During my everyday routine, I make it a habit to walk from my dorm, Johnson, to see my best friends who live in GRC. Usually, I have my headphones in listening to music and look at my phone for most of the walk. It is a habit to have tunnel vision while walking to my normal destination. Today, I chose to do something a little different. I chose to stop for a couple of minutes and take in my surroundings with each of my senses. I stopped in front of the Cathedral and N Laurel Street. First, I took a second to look at my destination….

GRC; My destination

I realized how beautiful and big GRC actually was.

I then stood and listened to the sounds around me. I could hear the people on skateboards doing cool tricks, a girl talking on their phone with her mom about a roommate incident, someone behind me heavily walking, with a scuff in their step, a girl’s clicking booties like a horse would sound, and cars passing by me. While taking all of the sounds around me in, I started to become aware of the smells. I could smell the crisp breeze glide by me as it passed. Just as the crisp breeze passed, I got a whiff of a car’s burning gas fly by, which wasn’t pleasant. Also, as the breeze blew by, I could feel it push its way through the palms of my hands and in between my fingers.

I have always been on a schedule or in a hurry to get to my destination that I have never stopped to observe and take in my surroundings. It was nice to take a step back out of my everyday life and actually examine what is around me. I’m always in such a rush to get to my destination I never recognize the journey on the way there. A big chunk of my time walking somewhere is spent looking at my phone not examining the fantastic features of earth around me. The City and The City has a way of conveying this. Each side of the city is so set on their destination and fixed on not observing the other side’s city. These rules they are following impairs their opportunity to take a step back from reality and really observe and take in the cities.