Cecilia's Ram Page

Focused Inquiry UNIV 112

Caring

The Ethics of Caring In Environmental Ethics defined care ethics in a way I could deeply understand. It is based on the caretaking of self and others. Not only should you be caring for yourself but for others as well, including nonhuman objects. This passage highlights the importance of caring for our environment, such as the water and trees. If we did not have trees and water, we would not be able to survive. We are killing ourselves by destroying our community. I connected this piece with the Black Women and Motherhood by Patricia Hill Collins. Collins expresses the perception of all white men and women, as well as black men and women on black motherhood. She states that black mothers seem to become apart of the term “othermothers.” Othermothers consist of caring and nurture children of the community as if they were their own. I connected the two passages because they both consist of pointing out how they affect the community. By caring for trees as if they were our children is the same as being a othermother. Without care/caretaking we would have nothing. Everyone would be egocentric and not think twice of the effects it would have on others and our community. Caring is very different from utilitarianism. Utilitarianism is based on looking past self interest to benefit the greater good for the better number. Caring includes paying close attention to the needs of self and also for others.

Previous

For the ‘Greater Good’

1. I like how you connected the “Ethics of Caring in Environmental Ethics” and the “Black Women and Motherhood”. I personally feel that the mothers in my community really hold my community together. I also agree with you with your statement about how we should care for our communities. If we don’t care about the land and water, we won’t have a community to even live in. I guess I didn’t really think about the relationships that you could even have with nonhuman objects until I read your posts. It made me realize that relationships could be made with more than just people and animals.

2. I didn’t really make the connection and I’m glad you showed me. I was a little confused on the definition of utilitarianism, so I’m glad you could clear that up.

3. I definitely agree with you here. Everyone needs to pay attention to the little things like taking care of trees. I think people overlook the importance of trees and they don’t realize how important they are for our environment.

4. I definitely agree with you. Everyone needs to pay attention to the little things like taking care of trees. I think people overlook the importance of trees and they don’t realize how important they are for our environment.