Alumna spotlight: Dr. Raquel Halfond (Ph. D. ’11)

Raquel Halfond, Ph. D.
Raquel Halfond, Ph. D.

We’d like to extend our congratulations to alumna Raquel Halfond, Ph. D., who was recently promoted from project officer of clinical practice guidelines to director of clinical practice guidelines at the American Psychological Association (APA). Dr. Halfond received her B.S. from the College of William and Mary and her M.A. from Wake Forest University before graduating with her Ph.D. in clinical psychology from VCU in 2011. From there, she completed her internship at Children’s Hospital-Los Angeles and her postdoctoral fellowship at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.  Dr. Halfond is a licensed clinical psychologist in Virginia.  In her new role, she directs all the day-to-day activities of APA’s Clinical Practice Guidelines Initiative. This initiative builds on APA’s evidence-based practice policy, is informed by best practices for guideline development and is comprised of a multidisciplinary context.  She also serves as project liaison to government agencies.

I was fortunate to have many wonderful mentors and supervisors during my time at VCU. However the greatest influences were my adviser, Dr. Rose Corona, and mentor, Dr. Bryce McLeod. Their guidance, support and mentorship during and after my time at VCU have been instrumental in my life, both professionally and personally.

Dr. Halfond remembers her VCU experiences fondly.  Her favorite graduate course was Human Diversity and she says the “great people” and her work in the Latino Mental Health Clinic were particular highlights.  In her spare time, Dr. Halfond enjoys spending time with family and friends, hiking, cooking and dancing.  When asked what her plans for the future are, she says, “To be determined – there’s still so much I want to do in my life!”