I know a lot of us have already weighed in on the concept of hope, but I just wanted to reiterate how fascinating I found the two different ideas of hope to be. There is a well-circulated quote that says, “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air… but only for one second without hope.” Being a Christian, I have personally always ascribed to this idea of hope that it is an all-encompassing good. Without out there would certainly be no reason or motivation to live. However, on the flipside of that, we often hear the warning not to give someone “a false hope.” Doing so could result in action (or lack thereof) that is sorely misguided and ultimately regretful. Perhaps what is so interesting to me about this is how something good could also be an evil. Yet what we see at the end of Paradise Lost is not an evil, misguided hope but a promise within the solitude that Adam and Eve cling to. Whether you ascribe to the hope in the faith of the enduring love that Adam and Eve share in human community together or the love of the Son and His salvation, there is no doubt that Milton leaves us with the truth that  “hope is faith in love.”