Analyzing the obvious

The sky is blue.

Time: 7:10 pm

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.14.54 PM

After analyzing this obvious question I feel like I achieved a good idea of how I interacted with my computer.  I initially asked google why the sky is blue. After getting results with animated graphics that were catered more towards children, I realized that I needed to refine my search to get more scientific responses as to why the sky is that color. Here is an example of one of my first results

sunset.en

After further refining my search to ask what creates the sky’s pigmentation, or what reflection causes the sky’s blue color I got several more answers from more reliable sources. I interacted with my computer by giving it directions, I wanted more scientific answers for my question and I directed my computer to give me the answers I wanted not the answers I did not want.  To be more specific, I get more than just an answer by interacting with my computer, I got more information than I thought I would. The sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light, also when we look towards the sun at sunset we see red and orange colors because the blue light has been scatter out and away from the line of sight. Refining my search I learned so much more, such as the Tyndall effect, why the sky does not turn violet and about Opalescence.

Image_3

The Tyndall effect is represented by the image above and was discovered by John Tyndall who found that when light passes through a clear fluid holding small particles in suspension, the shorter blue wavelengths are scattered more strongly than the red. Asking why the sky is blue is an obvious question, and I was surprised by how such an obvious question lead me to interesting information I would have never found had I not asked it. Without a computer, I would have never known about the Tyndall effect, I would have only known why the sky is blue and not why sunsets are red and orange, and why the sky isn’t green or violet instead.

24sun_and_sky

Using Google on my computer gave me answers to more than I even asked for. When I gave my computer little, it gave me little answers and a small part of a bigger picture. When I asked for more, my computer gave me bigger ideas than just why the sky was blue, and more answers fueling more questions. Basically, the way my computer and I interacted was ask and receive with no limits because the computer has a lot to give, we just need to ask for it.

,

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes