Nugget: A Sci-Fi Future for Linklider

“Throughout the period I examined, in short, my “thinking” time was devoted mainly to activities that were essentially clerical or mechanical: searching, calculating, plotting, transforming, determining the logical or dynamic consequences of a set of assumptions or hypotheses, preparing the way for a decision or an insight. Moreover, my choices of what to attempt and what not to attempt were determined to an embarrassingly great extent by considerations of clerical feasibility, not intellectual capability.
Any present-day large-scale computer is too fast and too costly for real-time cooperative thinking with one man. Clearly, for the sake of efficiency and economy, the computer must divide its time among many users. Timesharing systems are currently under active development. There are even arrangements to keep users from “clobbering” anything but their own personal programs.
Computing machines can do readily, well, and rapidly many things that are difficult or impossible for man, and men can do readily and well, though not rapidly, many things that are difficult or impossible for computers. That suggests that a symbiotic cooperation, if successful in integrating the positive characteristics of men and computers, would be of great value. The differences in speed and in language, of course, pose difficulties that must be overcome.”
Presumably man’s spirit should be elevated if he can better review his shady past and analyze more completely and objectively his present problems. He has built a civilization so complex that he needs to mechanize his records more fully if he is to push his experiment to its logical conclusion and not merely become bogged down part way there by overtaxing his limited memory. His excursions may be more enjoyable if he can reacquire the privilege of forgetting the manifold things he does not need to have immediately at hand, with some assurance that he can find them again if they prove important.”
___________________________________________________________________________
Technology has certainly changed from the time Linklider (1960) wrote that article. Today we not only have super fast computers at our fingertips that allow us to preserve our memories for more important things (or so we hope). We don’t need to keep facts in our minds because they can be called up in a second on Google. The older generation might worry about us not having good attention spans to read a whole book or remember facts at a moment’s notice. But I think we have a pretty good deal now because there is no need to remember so many things. Learning poems and tables by heart is a thing of the past. We may not even need to learn a new language to converse with someone thanks to the many translation softwares and applications available. Here is one called iTranslate. In addition to these, voice-recognition softwares like Siri and Dragon. Siri’s tag line is literally, “Your wish is its command,” which is pretty much like having one’s own genie on our phone!

Besides these marvels that Linklider (1960) nor Bush (1945) could have imagined, there are also medical uses of technology that are not only saving lives but enabling people with certain illnesses and disabilities to live healthier and productive lives. Some examples are: The Cochlear Implant for deaf people that was invented in 1982, prosthetic limbs, laser surgery to correct vision defects, a new stem-cell research that is in its initial stages to cure some types of blindness, heart-pacemakers etc. Besides major advances in medical treatments, technology is also enhancing our lives in new and unheard of ways. The most recent developments are: Google glasses, which can actually look up anything you want, even how to say something in a different language! Check out this music producer asking for something in a foreign language.

Explorer Story: Young Guru [through Google Glass]

And now Brown University has come up with “the first wireless, implantable, rechargeable, long-term brain-computer interface” or BCI for short. These little devices as small as a pacemaker are imbedded into our brains. It has already been tested in animals, and now its time for real human trials. I bet Linklider never imagined this would ever be possible!

Reporting My Dream

Based on me last post about My Dream, it shows that I am not very savvy when it comes with the internet. I only use it to have a few laughs and learn new things. I do not use social networking sites for pleasure and I only have accounts with them for communication. I wanted to make the internet as useful as possible by making sure I learn new things about finances and investing. Although I admit that some websites that I visit are for entertainment, the bulk of my surfing time are concentrated on finance and stock related websites. Am I very eager to grow my little savings for my future. While at the same time, equip me with the right skills when it comes to my career path on finance.

What Will I Dream?

Honestly, I no longer find the internet exciting. In its early years I was really checking out sites everyday just for the fun of discovering new things. However, after several years of surfing, I got tired of doing the same routine. I do use it unless I need to communicate or do a research for school. Still, I do like some websites that I regularly visit. One of them is Youtube. I know that the site contains millions of videos but I usually like watching movie trailers. I am fond of watching movies so whenever there is a chance, I search for new trailers of upcoming movies. It makes me excited whenever there is a new trailer about my favorite genre like science fiction, mystery and even horror. Another site that I am regularly visiting is Bloomberg. I am not a very good investor but I like to see the different charts in Bloomberg’s stock market section. I have some savings and would like to put them in mutual funds. That’s why I want to regularly check which stocks are performing well. Someday, I would like to be a good investor. I want to buy shares of companies not only through mutual funds but also in real brokerage. If I want to have a relaxing surfing time, I would simply go to 9gag. Most of the pictures there are funny and sometimes sarcastic. Anyway, the site gives me a more relaxing mood whenever I discover funny pictures.

http://9gag.com/gag/aM1ePzP?ref=android

Saif Dream

There is one particular movie trailer that I keep watching. It is from X Men Days of Future Past

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsjtg7m1MMM

Saif Dream1

Here’s one Bloomberg Image that I like regarding investing during low shares value

Saif Dream4

Someday I want to be good with stocks investing.

Screenshot Analysis

The trails that I leave on my web history show the interconnections that the human brain finds in various ideas. From the YouTube page that attempts to answer the question of “Who invented the internet and why” to the history of the cold war and how it motivated the growth of computers then to Charles Babbage, Douglas Engelbart and Frederick Terman and their contributions all the research is connected to the rise of the computer age. The human thought processes attempt to connect various ideas and inventions and how they ultimately led to the creation of what may one day become the ultimate ‘memex’ that Bush wrote about in 1945. My thought processes are interested in the biographies of these men who invented computing and the World Wide Web. With every word from the You Tube video on which my nugget was based, my brain was trying to create a historical trail from the origin of the computer to the present day uses of the internet and the Web. It files away anything unrelated to my research and only pays attention to what is currently important while at the same time finding out more about the focus subjects.

Untitled

The potentials of the internet

Vannevar Bush’s article led me to ask myself the question, “Who invented the internet, and why?” As we live in the 21st century, we have become accustomed to the way computing works and taken for granted how it has transformed our lived. Looking at life in 1945 would give us a greater appreciation for how much simpler it is to acquire knowledge and how much easier it is to concentrate on items that are significant at the moment while recording the currently inconsequential for future review. It has become easier for ideas to be passed on from one generation to another and from one school of learning to another. Long gone are the days of Gottfried Leibnitz when his brilliant ideas in mathematics, philosophy, linguistics, probability theory and computer science could not be implemented as their recordings became scattered or the days of Charles Babbage, when his ideas became delayed for years because of lack of technology to test them.

In some ways, we are about to achieve the “prophecy” of Bush of the memex, the “wholly new form of encyclopedias” which have a mesh of associative trails that can be amplified for use by all. Bush’s predictions about how knowledge may become easy to access are coming true. With the advent of technological discoveries such as mobile phones’ kindles, ipads, computers and most importantly, the internet, it has become easy to access associative trails of information and make connections where it would have been almost inpossible to do so. It has also become easier to record scientific discoveries in all fields of science. The lawyer can access all the precedents, opinions and decisions with direct connection to his current case, the police can detect serial crimes in different regions and come up with criminal and victim profile and human behavior analysis has become a science. Fields such as chemistry and medicine have become more advanced with the ability to access journals such as The Lancet and great strides have taken place with video cameras and live streams from operation tables. Bush inspired men like Douglas Engelbart and Frederick Terman whose work in Stanford led to the creation ofSilicon Valley, computers and the internet. Through these advances in technology, pages of virtual encyclopedias, journals, research findings, academic papers, books and speeches can be saved in browser histories or bookmarked for further consultation while at the same time taking microseconds to find interrelated information through trails formed via such engines such as Google and Bing.

technology2

How It Feels When I Think

When I think I feel that there is an impulse of energy coming from my head. As I think, I feel the energy is moving out from my and depending on the idea, it can affect the world outside my head, and everything around me. Thinking is exciting and relaxing to me. When I think, I am able to process things that happened, and figure out my next goals. It gives me a chance to rest and find myself again. Thinking also gives me ideas that can excite and motivate me, or solve a problem at hand.

97469339-thinking-person-abstract-1.2