Univ 112

My blogs and other Univ things

Advocacy Speech

Katherine Ramos

Univ 111

Professor Galligan

3 December 2018

Writer’s Memo

When I am not in class, I spent about two hours every week on Tuesday and Thursday working on this assignment since it was given to us in class. I set time aside after class to revise my speech and add more of the elements needed. I have been trying to get more input on my speech and allowing my peers revise it.

I think throughout my speech I use logos and ethos in beginning half of the speech. I present the facts to the audience and make sure they have a logical understanding of the topic before introducing pathos. My organization with introducing the emotional part of DACA at the end of my speech because that will have the most impact on the audience. If I could add I would have added more pathos to sway the viewers but as an audience that already is educated on the pathos that has affected the undocumented immigrants, they want to hear the logical part of the argument.

The speech does relate to the intended audience because they believe the counterargument is the truth, this is my targeted audience. I make sure that I have presented the two sides, DACA being unconstitutional and constitutional. When I present the two sides, I make sure that I build credibility when I announce the source before presenting the facts. Building the credibility will allow the audience to see the different sides and make their stance on the topic.

The structure that I have used for my speech is refutation pattern, it allows me to get my claim across to the audience in a clear easy manner. My speech begins with the topic I will be talking about as an introduction, the explain what the urgency of the topic is and why we need to be bringing attention to it. I then follow up with my argument, the second main point that will allow the audience to see the opposing opinion to their opinion. Lastly, I allow the audience to compare the two viewpoints and the facts. I drive home my opinion on the topic by presenting the pathos and the benefits that the policy does for the United States and its citizens.

The main claims and main points are presented at the beginning of each paragraph to make it clear to the audience. There is evidence that is presented to every claim after it is introduced to the paragraph. I think that the format that I am using makes it clear for the audience to identify the aspects of the main points. It is mapped out for the listener and presented to them through the transitions of the body for the audience to know what to expect next.

My written language is presented in an accurate way, it is formatted and organized for the readers or audience to understand. Vocal delivery is lacking because of my tone of voice and how I present that material. There are things that I need improvement on when speaking to an audience, eye contact, posture, and loud, clear volume. As for written I have revised all the changes done to my speech and I have continued to improve my writing every week. I feel confident on my writing but less confident on the vocal language.

Katherine Ramos

Univ 111

Professor Galligan

3 December 2018

The DACA Policy is Constitutional

What do you think about when you hear the world Illegal Immigrant? Yes, it has a huge negative connotation and is even used as an insult. The word we should use is undocumented immigrant. There are millions of undocumented immigrants that enter the United States and make 13% of the U.S population. These immigrants come for different reasons, a better life, a home, to see relatives, and to escape a country that treats their citizens poorly. Some of these undocumented immigrants are in the differed childhood arrival act.

Imagine being in fear everyday about being pushed out of your only home to somewhere you don’t recognize. There are about 700,000 dreamers that are in danger of being deported to a country that they have no memories of. Through President Trump’s first two years of his presidency he has been trying to get rid of the DACA policy. Trump has backed up his points by saying DACA is not credible because it does not follow Constitutional guidelines but, the policy does follow the guidelines, the reasons why it has been seen that way have been proven false. The policy does not promise citizenship or change the recipient’s status in the United States. The policy is not vague, it does not cross any lines, and the policy will deport those recipients who do not follow the guidelines of the policy. There are many people that believe the DACA policy it exceeds the constitution and many people believe otherwise.

A Professor of Law at the Temple University Beasley School of Law in Philadelphia, Jan Ting has stated that the policy is exceeding the constitutional bond of prosecutorial discretion, which means that the president is excusing the act of someone who is breaking the law. Ting says Obama did not have the power to establish the policy. The conservatives say that the undocumented immigrants are breaking the law, they’re here working, living, and going to school without papers which is illegal. There are various other comments about how former president Barack Obama introduced the policy in a negative manner, he introduced this policy with executive action and without congressional approval, which sparks a lot of controversy. Lastly, in an open letter sent to Trump by many scholars from PennState University they examined the policy and say that the deferred action for children arrivals does not cite any legal authorities behind the making of the policy, and that the policy is unclear and unsound.  It has been over a year since the DACA policy has been proposed to be removed and nothing has happened.

The recipients were brought to the United States at a young age without any knowledge of their native country. In examining the constitutionality of executive order: DACA written Seth Konopask a Law student in the Brigham Young University says the qualifications of being a recipient of the policy are very specific, there are background checks that are followed to make sure they are who they say they are. All DACA recipients came into the United States under the age of 16, and they only recognize the United States as their home. The policy does not grant citizenship, it is not favoring these undocumented immigrants. The policy is strict and does not just let anyone and everyone into this country. There are other reasons why the DACA policy is constitutional the United States immigration laws lacks specific guidelines which makes it even difficult to conclude. The Trump administration could not come up with a solid reason for why the DACA policy was unconstitutional but now because of the lack of compromise in the Senate, the policy is going to reviewed in the supreme court. The dreamers are in fear of what the future holds

The policy does not exceed the Constitutional bounds, the courts have not concluded because it is a tricky policy that is hard to be proven wrong. How can we deport 700,000 dreamers? What will happen to their jobs, education, and families? The participants are in a constant fear and anxiety not knowing what will happen to them, and what will happen to their future. In 2017 Carla Liliana Espinoza, a bilingual educator at Sam Houston University interviewed several DACA recipients one was a young girl who was left jobless for three months due to Donald Trump threatening to remove the DACA policy, she didn’t know what her source of income was going to be. She feared everyday about her bills, school, and what her life would be like in Southern America. The policy assists these young adults with receiving their driver’s licenses, achieving higher education, and working legally in the United States. Dreamers are just like any other citizens. They pay taxes, contribute to society, and made their lives in this country. These dreamers did not have a choice to come to the United States, they never knew they would have to face these difficulties. As a country established by immigrants who came here for a better life why should we deport those who were brought here by their parents looking for the best opportunities.

Work Cited

Espinoza, Carla Liliana. “I Nearly Lost My Job Because of Trump’s Turn on DACA. Dreamers Can’t Keep Living in Limbo.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 17 Sept. 2018, www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2018/09/17/daca-dreamers-plea-trump-congress-we-need-immigration-reform-column/1288912002/.

Konopasek, Seth. “Examining the Constitutionality of Executive Orders: DACA, DAPA, and the Take Care Clause.” Examining the Constitutionality of Executive Orders: DACA, DAPA, and the Take Care Clause, vol. 32, 2018.

Ting, Jan. “President Obama’s ‘Deferred Action’ Program for Illegal Aliens Is Plainly Unconstitutional.” CIS.org, 2 Dec. 2014, cis.org/Report/President-Obamas-Deferred-Action-Program-Illegal-Aliens-Plainly-Unconstitutional.

“Letter Pro Letter DACA Final .” 14 Aug. 2017. https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/sites/default/files/documents/pdfs/Immigrants/LawProfLetterDACAFinal8.13.pdf

© 2020 Univ 112

Theme by Anders Norén