Concept Experience #3: Diigo inspires creativity

Diigo, a social bookmarking site that has allowed users the ability to not only share virtually anything they want but also highlight and note things that they feel is important. This tool is perfect for research that needs multiple perspectives and sources. However, what Diigo really can do, is help with problem solving because research is a vital part of problem solving and resolution. In Douglas Englebart’s, Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework, he discusses the concept behind “augmentation” and human intellect and how this should be at the forefront of research because human intellect is the strongest power to the world and to overall problem solving. Diigo fits perfectly into what the author discusses because the author talks about comprehension. Comprehension is not just the ability to read but to understand what you are reading and to be able to analyze that information for a greater purpose. That is what Diigo does, it sort of forces comprehension and understanding of sources, not only for myself but for others as well. If one takes a look at your notes and annotations, it may help them better understand the concept or even help them formulate their own answers and ideas; thus problem solving.

Why Engebart’s piece fits perfectly into this social bookmarking site, is because the site fosters human intellect and it does so on a big spectrum. Diigo gets individuals engaged which is not only an important part to human intellect but to the world in general. Diigo helps individuals understand things together but what it also does is gives speed to information sharing.

As I found my articles to relate to my topic, I realized that a metaphor that would go perfectly would be that of paint. Each of my articles is paint to finish my masterpiece. Paint has a variety of colors and that symbolizes that variety of perspectives and research each article contains. Why I love the metaphor of paint is because you can share paint and mix different colors to make other colors; just like when you take your own ideas and someone else’s ideas and make it into even a larger idea.

Keeping with this idea of art, for my own workspace for integrating new ideas and concepts, I find that my workspace is again, that of artists. Messy yet colorful, open yet cluttered. An artists’ workspace is where ideas start to flow and it is where all the inspiration from the outside world starts to float and come together.

Symone, one of my classmates, also has a wonderful metaphor that is similar to mine in that she talks about food. Food and Culinary Arts is art and is a form of creativity. She explains that the different ingredients form the recipe and even though we may not like some of the ingredients (almost like when we do not like the opinions of some of the things we read) it is still vital in the recipe. Sometimes we may not have to add the recipe, again, showing that we can pick and choose what we put into our recipe or our inquiry project. Below, I mentioned that my workspace is that of a messy art studio and hers is a kitchen which also gets messy when cooking.

This really gets me thinking because this metaphor really fits in with my overall research and thought process behind the inquiry project. I really am in search and in hunt to getting all my “ingredients” together which is why I am love Diigo, because it is not only helping me find new pieces but it pushes me to really investigate my topic.

In terms of how I feel when I digest or take in others ideas, it makes me feel inspired and it also makes me feel like I solved what I was trying to find. For example, whenever I write an essay and I find a certain perspective that would fit perfectly in my essay I always say “Yess” and clap my hands. It gives me a motivation to continue to research and to write something great.

But to give you an image of how i really feel when i take on other peoples ideas

afterlight (3)

So in other words, i crave other people’s ideas and will go to the ends of the earth to satisfy my craving.

(doodle by me of course)

Some of the things i learned from the articles i posted on Diigo made me crave for all sorts of things. For one, reading about if Google is making us stupid made me write down a few ideas such as:

The Internet/new technology hinders learning and limits the world around us as we are not as inclined to read anymore (hinders learning and growth)

This idea of time and speed and how we began to expect ourselves to retain information as fast as they pop up when we search for them on the Internet (Speed/time/patience)

Individuals are starting to reprogram ourselves to mirror technology rather having technology mirror us (birth of a new era “technological era”)

With new technology and internet that can give individuals easily accessible information, we find ourselves not being able to read and without reading there cannot be writing or an ability to analyze information or make connections (technology/internet is hindering critical skills in both the personal and professional setting)

Inability to read long passages, having information readily available, deep analyzing and higher level thinking, thoughts being dependent upon quality of pen and paper: Can we truly say that all of these aspects are making humans less intelligent or are we simply redefining intelligence (redefining in terms of tradition and what is acceptable)

What I read about the twitter articles made me think:

Twitter fosters engagement as you constantly see trending topics, expressing your views, and reading others opinions and beliefs. See pictures and videos which really sparks conversation (sparks engagement in terms of creativity and analyzing skills)

In terms of another article i read about Instagram, I found that individuals who suffer depression can actually make it worse by having an Instagram account.

Even though I feel like a dinosaur when I digest other peoples ideas, on a serious note, I still feel like an artist and this is how my workplace of integrating ideas feels like, a messy art studio. Why this image perfectly represents this research process is the fact that all of these art supplies and paints will eventually lead me to completing my inquiry project.

messy

Tags: , , , , , ,

5 Responses to “Concept Experience #3: Diigo inspires creativity”

1. June 28, 2014 at 2:47 am #

I think the metaphor you chose for your workspace as well as for the ideas of others is swell! It’s so creative and it works so well to illustrate the way you can combine the ideas of others with your own to create a whole new spectrum of ideas. I also love your drawing! I wish I could draw as well as you. I think that the idea you came up with about depression and Instagram is really interesting I’d love to find the article in your Diigo that lead you to that question.

2. June 27, 2014 at 3:54 pm #

No you don’t need to revise the Instagram — depression idea. It’s interesting — and makes me curious to hear more though. Will you use this in your research? (I can’t recall your research topic at the moment).
    I’m glad you enjoy Diigo. Some students are not as happy with it. Some things work better for some than others — you just have to try them and see! 🙂

3. June 27, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

Yay, you used my metaphor! But great post, I really enjoyed reading it.

I like how you explained that your paint and tools will at the end help you complete your masterpiece. And how “digesting” new ideas, in return make you inspired, i.e more creative. Its like a complete circle.

4. June 25, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

I see some of your city-pieces in bold in your post. This guy Jamais Cascio wrote a response to Carr’s “Is Google Making Us Stupid” called “Get Smarter.” have you read that? I think someone may have bookmarked it in Diigo.
    Love your sketch. Internet work does feel like DEVOURING sometimes. I’m not so sure that’s a good feeling though.
    Why does Instagram worsen depression?
    Diigo makes me crave to read too — all those interesting articles!! You can bookmark some of them from the group space to “private” library too, to save them to read.
    Also, make sure you use a lot of tags!

• June 25, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Should I go back and include a short excerpt about why Instagram worsens depression? and Yes the Internet truly does feel devouring but i think i was going for more that with research i feel that i am attacking the internet and trying my hardest to find different things to digest! Thanks for your comment 🙂