Camerun Washington

If he could pick any song to be his life’s theme song, Camerun Washington would pick “Dance To This” by Troye Sivan feat. Ariana Grande. Growing up in Summerville, South Carolina, Washington was a high-achiever.

“I was valedictorian. I have two bachelor’s degrees,” Camerun said. “I began learning French at age 12 and became fluent after studying abroad in Quebec. More obviously, I’m fascinated by human genetics.”

That’s why he joined the Genetic Counseling program in VCU’s School of Medicine. Opportunity, Camerun said, is what drew him to VCU.

“VCU is one of 41 genetic counseling training programs in the US. Geography and access to a variety of specialty clinics were important factors in my decision,” Camerun said. “In greater degree, I am sponsored by a partial departmental scholarship that helps diversify the genetic counseling workforce in an impactful way.”

As a SCIE Ambassador, Camerun hopes to improve his leadership skills. He’d like to become more courageous in advocating for ideas with key decision-makers.

“I also want to learn ways to cope with stress to remain clear-minded and collected,” Camerun said.

Advice that Camerun gives new Health Sciences students is to always remember why they started, use their voice, and always keep going. Camerun Washington is part of the 2018 – 2019 SCIE Ambassador Cohort.