6 comments for “Persuasion Map

1. November 9, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Maddie,

Great job on the persuasion map. It appears that you are well on your way to developing a strong argument for your project. Having completed my associate’s degree completely online, I can attest to flexibility being a key advantage. Online courses allowed me to take classes with a hectic work schedule as well as continuing classes while overseas. Another key advantage of online courses is that many operate on a condensed schedule (8 or 12 weeks vs. 16 weeks), although I definitely do NOT recommend taking Calculus online with a condensed schedule. I think that’s the most stress college has imposed on me thus far. Although I don’t think I saw much of my family for those 2 months, somehow I managed to squeak out an A. Good luck on the project!

Jon

2. November 10, 2015 at 2:04 am

Maddie,

First off, I really liked your persuasion map. I think you really utilized the space that you had well. As for your inquiry topic, I think you list some very strong points. This class is the first online class I have ever taken, but I personally know many other people that have and I have never heard of any complaints. I mean, it makes sense especially for people that have limited time for class. It allows you to complete your work at any time during the day. I guess the only thing there is to question is the quality of learning and validity of testing, since computers are capable of obtaining any piece of information these days. However, I am interested to see your findings.

3. November 11, 2015 at 11:36 am

You’ll want to tighten up the logic here a bit. First, I think the Introduction or Main Claim could be shortened to “Online courses can be just as effective as traditional courses.” That’s it. That’s the statement you’ll be defending.

Then, your first reason is really about flexibility. Flexibility is certainly a reason one might take an online class, but does flexibility necessarily mean more effective? You’ll have to make that link.

Reason #2 is not so much a reason as it is about what good online learning looks like. You might consider reframing that. Maybe it’s that the Web affords multiple forms of interaction that augment what’s possible face-to-face?

Reason #3 is also not a reason why online courses are equally as effective. Remember that your reasons all need to logically follow from the main claim. Furthermore, be careful with claims like this. Not ALL online classes are about busy work and strict deadlines. In fact, this is a common problem across much of the discussion of online learning in the media and amongst policymakers. Online learning is not at all monolithic; it is not one thing. It can look dramatically different across courses. You’ll need to consider that and probably speak to it in your argument.

4. November 11, 2015 at 8:08 pm

LY

Logged in as Cassie Jo. Log out?

• November 11, 2015 at 8:14 pm

I think all of your reasons are very accurate. I can relate to many of your valid points. I work full time, and although I feel like I benefit better from a class I attend is person it fits into my schedule easier to take classes online. I feel like it depends on the teacher as well. Some online classes do give you a lot of busy work, which is extremely time consuming, and you still may not learn as much. Being able to interact with your teacher and students is a huge factor in what school is about. The good thing is with so much technology you can take online classes and still communicate via email, discussion boards, and google groups.

Logged in as Cassie Jo. Log out?

5. Lindsay Parkhurst
    November 17, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I love that you’re also taking the online education route! It’s cool to see the differences between your approach and mine, since you’re focusing on undergraduate education and I’m focusing on secondary education K-12. I see a lot of similarities between our topics, especially the idea that teachers have to be as competent with their technology as the students do in order to be successful. We also both explore the idea of student autonomy (a phrase I hadn’t thought to use until right now) being a driving force behind the success of online learning.