Op-Ed

Maura Richardson

UNIV 111

Professor Galligan

October 31, 2018

Writers Memo

I think in total outside class time, I’ve spent about four to five hours on the whole essay, revision and process in all. I actually chose this topic instantly after looking at the list on the paper. Being a health major, Healthcare really stood out to me and interested me. I feel like I chose the less political route, which is kinda what I wanted. I’m not a huge fan of politics and debating, so I wanted to choose something that was more factual rather than something that is bias/choosing sides. I went in having somewhat of an idea of my topic, mostly from the internet and somewhat assuming that there’s a huge gap in healthcare with immigrants and non immigrants.

I actually didn’t make too many revisions to the essay. Most of my peer edits were grammatical errors or tiny sentence mistakes. After speaking with Kurtis during our 2nddraft session, he mentioned that I needed to add my opinion on how to change the gap in the healthcare. So, my biggest revision was adding that portion to my essay while fixing the other mistakes that they pointed out for me.

When it comes to “global” aspects, I’m actually pretty confident in the topic that I chose. I think it’s definitely something that many people don’t talk about, but needs to be talked about. One of the things I’m least confident about is the emotion in my essay. I feel that my true emotion for this topic didn’t come out as well as I hoped it would, so I’m definitely going to focus on making sure my emotion gets across in my next essay. Now, when it comes to “local” aspects, I think I did somewhat better at setting up my essay, and tried a lot more to have my transitions make sense. Something I’m not so confident about though is I think the flow of some of the sentences may come off as rushed, or not making sense.

If I had more time, I would definitely work on the emotion part of the essay, and maybe add more depth to my paragraphs to help the reader understand it better. With those changes, I probably would only needed another day or two to make those changes. As for feedback, I would like to know if I got any better at my citing and transitions, since those were two things I struggled a bit on in the last essay. I’m really hoping I get around a B on this, since I know I made some mistakes but I hope they weren’t too catastrophic.

Healthcare within Immigrants

In today’s media, a lot of the talk about immigration has to do with border control or illegal immigrants “taking our jobs”. But, many people don’t look at the healthcare side of immigration. There is a wide array of topics to talk about when it comes to immigration, especially with how political it has gotten in the past couple years. But, being a healthcare major, anything involving the health of others or the healthcare system in general really sparks an interest in me.

How much do you think the average American makes a year? $30,000? Maybe even $40,000? Well, according to thebalancecareer.com, the annual earning for those working in service jobs is an average of $28,028. Now, overall, that average seems quite large, but when you consider that most of the population works 9-5 jobs, $28,028 seems a lot lower than what some workers deserve. You’re probably wondering how this plays a role in Healthcare and immigrants, but it actually plays a huge role.

If the average worker makes just $28,000 annually, you can probably imagine how low

the annual income is for someone who doesn’t have a high school or college degree. Many immigrants come to America lacking basic education but have extremely great work ethic. When they’re in America, a lot of immigrants work usual service jobs, like construction, fast food, yard cleaning, etc. They’ll work extremely tedious hours, just to get paid either minimum wage or barely minimum wage. That average may be okay for someone who has basic expenses to cover but, when you start adding on children, animals, and other expenses that could interfere, that average starts to get smaller and smaller. That’s why many immigrants are unable to get healthcare or refuse to get healthcare. Without healthcare, like with anyone who is unable to receive healthcare, many immigrants can’t seek the basic help needed for small sickness like the flu or broken bones. More recently, I’ve seen a lot of Go Fund Me’s for immigrants who are unable to pay for extremely needed medical help, like chemo or radiation needed for cancers.

In 2017, the average national cost for single coverage insurance was $393/month and has increased by 99 percent since 2013. As for family coverage, the monthly cost for premiums is around $1,021 (Pennza, Amy). Now, with the cost of insurance, added to the cost of basic necessities like groceries, a home, electric, and other expenses that many people see as a need, many immigrants decide to completely shove health insurance to the side since many are unable to afford it. Many people believe that immigrants are the cause of increased healthcare premiums, and issues with obtaining healthcare, but in reality, most immigrants don’t even receive healthcare. In the article Immigrants use less healthcare than people born in the U.S written by Lisa Rapaport, she writes that “undocumented immigrants account for 1.4 percent of total medical expenditures in the U.S. even though they make up five percent of the population,” which is extremely surprising to me, since the media has us believing that immigrants just come over here to take advantage of our healthcare system. Between 1999 and 2006, the annual spending for immigrants in for healthcare only went up by $500, while it went up by $1,000 for U.S citizens. That means, when it comes to who pays out-of-pocket more, immigrants take the trophy for that.

The cost of healthcare isn’t the only issue many immigrants are facing, for those who do want healthcare, the process of getting accepted for programs like Medicaid is extremely long and can take months or even years before they can be covered. Because of that, many immigrants go to private pay doctors in their communities instead of going to government run facilities and some even go as far as to go back to their home countries to help with their healthcare needs. I couldn’t imagine having to travel thousands of miles just to receive healthcare. Which, in return could end up costing more than if they were to get healthcare. The cost of insurance on top of the length of time it takes to get approved for healthcare programs, it’s almost impossible for immigrants to get full healthcare. Many people may say “oh they can just get a job with healthcare benefits” or “maybe if they had a better job” etc. But, in reality, those are extremely hard, even for a US citizen to get. Getting jobs in modern day is already hard as it is, but being from another country, not knowing a lot of English, and or not having a high education just adds to the struggle. Also, many employers refuse to hire someone undocumented, which makes it not only unfair, but extremely hard for immigrants to get jobs.

Now, since the Trump administration came into office, the number of immigrants getting healthcare coverage has drastically declined, due to fears from the community and an increased focus on enforcement of immigrants. And, due to recent cuts in funding, it has made it extremely hard for immigrants to get covered, even if they qualify. To me, I find it extremely unfair how we not only treat immigrants in general, but how we shut them out of getting basic necessities like healthcare. I think there are many ways we can regulate immigration while still treating those who come here as actual people. I think there is a huge stereotype about immigrants that needs to be broken in order for us to move forward as a country. One of the changes that can happen is we need to start focusing on the immigrants that are in our country instead of just on the ones trying to get into our country. Most immigrants don’t have jobs or even basic necessities needed to live a healthy life. Why is it fair for citizens to have those things, but people who risk their life to come to America for a new beginning, don’t? I think instead if dehumanizing them, we need to treat the immigrants the same as we treat other citizens.

Works Cited

Average Summary Information. 14 Aug. 2018,

www.thebalancecareers.com/average-salary-information-for-us-workers-2060808

This article is a fact sheet on the average salaries for workers in the US. It goes into

depth about the pay gaps, and the averages between ages and races. It also provides salary

calculators for people who would like to find the average salary for their chosen occupation.

Pennza, Amy. “How much does individual health insurance cost?” People Keep, 14 Feb. 2017, www.peoplekeep.com/blog/bid/97380/faq-how-much-does-individual-health-insurance-cost.

In this article, Amy Pennza goes into depth about the average cost for a household to have

healthcare. She goes into the statistics of healthcare premiums and the differences between individual healthcare and group

healthcare.

Rapaport, Lisa. “Immigrants use less healthcare than US citizens.” Reuters, 13 Sept. 2018,

www.reuters.com/article/us-health-costs-immigration/immigrants-use-less-healthcare-than-people-born-in-u-s-idUSKCN1LT3BW.

In this article, Lisa Rapaport emphasizes on the fact that Immigrants use less healthcare than anyone in

the US. She uses a lot of numbers and a well known source to back up her points in the article. It comes off slightly bias, but I

think she is really trying to persuade readers that Immigrants dont use as much healthcare as people believe they do.

Picture Reference

https://yaleglobalhealthreview.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/5159428825_9a71480cd5_o.jpg