The horror of Grades

As the semester is coming to a quick close, i’m sure many of us have become a bit nervous of our grades, I definitely know I have. I think the most stressful thing about college is the fact that in so many of our classes extremely large chunks of our grade is based on exams or tests. As someone who is extremely bad at taking tests, this is horrible for me.

My whole life I have struggled extremely hard when it comes to tests. I know I know the subject on the test, but no matter how hard I study or how long I drill the information into my head, when I sit down to take the test, it’s like I learned absolutely nothing. I’ve tried so many different study methods but nothing seems to work. So when it comes to classes, I rely a lot on homework and projects to help keep me steady. Exams are extremely stressful and I know for me it puts a lot of pressure on me at once and I kinda just shut down. I actually just took a statistics exam today, I studied for a couple hours each day to prepare myself, and the moment I opened the test, I blanked.

I think the part that sucks the most is that I know I know the material and that I truly do try hard, but the grades I receive on the tests makes it look as if I didn’t try at all. I try to keep a positive mindset, telling myself that as long as I tried my best that’s all that matters, but I still feel like a failure. To my family, when they look at my test scores it seems as if I don’t care about the class or that i’m simply not trying, but in reality i’m trying so extremely hard. Since college is based almost solely around the grades you receive, it’s really hard for someone like me to feel successful. It’s pretty much survival of the fittest, in my opinion. If you cant memorize a pound of material in a short period of time, then you’re screwed. But, someones grades shouldn’t fully define them. I know i’m a hard worker, and I truly care about my education and I think there should be better ways to express our knowledge besides having exams that are worth 90% of our grade.

5 comments for “The horror of Grades

1. April 3, 2019 at 4:27 pm

I could not relate to a blog any more. I also struggle when taking test or exams. I feel like no matter how much I prepare for it, the results will not be what I want it to be. In college, a majority of our grades are based on tests and exams. I feel like there should be a way tests do not weigh so much on our grades. It seems like bombing one test can ultimately cause you to fail, also it is very difficult to do any better when a professor does not offer extra credit. I think I can study a little more, but I am honestly just a choker when it comes to tests.

2. April 3, 2019 at 9:48 pm

I could not agree with you more! I am not the best test taker myself. I believe that professor sna teachers should not rely so heavy on tests. For example, I had a stats test today and I went to a good amount of review sessions in the past few days and when I looked at the test, I as barely remembering anything. I honestly think that it is because my brain is also fried. After spring break, I felt like I was just hit with a ton of bricks as far as assignments and work so just remember to finish the semester out strong, stay positive, and do not stress! We are almost there!!!!!!!

3. April 4, 2019 at 3:36 pm

This post is so relatable to me for this semester. In some of my classes this semester I don’t have many other grades except for exams. This is so terrible for me because I suck at taking tests. Like you said it puts so much pressure on me, especially the night before. For me personally, I have no problem memorizing information. My problem is relying solely on memory. If it’s in my notes or on the power points then I know it, but if it’s something that you have to have background information that isn’t exactly spelled out in the text, then I most likely will not get it.

4. April 4, 2019 at 5:03 pm

I agree SO much with this. I feel like I am such a hard working person. Give me homework, I will do it early. Give me a project and I will pour my heart and soul into it. But when it comes to exams I seem to forget everything and it makes me look like such a bad student. The worse feeling is my parents looking at my midterm grades and thinking that I am goofing off or not taking college seriously, when in reality I spend 90% of my time on schoolwork. My mom understands the struggle 100% because she was a medical student and struggled a lot in college. However my dad went into the military and doesn’t understand how difficult it can be so I always feel like I am disappointing him.

5. April 5, 2019 at 4:24 pm

This whole post is basically what I am dealing with too. When a test is coming up, I try my best to study, but sometimes I have trouble finding a good study method, but flashcards have been helping me out. When the test comes, I feel confident and ready because I know I studied for this. But right as I looked at the test, my mind goes blank, and it feels that I have forgotten everything, and it makes it worse when I taking a test in 50 min time spam because that class would be 50 mins long. I don’t like the idea that my 50 min lectures give me 50 mins for taking a test, it’s too much pressure on me.