UNIV

Today I presented my final oral presentation for the school year. Completing it and hearing what everyone had to say made me want to write about it in my blog. Hearing about what everyone had to say was very good but also a little sad. The people in my UNIV class were all very kind and nobody treated anybody in a bad way. I am going to miss this class a lot moving forward.

From the beginning of the school year to now, I have grown so much. I have grown as a person and in my reading and writing skills. At the start of the year, I was very sheltered and did not want to get out of my shell. Throughout the year, I challenged myself to speak more in class and to meet other people. I was able to do this mostly with the people I sat with and through peer review. Everyone in my UNIV class was comfortable with each other which made it easier to speak and get out of my shell. All of the readings, blogs, conversation logs have allowed me to grow in my reading and writing skills. They were a small part that led to such big improvements in my papers and essays. Another thing in the school year that allowed me to improve in my reading and writing skills was the novel ‘The City & The City.’ This novel and all of the work and paper we did really had me think and read critically. The novel itself was already difficult for me to understand. Reflecting back, I know that UNIV has allowed me to understand it by reading it critically, this meant re reading, taking notes, and looking up words I did not know. Also, the multimodal project and source play allowed me to be critical in my work. I have never written a play before or written a paper about a creative piece that I created. I had to analyze my sources critically and use everything I have learned.

Throughout the school year, there were also things that I struggle with. The number 1 thing I struggled with throughout the entire year would be my sources. This included finding and citing my sources. I found it difficult with sources because I just could not identify what made sources good or if they were good for what I am working on. I know I still have a lot of work to do when it comes to sources. Also, something I struggled with throughout the year was procrastination. I was used to saving assignments and papers last minute but UNIV made me understand to get things done in a timely manner. I still procrastinate a lot but not as much as I used to.

4 Replies to “UNIV”

1. I completely agree while I was first question as to why we had to take focused inquiry I have come to see that focused inquiry was one of the most useful courses I have taken thus far. It has taken all of the skills that I have learned thus far from reading, writing, as well as presentation skills and brought them us to a college level and shown me how I need to go about using all these skills in the future. I am glad that this class had done this as none of my other classes have shown me how to bring my skills up to an acceptable college level.

2. I think that this class was a great experience. I didn’t realize that our class was so much more supportive of our peers than other classes but now that everybody in their reflections have said that and also the professor said it towards the end of class, now I know that we were special. For me, I changed throughout the year as well, I am never an open box, as I need to know how people operate first before I open up to them. The first semester, I didn’t really talk in my table, I never really raised my hand in class, and a lot of times I felt tired and bored. Second semester I made the best out of the class, I raised my hand and added very good insights to all discussions. This caused me to be able to talk to my new table, the professor more, and enjoy the class more. I suggest that every college student take this class as it is an eye opener to people who think one certain way.

3. Even though at times I really didn’t like this class, it grew on me a lot. I became a much better student through this class because I became stronger in my writing and I learned how to cope with a good sized workload as a new college student. I also agree with your little piece on procrastination. I will also be a procrastinator but this class did teach me that you can still be one and get things done on time if you just manage your time correctly. I didn’t realize it till now, but FI really helped me become better overall academically and it taught me a few life skills that I’m excited to apply to the real world.

4. Focused Inquiry has been a challenging class, but extremely beneficial. I am so proud of how far I have come since the beginning of the semester. I have improved on so many skills and I have to thank Professor Galligan for pushing me to become better than I was before. I also really enjoyed the students in my class. I have found a few great friends in there and I always enjoyed working with everyone. The skills we have developed will benefit all of us as we continue on our college journey and into our respective careers. I am happy to have been a part of such a great group of people who all helped each other progress throughout the year.