Chris Rock Extra Credit Blog

Comedian Chris Rock recently told the media that he no longer wants to perform on college campuses due to the fact that students are becoming “too conservative” socially. He says that they no longer want to offend anyone.

“ Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.”

Michel Foucault’s concept of discourse comes to mind when I read the article about Chris Rock. Discourse is the way we talk about things as a society. It sets the limitations of our thoughts and what how we talk. I believe that societies discourse is changing and we as a collective are setting more limitations on what we can and can not say. I think Chris Rock is trying to say that we as a society are starting to take everything to heart and we have to be in constant worry that what we say or think might offend someone, so when speaking, our language needs to be censored. Clearly, Chris Rock being a comedian who makes his millions by making fun of people, would not want to perform in a setting where everything that he says is going to be taken as offensive, so to me, it makes sense as to why he wouldn’t want to perform at college campuses.