Connecting Nuggets: Source 2

Discussing the disconnect between convenience and quality in the traditional versus the online environment, Callaway (2012) concluded the discovering with “the right mix” of traditional instruction and online delivery could address the disparity. With regard to satisfaction with e-learning, one might argue that “the right mix” would include the elements inherent in a hybrid model. As researchers found in this study, positive interaction, with the instructor and with fellow students seems to go hand-in-hand with student satisfaction. Hybrid instruction is one way to foster interaction while providing the element of convenience and the ability to learn at one’s own pace.

This source for my research topic suggests the idea of hybrid classes as being the better way to effectively absorb all of the material in a course. Hybrid classes are exactly as they sound, part online and part in class. It is a way of getting the “best” of both worlds. According to the study of student satisfaction, most students appeared to benefit greatly from hybrid courses rather than just strictly online courses. If this study concludes that hybrid classes are more beneficial than strictly online classes, does it also suggestively imply that normal classroom setting classes are more beneficial than hybrid classes?

This source relates back to my first nugget source because it focuses on what better works for a student’s daily schedule. If a student is looking to be able to take a course that is required and receive an A (i.e. a gen-ed course that has nothing to do with their major), they might look into online courses because they can mostly be done on one’s own time when one has availability to complete it. While this method works best for the student, the previous study shows that strictly online courses do not satisfy students as well as hybrid courses. Both of these studies show different sides to my argument and different ways to approach the factors that influence online courses and satisfaction.

Both of the studies relate student satisfaction to what courses are better, which is one of the areas I want to look into to evaluating online courses. Both seem to agree that courses work based on what the student feels are their strengths or weaknesses. I can see these sources being used as introductions to my own personal experiences with the online courses that I have taken and my personal outcomes from each course.