Female Leadership

Yesterday I attended a Robertson School Speaker event for m global communication class in the University Student Commons Theater. A woman named Kristen Cavallo was the main speaker and she talked about how she became the CEO of the Martin Agency in December of 2017. Although this was an important accomplishment for her, she was mainly there to talk about female leadership. I don’t consider myself a feminist, but I do strongly care about women’s issues, and from what I gathered she had that same view. The main thing was that she wants to see more women in leadership roles, and have it seen as a normal standard.

Yes, there are plenty of women in leadership positions in jobs that they may work in but she stated the fact that men dominate most leadership positions even though studies have shown that when there are more women working on a team, it accounts for more team efficiency, out performance of companies that have more men, and median returns on assets are well over 50% higher. She talked about how she made strides in the company she worked at previously for six years to eliminate wage gaps, increase diversity hires, and producing double digit growth with new clients.

One of the things that I liked that she said and that I find to be very true is that she doesn’t want just all women to be in power. She said she is striving for equality and not the reverse of power. She made it clear that even though studies show that with a more diverse group of women working at a company, it solves and dissolves more problems, there would be our own share of problems if all women were in power. There needs to be an equal balance to help with all issues. Some of the presentation included how hard it was for women in general to get into certain types of leadership positions, but she also talked about how nearly impossible it is to see women of color in certain types of leadership positions. I’m glad that she touched on this because it is the sad truth in the world we live in. Being a woman, trying to get into those leadership positions, you are looked at as a minority. Being anything other than a white woman, you are seen as a double minority. This has to change, and I believe we are the generation to do it.