Learning

I learned a lot from my last semester at VCU. I spent so much time overthinking and worrying about things that were out of my control or things that would be over in 30 minutes of less. I had to learn how to manage my time much better than what I was used to and find motivation from somewhere when I absolutely didn’t have any energy left. Last semester was really tough for me because I didn’t have a lot of time in between classes to do homework or study. It was especially difficult because I commute and being on campus until 6 for three days out of the week made getting assignments done and studying a real challenge.

My high school experience was different from most people’s. I took all my courses online and it was all at my own pace. The program that I used gave me all year to finish the assignments, meaning there were no set deadlines from week to week. Everything was due one year from the day I enrolled. It was so easy to get behind and to not work on certain subjects sufficiently but eventually I got the hang of managing my time. Because of this system, I didn’t study a lot for tests and assignments because I could refer back to the lessons and my notes while taking them. At the time this was great, but when I got to college, I realized I didn’t really know how to study. It took me a few exams and quizzes to figure out what studying tactics worked for me and got me the grades I needed. A lot of people say “the first year is just a learning year” but for me it wasn’t because I’m applying to a program that is for first year students and of course they are looking for students that did well their first year.

However, I learned from the first semester that stressing about assignments, quizzes, and exams makes things so much worse at the end of the day doesn’t make you do any better on any quiz, test, or assignment. My approach this semester was to not stress at all (which wounds very unrealistic) but it is helping me so far. Yes, I still get stressed out sometimes, but not nearly as bad or as long as I did before. I know that I’m doing my best and whatever the end result is, is what it’s going to be and worrying about it won’t change that fact. So don’t be too hard on yourself. Don’t slack, but just do your best and don’t stress about the outcomes of situations because it’s not worth it in the long run.

3 Replies to “Learning”

1. I can relate to this blog, I didn’t really know how to study in high school. I was used to studying the night before; it worked for me, I maintained A/B grades & had a good GPA overall. Coming to college I realized this tactic didn’t work for me, I had to change my study habits & learn through failure. I learned how to self motivate myself (better than before), to knock out some of my easier homework before facing my harder assignments. I also realized that worrying about homework & tests really did make it worse; I’d spend 30 mins moping, dreading the work, where I could’ve used that time more wisely to finish the assignment.

2. I understand how it was diffcult to adjust to studying in college, because in high school I never really studied for a lot of my assignments. I definitely agree that stressing over and over about tests, quizzes, and assignments it will not help you out in the long run. I personally tend to overthink and stress out about my assignments. My time management is not the best but I have tried to work on it this semester but it is not that easy. I do think that slacking is a bad habitat to get into because it then becomes harder to break the habit.

3. Trying to focus on not the stress of the assignment instead of the assignment itself is something I struggle with. My mom always has this quote she says to me when ever I am getting stressed out over grades,” give your reasonable best effort.” meaning do the best you can do without killing yourself over every little thing. So taking the no stress approach seems like a great thing to work on. I think it would take some time to learn and figure out but stress control is an importnat skill that I need to figure out for myself.