Community Connection, Personal and Professional Development.
There are many routes a student can take to become a competent and competitive candidate for a graduate professional health program. It is important for a student to engage in activities that are significant and meaningful to them, while holistically preparing themselves to be a future healthcare professional.
When you apply to your professional program of interest, you will be required to list, explain and articulate the experiences you’ve had that shape you as a pre-professional health student. This journal keeps a digital and exportable account of all of these experiences.
Please read through the instructions on how to use the journal
Click to access the Pre-Professional Health Journal