Univ 112

My blogs and other Univ things

Study Breaks

As college students, we spend hours in the library without receiving a break and we force ourselves to keep going, we drink coffee to keep ourselves awake and up. These are bad habits that I am guilty of, I have spent hours in the library attempting to finish my homework that is due the following week. According to James A Levine, a professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic has done studies that show that when you are sitting for long hours in a day (work or school) we are impairing our health. Once we start sitting for an extended period of time our receptors in our leg muscles start to change over time and our blood sugar system is slowing down. The human body was never made to be sitting for hours and that is what we have grown to make normal and now we spend on average 13 hours a day sitting. According to Dr. Levine he recommends to have an intense 15-minute work bursts then take a break for a bit then return for another 15 minutes.

When taking a break it depends on what you do on your break that can affect your work, you need to take an effective break! According to the Huffington post survey done they have found that social media can increase your stress. “Of those who are active social networkers, 83% stated their lives were either ‘somewhat stressful’ or ‘very stressful.’ 72% of those who did not participate in social media gave the same reply.”(onlineschools.org) While we use social media we receive dopamine when we receive likes, comments, and followers. This increase in dopamine can distract use from our tasks.

How should we spend our breaks? There has been a study at Princeton University that has said working out has had a positive correlation to improving brain activity. We all know that exercising is a good way to release our stress and as college students, some of us don’t prioritize this. Mediation is another way we can improve our health and lower our anxiety, there are a lot of studies that show that meditation has several benefits for our health. If working out and mediation isn’t your fit then you can take a quick power nap (10-20 minutes). I have taken power naps a lot and I have seen improvement in my body and my ability to concentrate. If none of these are helpful for you, just do you! Everyone has different ways to cope with stress and take a break from studying. Fit your needs and you know yourself. Just remember to take breaks from studying because we all know that cramming for an exam isn’t going to help you retain the information you really need.

Sources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/jobs/take-breaks-regularly-to-stay-on-schedule-workstation.html

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-survey-to-sit-or-stand-almost-70-of-full-time-american-workers-hate-sitting-but-they-do-it-all-day-every-day-215804771.html

https://medium.com/@Reece_Robertson/why-youre-addicted-to-social-media-dopamine-technology-inequality-c2cca07ed3ee

https://www.onlineschools.org/science-of-study-breaks/

Next Post

Previous Post

1. williamsta8 February 21, 2019

This was a really cool blog post! I am definitely someone who will go to the library and spend hours upon hours doing work (and most of it is due the next day). Normally a break from my work is me getting on my phone for a couple minutes, but that will end up either distracting me or get me off the groove I was on when I was getting all my work done. Taking a legitimate break is something I can’t say that I’ve done, but I will certainly give it a chance now.

2. daboulnc February 21, 2019

I am very much a “I’ll take a break when i’m finished” type of person and I am only now starting to realize the importance of taking breaks. Continuing to work and pushing through it is a good idea in theory, but it usually leads to subpar results and overworking yourself. I think that the importance of breaks and a healthy work ethic is something that needs to be taught in schools, or else kids may just continue to overwork themselves.

3. robertsna2 February 22, 2019

I am also really tired of school. I sit in the engineering computer lab for hours doing homework almost everyday and find it hard to take breaks. It has gotten to the point where I won’t even take a break to eat. Reading this blog helped me understand that I am not alone and that it is okay to take productive breaks. I should make time to enjoy my life while being at school. I want to try and work out again. I agree with what you said that we should not be sitting all day. I used to play sports and I sort of miss setting time aside to work out. I thought this was a great blog entrée and I am glad I came across it.

4. coxkw February 22, 2019

I liked your blog a lot, it is a very relatable piece because I study and do HW for long periods of time every day it seems like. I like how you addressed solutions so that if the readers of your blog have the same this issue they know what to do. I wonder if the meditation the researchers where talking about was a sitting down type or standing up type of meditation. I liked the flow of your blog and how you put a lot of effort in by going and find the research and citing it. Over all very well written blog, loved the content.

5. santorumlja2 February 22, 2019

I really liked reading this post. As a college student, we are all stressed at some point. I never know how to handle stress and your post helped me a lot. I usually tend to put things off until the last day they are due which makes me cram everything into one sitting. I find myself a sleep stressor or I try to eat my stress away. I will definitely try the tips you provided and see how they work with me.