My Diagnosis

My life changed drastically on the morning of March 19th, 2016.

It was a somewhat normal Tuesday evening, I went to bed pretty early that night at around 10pm since I was having stomach pains. My entire life i’ve struggled with stomach pains, so I never really thought anything of it. It wasn’t until around 12am when I woke up from a horrible stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. I did my normal pain reliever routine and popped some pills before trying to go back to sleep, but this time that didn’t work. I tossed and turned in bed until about 2am when I decided to go tell my mom. Since I had a history of stomach pains, my mom just brushed it off and told me to back to bed, so I did. Well, I tried. It wasn’t until another hour or so later that I realized something was really wrong. So I went back into her room, but this time I told her something was really wrong, and that I needed to go to the hospital. I was in so much pain I couldn’t even stand up, it was even a struggle to walk to my moms room. It took her a little bit to fully wake up but she took one look at me and knew we needed to go to the ER, so that’s what we did.

We rushed to the ER and since it was around 4am, we were taken back immediately. I’ve always been the problematic child when it comes to health wise, I had actually just been in the hospital not even 3 weeks before from getting second and third degree burns on my arms for trying to make donuts with oil. So, my mom wasn’t the happiest since I was costing her another $200+ for needing to go to the hospital, but I just knew something was horribly wrong, and it was. After running some tests they found my white blood count was extremely high, and if you don’t know, when your white blood count is high, that means your body is fighting against something. So pretty much my body was fighting itself. When they saw that, they decided to get a CT scan, by this time I was knocked up on pain meds so I was straight chillin, so they walked me to the CT room and I got the scan. It took about an hour for them to get the scan back, and I had just gotten to sleep when the doctor comes in. He immediately tells us that he thinks I have, Crohns Disease, explaining to us the severity and that I would need to see a specialist as soon as I can, so we did. Now, I live in a pretty small town, and Crohn’s is quite rare so we were a bit skeptical.

I went to a specialist at UVA, who is now my main doctor, and even he was skeptical that I had it, especially since some random doctor at a small hospital was able to point it out exactly. So, after one visit he scheduled for me to have a colonoscopy, and thats where he saw just how bad my intestines were. It was without a doubt Crohns Disease. Crohn’s is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which for me caused hundreds of ulcers on the lining of my small intestine, colon, and large intestine. To put to scale just how bad it is, when he was doing the colonoscopy, which is when they go in with a really small camera to see the inside of your bowel, he couldn’t even get half way through without having to stop because my intestines were so blocked by the ulcers. If I hadn’t gone to the hospital when I did, I would probably be living without a large portion of my intestines by now. It starts as ulcers but eventually the ulcers can turn into dead tissue, or cancer, which in return I would have to get it removed.

Over the course of pretty much two months, my entire life changed. I went from being able to eat literally everything I wanted, to not being able to have simple foods like ice cream, pizza, spaghetti, or even steak. I became really depressed and isolated myself from pretty much everyone because I didn’t want to be the “sick kid” that everyone feels bad for. It really took me until this past summer to come to terms with everything. Although there’s still times were I feel like the world is just pushing me for the fun of it, I know to take every hit and bullet with a smile (or a joke). I’m currently in remission but Crohns disease is very unpredictable and I could end up in the hospital at any moment, which is extremely scary. But I believe everything happens for a reason. So, i’m glad I was able to have 15 years of being able to eat whatever I want, but now I have a whole new outlook on life and would like to spread more awareness for illnesses like mine that are “invisible”.

If you made it this far, THANK YOU, I didn’t plan on writing this much but I really had no idea what to write about so I decided to write about something that effects me daily! so thank you for reading 🙂

Post navigation