Creating Good Study Habits

Studying is devoting time and attention to gain knowledge on a specific subject. Although it may seem like a relatively easy thing to do, I find that the older I get, the less motivation I have to do it. There’s a different between stress-studying and studying out of habit. I believe that on average, stress-studying is the kind of studying that most college students tend to do. Pulling an all-nighter, the night before a big test or quiz seems to be the go-to move for most students. This is a very bad study habit to create, although if you ask some people they’ll tell you that it works for them.

I don’t disagree that it might work for some people, however there are other methods of studying that have proven to be more effective. My personal experience with studying is to think of it as homework. This might not work for everyone because some people don’t mind not doing their homework. My advice to people that do, is to make it a part of your homework schedule. If you think of studying as homework or something that you have to turn in the next day you will be more likely to get it done. So, changing your mentality about studying would be the first step.

Location plays a very important part in studying. I personally study and do homework better when I’m not around a lot of people because I tend to get distracted. For example, doing homework in the middle of the commons wouldn’t be productive for me; but if I moved down to the underground, then I’ll be able to get my work done and focus. If studying around a lot of people doesn’t bother you then that’s great, but other distractions like television, music, and your phones can defeat the purpose of studying. The ultimate purpose of studying as stated earlier is to gain knowledge. So, allowing yourself to be distracted by other things can ultimately hinder you from learning the information needed for tests and exams.

My last piece of advice would be to study every day. Even though it sounds like a lot to do it will prove to be helpful. Even if it’s just for ten minutes after class while the information is fresh in your brain, it is better than waiting until the last minute, and then trying to cram all the information in your head then night before. Create good study habits now so that the rest of your college life will be easier.

4 Replies to “Creating Good Study Habits”

1. I think that this topic is very important to bring up, especially at this time of the year. We all have a fresh new start for our Spring semester, so we need to start getting in the habit now! I think that you brought up a really good post as to how location really makes a difference. I do a lot of homework in my room because I personally also get distracted when I am surrounded by people. I agree with the fact that a student should study every day. It does not have to be an excessive amount, but enough to be able to retain the information.

2. I agree with this topic and definitely can relate to getting distracted during homework. Another thing I have found helpful was location for me to have a set destination, to train your mind into study mode. Study rooms are great with that, or even the 3rd/4th floor of the library. It’s difficult changing your mentality about homework, but it’s so beneficial in the end. If you think about how much money you’re actually spending here at VCU it can also help motivate you to work hard so the expensive cost of college pays off. We all need to improve on how we study, thank you for sharing your habits.

3. This is a very good blog, and an important one too, because this is something that, not everyone, but a lot of people struggle with. I like how you mentioned the locations of good studying places, that to me is important because everything to me is a distraction, even a small thing too. I also agree that studying everyday is helpful, but we don’t have to study for hours, at least 1 or 2 hours a day can help us in the future. So good job with this blog!

4. The most effective way for me today study personally is rewriting all my notes into my “Test Review-Journal”. This helps me organize important information and have the information sink in. I also try to study 3 days prior to each test so I can work on different sections each day. I know this may sound tedious, but I took 18 credits last semester and got 1 B out of 6 A’s. I’ve been using this method since high school and if you just throw some music on while you’re doing it, it’ll make it easier.