What We Perceive as “Normal”

When you think of normal, what do you think of? Is your opinion of what normal is the same as the person next to you? Everyone views normal different, but overall there is a general concept of the definition of normal.

No one is identical to someone else, so why do we have this perception of normal?

Well, in today’s society, the way you look and present yourself plays a huge role in how others view you. With social media and just media in general, we are taught at a young age what is acceptable and unacceptable in society. If you don’t follow the basic standards of “normal” you’re seen as weird or an outcast. We do this completely subconsciously a lot of the time, no matter how hard we try to not judge, it’s human nature, especially since we get it drilled into our heads that we have to act a certain way at such a young age.

Luckily, i’m starting to see a slow change in the way we see each other and ourselves. One of the coolest things about living in this generation is the fact that so many people aren’t afraid to be themselves, or speak out against the unfair standards in today’s society. I say a slow change, because it definitely is just now starting to become more popular and accepted. I can’t pin point exactly why or when it began to change, but I think one of the big reasons that the standards were created is actually turning into the reason the standards are being broken. Social Media plays one of the biggest roles in the influence of society, this can be both positive and negative. Instagram is one of the biggest social media apps out on the market, it also contains some of the most prime examples of standards. It’s almost impossible to scroll on instagram without seeing models flaunting their luxury brands, people promoting items that are most of the time just placebos, or seeing thousands of photoshopped images. With a large portion of the population having issues with self image and body image, this can be extremely toxic. But, how do we fix this?

It’s almost impossible to fix such a huge problem with just one solution, but I think the slow change we’re starting to see is helping fix this problem more than we can probably see. People are starting to realize that these standards that we set, are quite impossible to keep up with. When one person goes against the standards, another person is bound to join them. It’s how the standards were created, and I think it’s gonna be the way the standards get shut down.

2 comments for “What We Perceive as “Normal”

1. February 22, 2019 at 5:02 pm

I 100% agree with you on the point that social media paints a picture of what is recognized as right and what is recognized as wrong, and unfortunately many kids take that to heart and feel like outcasts because they don’t meet the standards that are set when on social media platforms. I am very glad to hear that you are starting to change your perception of normal, because you are right everyone should have their own normal. Overall, I really enjoyed the blog and the message you were putting out!

2. February 22, 2019 at 8:09 pm

I also agree that this idea of normality is engrained in our brains when we are very young and it is hard, no matter how much we try, to not to judge others for being different than what we consider “normal” . In my mind, normal isn’t really a thing, it’s just an idea that has been projected onto our society. When I got to college and I began to meet so many different kinds of people from all walks of life, I realized that normal is what you believe it to be. Some people think one thing is “normal” while another group of people could think that that same thing is the weirdest thing they have ever witnessed in their lives. I just think that it’s important for everyone to live their truths and try not to change themselves into what they think normal, because you, just by being you, are perfect just the way you are.