Life after Freshman Year

As of right now, I am currently worried about midterms,  grades, exams, and just classes in general. As I am in the midpoint of my 2nd semester, we also have to start thinking about sophomore year. It’s crazy to me how fast time is moving, it seems like just yesterday I was moving all of my things in to GRC. Not only do we have to worry about our current situations now with grades and school, but we also have to start wondering about housing for the following year.

As of right now, I am planning to live with three of my friends in a house for the next school year. There is a lot that goes into finding a new place to live. You have to take in account who you will live with, where, price, and much more. I am hoping this house follows through because it will be so much fun to live with these people. You have to be really careful when deciding on housing though, it is a very important decision. You have to find a place that has a lease that everyone is fine with, and are capable of paying for. There is also a lot you should do before signing a lease. You should always make sure you talk to your parents and figure it if it is the best thing to do. As of right now, I am currently unsure where I am living, but I know I need to figure it out soon. The thing about Richmond, is that it is not an easy place to live. Places are very expensive, and it can get hectic for parking and looking for places, especially when so many other people are also looking and signing leases.

Another thing about next year is that I will have to be more independent. As a freshman, I am living in a dorm that has a place for laundry, gym, kitchen, study rooms, etc. When you are no longer a freshman, you do not have much of these luxuries. You will have to be able to take care of yourself. Also, as a freshman, I have a very large meal plan. This means I never really needed to cook for myself since I had swipes and dining dollars to feed me. Since I have to pay rent, water, gas, etc I plan to not have a meal plan or a large one since I have to pay for so much. Next year and the following years will be very fun but also expensive. I can not wait to see what lies ahead of me though.

3 Replies to “Life after Freshman Year”

1. It’s very scary to realize how fast each of our lives are moving and how quickly this ear has gone by. VCU seems to have a culture of independence after freshman year, and it is a daunting thing to everyone. being responsible for your own food, housing, utilities, etc, is overwhelming and i think a lot of people have no idea where to start. Although our collective youths are seemingly slipping away and we are all getting older than we’d like, I personally welcome this new change and I am excited to see how these next few years unfold and what they will offer me.

2. I understand your concerns. I may still suggest a meal plan. Only being because if you go somewhere where you have to pay for utilities then you will have to pay for water, gas, heat, etc. When you aren’t cooking you are saving yourself from using those appliances so that way you don’t have to pay more than you normally would. It is important to learn how to learn how to use sparingly. So if you’re paying electricity, then don’t have lights on during the day. Open your curtains and have natural light Come in. Unplug anything that doesn’t have to stay in all day. A refrigerator you would keep plugged in all day but chargers, microwave, hair dryer, etc. I commute so I don’t really face much of these issues. I don’t mind commuting because my parents are really chill and understand a college experience is important that as long as they know where I am and have a ride home, or come in the door quietly then I’m okay. It’s nice to not have to stress over those things financially but it would be nice to have my own place. I hope it all works out for you in the end and that this becomes a learning process and you take on the challenge of adulting!

3. It is crazy how fast time flies! I feel the same way. The more I think about it, we are almost done with our first year of college! I am excited for summer for sure, but is insane how quick it went by. Next year I will be living with my three best friends in Cary and Belvidere. I am excited to progress throughout school and get deeper into my major with more classes, but I sometimes still think I am in high school. I have to remind myself that I am going to be 19 years old and am growing up, as weird as that sounds. What really reminds me how fast time is going is that my older sister is going to be graduating from George Mason in the spring. Going back to what you mentioned, having to be more independent next year will be scary, but it will help us learn and become adults. We have to learn sometime! It is just coming faster than we thought!