Dogs

This whole week I have struggled to think of a topic to write about. So, i’m deciding to write about one of my favorite things in the world, dogs.

My whole life i’ve been absolutely in love with all animals, but dogs have always had a little extra space in my heart. I don’t know exactly where my love of dogs began, but I honestly cant remember a time when I wasn’t obsessed with the four legged friends. I didn’t get my first dog until I was about 7, and although she was a crazy little puppy, she brought so much joy into my life. I just recently got another dog for my birthday, she’s a lot larger than my first one, but she’s a huge lap dog and absolutely loves cuddling, which is one of the many reasons I love dogs, if you’ve had a horrible or even an amazing day, they’re always there to cheer you up.¬†Having to leave both of my dogs at home while I moved to college, was probably one of the hardest thing’s i’ve had to do.

Usually i’ve always been a very happy, positive person, but when I got diagnosed with my disease three years ago, that took a huge toll on my mental health. One of the many side effects of not only my disease but also all the medications I was on was depression. Since I had been so positive before hand, I never thought I would become clinically depressed, but I did and it was and still is one of the hardest things I have to deal with. I’ve tried to find ways to help with my depression but it’s almost impossible to help. But, one thing that¬†has helped a lot, is being able to interact with dogs. As many people may or may not know, dogs are known to be one of the best helps against stress, anxiety, and depression. They can sense when someone is upset or angry, and can actually help a lot when it comes to changing someones mood.

Although I had to leave my dogs at home, wherever you go on campus, you can most likely come to face with a dog. Even though i’m a little too shy to ask to pet them, just seeing a dog can almost instantly cheer me up. I don’t know exactly why or how just simply seeing a dog can change my mood instantly, but it does. My friends always poke at me for being able to spot a dog from far distances, but I absolutely love it when i’m just walking around campus and I spot a fluffy dog walking or playing, especially in the park.

I may be weird, but I think dogs are one of the best pets/friends to have. Without my two dogs I probably would be in a much darker place in my life.

Post navigation

3 comments for “Dogs

1. April 19, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Ahhhhh I love this post. I feel like many people can easily relate to this post in some form. Somehow dogs just bring out a happy side in me as well and I love it. I too have a dog at home that I had to leave behind for college and I am so excited to be reunited. Like you said, constantly seeing dogs around campus is so nice and I usually ask to pet them which honestly brightens my day for sure if I am in a bad mood or feeling a little down that day. I’m glad that even though you may not fully be cured from depression that you have found something in your life that can cheer you up!

2. April 19, 2019 at 9:48 pm

I don’t think you are weird for enjoying the presence of a dog. I am sure millions of people feel the same way you do, because I most certainly am one of those people. When I was a baby and living in California, I had two big friendly vizslas. My brother was the one who got to name them, and he had the privilege to name them while he was going through his boyhood construction phase. They got stuck with the names Digger and Crane, which when they grew up I believe they grew into their names very well. Then a problem happened and we had to move to Virginia in 2006 where we have been ever since. A couple years passed and both Digger and Crane had to be put down. Sadly, we never got another animal because my sister has allergies, but I know when I can I will be getting my own pup. Preferably a cute little chubby pug or any lap dog because I really love cuddles from those beautiful creatures. Whenever I see a dog on campus, I too get overly excited. I admit I will stop any and all conversation to point out that there is a cute dog passing by whoever I am with. It is the best feeling in the world and I don’t think there is anything better in the world.

3. April 22, 2019 at 9:53 pm

Yeah I totally agree, dogs are amazing animals and are very good at cheering people up. They are never mad at you and they always just want your love. They are so fun to play with and they all have different personalities which is cool to see. I went to an Easter even this weekend and there were so many puppies and me and my girlfriend loved it. She loves dogs sooo much, so even when she was tired of walking, she still perked when ever a dog would walk by. We also brought our friends dog which was fun they just bring light to any situation.