Trails of wonder, rigorously explored.

This week, Open Learning ’17 turns to Doug Engelbart’s “Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework”–but I want to write a few words about “As We May Think,” first. One of the great things about a learning experience undertaken with others is the way familiar texts reveal new layers of meaning and implication. This time around…

2017: Quarks, Love, and Insight

Two ups, a down, and some gluons.  A hadron; later, perhaps, an atom. I used to do a little warm-up exercise in faculty development workshops. I called it “Quarks of Learning.” The question was simple: what are the elementary particles and fundamental constituents of learning? The responses were always interesting, and revealed a surprising amount…

cri de cœur

“Anguish” By August Friedrich Albrecht Schenck (1828 – 1901). Details of artist on Google Art Project [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons. I don’t really like polemic, most of the time. I think it often just feeds the beast, as Martha might say. I don’t like polarization or pointing fingers. I truly aspire to “generous questions … questions…

A taxonomy of student engagement

Last November I had the honor to be the keynote speaker at the University of North Florida’s 3rd annual Academic Technology Innovation Summit. The event brought me into contact with a number of talented faculty, grad students, and staff at UNF, and the sessions I was able to attend (I was on an unusually tight…

What I saw on Monday

Roaming the vicinity of Virginia Commonwealth University, I found a spot just across from Grace and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church where I could get a few action shots: USA. New Zealand. France. Australia. It’s fascinating to me to watch the time trials, watch the bicycles and their riders in their caravans: motorcycle, bike, car following.…

Organ Selling

As I was looking into research topics, I came about an article regarding Organ Donation Vs. The organ selling black market. I was inquisitive about this topic and looking at pictures made me even more curious about it. The top most picture portrays the black market of organ selling, and it made…

Curriculum Cooking

I’m at the end of day two of VCU’s first annual University Seminar on General Education. There’s more to say than I can possibly articulate in this small space of time, but I do want to mark this phase of the experience with a metaphor. Metaphors are how I mark my experience. (I was going…

The 30,000 Foot Foundation

–It’s a bag of gold. –What would I do with a bag of gold? –What would you like to do with a bag of gold? –I don’t have time for your philosophical questions. The aim, therefore, of the philosophy of education must be to get at the meanings, the assumptions, the commitments which are implicit,…