SOH Fall ’18

Over the course of the school year, we have gone over many topics such as mindfulness, social emotional learning, depression,...
Blog Post #3 Throughout this course the most major lesson I really learned was how important self care really is. Prioritizing myself had been my biggest challenge in life. Some of the smaller topics that really resonated with me were the mindfulness practices, the disconnecting challenges, and the VIA strengths survey. All of these topics …

Continue reading "BLOG POST 3"

When I enrolled into this class, I did not know what to expect. I’ve learned so much these past couple of months, and some of the important lessons I was taught are the following: Practicing mindfulness is effective only if you know what works for you. Our phone/social media usage greatly impacts our wellbeing and our ability …

Continue reading "Final blog post"

I planned my schedule as everyone did last spring, including this class, which I knew I’ve always needed in my life because of my history of depression and anxiety. I was unaware, however, of the events to come after spring semester last year. Last summer was going swimmingly–pun intended–in comparison to years past. My mental …

Continue reading "Final Blog Post :("

josephsonak The Science of Happiness class has been very interesting and informational. I took in everything we talked about with all seriousness and thought. The class really got me thinking about my life, and what things in my life are helping me live a better one. Some of the major lessons I learned were …

Continue reading "Blog Post 3"

As I reflect on the influence of the course lectures, I find it imperative to acknowledge how interwoven the teachings have been throughout semester. Ultimately, I was able to summarize the most impactful lessons for myself as equilibrium of the body and mind during the week 12 exercise. The consciousness is connected to your physical …

Continue reading "Blog #3"

I still can’t wrap my head at the fact that this is the last week of classes! It is that time of the semester to look back at the last few months and reflect on what I have learned in this class. A major lesson that I have learned about this semester and that is …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

The major lessons that I learned in class this semester are that we are influenced not only by genetics, but also through intentional actions. This can be connected to mental health disorders and substance disorders. These disorders can be partly due to genetics, but the ways people decide to cope with these disorders will be …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

I have learned so much this semester in my Science of Happiness class and I intend to tell you all some of that information in this post. One of the biggest tools I have learned in this course is Mindfulness, which I have actively tried to apply to my everyday life. Learning about mindfulness alone …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

throughout this class we have learned many different lessons form many different people. All of these lessons have one common thread and that is you can make active life choices to increase you happiness and well being no matter your circumstances you can reach that flourishing stage if you are willing to put in the …

Continue reading "Blog post 3"

At the end of this summer on August 15th I was hospitalized for pancreatitis. This illness was caused by alcoholism, an addiction that I suffered with for 3 years without seeking help. That was the last day I had a drink and then I visited Rams in Recovery, where I became a member, and was … Continue reading Blog Post #3
During this semester I have learned a lot of things but everything we learned all seems to comeback to 2 main ideas, the PERMA model and the genetics and happiness model.  From these two topics I have become more aware on my outlook on happiness especially since 40% of your happiness is based on actions …

Continue reading "SOH Blog Post #3"

The major lessons I have learned in this class have related to knowing yourself. Whether it be your genetic predispositions or your stress and anxiety triggers. You are the only person in charge of making yourself happy and there are proven steps to help all individuals reach that goal. This class taught me that it …

Continue reading "SOH Blog Post #3"

This class has taught me many major lessons regarding mental health and positive thinking. One of the biggest concepts that I learned about and I feel helped me improve my mental health was mindfulness. I honestly did not really think that mindfulness is real and there is science behind it until I took this class but afterwards, I …

Continue reading "Blog Post 3"

For the past three years of college, happy moments for me were short and rare. When sad days occurred, the first thing I would do was call my parents. My mom would always say that I was getting in the way of my happiness, but I never really believed her. Because I was coming up …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

The topics discussed during this semester have all built on top of each other. We have learned skills to help in all areas of our lives. Some of these skills include being mindful, having emotional resilience, being able to identify our strengths and weaknesses, and how to have more positive and meaningful relationships. Learning about …

Continue reading "blog post #3"

The biggest lesson I learned from the content this semester, was that I have control over my life and well-being.  Despite genetic influences and external context, we have power over our intentional activity. We have control over who we let into our life, our physical well-being, our technology use, and our own thoughts.  Implementing changes …

Continue reading "End of Semester Reflections"

Blog Post #3 Reaching a state of well-being, a place where you can say outright that you are happy, where you do not have to always fake a smile is something everyone thrives for. You hear so many different ways to get there, specific medications and therapies, meditations and activities, but really what it all …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

I noticed that the common factor in the topics covered in the past 5 weeks is one’s self. For Social Emotional Learning (SEL), one of the skills is self-awareness. I strongly believe that if you do not know what works for you and what doesn’t, then it will impact how you interact with others and how …

Continue reading "Weeks 6-10"

Topics covered in weeks 6-10 relate to each other because social-emotional learning, emotional resilience, mindfulness, and positive relationships all deal with aspects of our lives that are life skills that aren’t necessarily taught in school but are important in having a non stressful life. Dealing with our emotions is very important because they influence everything we do, by how …

Continue reading "Blog post 2"

I am addicted to my phone. No, I’m not implying the advancement of technology is inherently bad. I view technology as an ideal tool to connect to enriching, thought-provoking, and uplifting material. However, I want to discus the darker side of technology I have personally experienced. One of my biggest struggles I faced in …

Continue reading "My Biggest Addiction"

Through out these last weeks we have learned a lot more things about happiness and what we can do to be happier. One of the things we did to implement happiness was putting our phones away during class and then looking back on it and describe how we felt during those 50 minutes. This exercise …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Mindfulness can improve human functioning, cognition, and emotional control.  After reading about mindfulness and incorporating daily practices into my life, I have witnessed the benefits of becoming apart of the present moment.  For me, focusing on one task has always been difficult. Sitting down to study, for example, is hard because my mind easily wanders. …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

It is hard to believe that we are halfway through the semester! Over the last few weeks, we have been introduced to topics such as: positive relationships, personality traits, usage of substances, impulsiveness, disconnection from electronics, and decision making. It is important to mention how all these topics correlate with each other. For instance, these …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

During the first few weeks of class, we discussed different ways to help us be flourishing individuals. In the second few weeks of class, we discussed personality and relationship qualities. Our personality traits help us to make connection and build relationships with others. This also can help us maintain those connections throughout our lifetime. I …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

During weeks 6-10 in this class we learned about; Social Emotional Learning, Mindfulness, Emotional Resilience, Positive Relationships, and Getting to know Yourself. These topics are all related to each other because they all have to do with getting to understand different parts of yourself in order to better the quality of your life and the …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

For the past couple of weeks, we have discussed a wide range of topics related to personality traits and mental health. We have also taken lots of personal assessments to understand ourselves which I feel were very helpful and intriguing. Week 6 we talked about social and emotional learning and essentially we talked about how important …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Since our last blog post, we have talked about social emotional learning, positive relationships through mindfulness, emotional resilience and...
In the past few weeks of class we have discussed social emotional learning, mindfulness, emotional resilience in the digital age, positive relationships, and substance use risk. All of these connect back to each other in a way because they all focus on one main thing, which is our well being. In the week of our …

Continue reading "Blog post #2 – Mariam Tareq"

During the first few weeks of class we learned that happiness is not a hierarchy and that flourishing of self and mental illness are not mutually exclusive. We learned that through genetics, some people are more susceptible to mental disorders than others but through mindful living/practices it is possible to live a high-quality life. For …

Continue reading "Blog post 2"

Tyler Scherer In the recent weeks, we have looked at personal relationships and personality traits. These two go hand in hand in regards to relationships. It is important to know yourself and how you can react to relationship stress and how to keep a happy relationship going. The five-factor model can be a good way …

Continue reading "maintaining good relationships"

While the first five weeks of class served as a sort of introduction to the course and making sure we understood what was going on, the past five weeks have been much more interesting. We have started to really get into the science of being happy. While I noticed very few differences in the weekly …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

In weeks six through ten we talked about social emotional learning, mindfulness, emotional resilience in the digital age, positive relationships, and substance use risk. The topics covered in weeks six through ten focused on how we can achieve happiness or a better life by either making small changes or additions in our daily activities. Some …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Josephsonak The past few weeks of this class have been very interesting, and have really made me reflect on my daily life. We talked about social emotional learning, which has to do self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making. You can learn these skills in schools, classrooms, at home, with your family, …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

In the past five weeks, we have learned about social emotional learning, mindfulness, emotional resilience in the digital age, positive relationships, getting to know yourself.On first glance, there may seem to be no connection between social emotional learning and mindfulness, as one is learning how to properly comunicate with the people around you and the other …

Continue reading "Blog post #2"

In week 6 we all took a survey called the, Social Emotional Learning Scale (SEL), which tests how a person can manage their emotions. The lectures showed studies done on children and how they are raised and what situations affected their ability to control their emotions. We also started to talk about Mindfulness. In week …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

In the first few weeks of class we were given an overview, a sample of the lessons to come. We learned the basic principles of well-being through models such as the PERMA model. Now, we are beginning to dissect the individual aspects of such representations to truly understand each individual part in an attempt to …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Based on what I’ve learned from the material from the first 5 weeks of the Science of Happiness course, there are many factors to consider when it comes to mental health, our behaviors, and our attitudes towards life, others, and ourselves. I always think of Dr. Walsh’s favorite pie chart since a lot of it …

Continue reading "Quick recap of the first 5 weeks"

Keyes Model of Complete Mental Health and Flourishing takes an interesting perspective on mental health. It states that mental health is not dualistic, it is a “continuum of both the absence of mental illness and flourishing.” Flourishing, by definition, is developing successfully; thriving. Keyes looks at it in a similar way. He says flourishing in …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

The first five weeks of the Science of Happiness class have been very informational and interesting. The content we discuss and learn are all things I knew existed, but now I have an understanding of what they are and how they relate. The way people …

Continue reading "Blog Post 1"

Over the last 5 weeks I have learned so much about mental health and how there is so much room to make choices even though you might have a predisposition to a certain mental illness. In the Keyes’ model it shows how even when you have a mental illness you can still flourish by choosing …

Continue reading "SOH 18 Valeria Dolgov"

When I first started UNIV 391 Science of Happiness, I expected exactly what Dr. Walsh outlined the class was not going to be on the first day. I anticipated some form of how to be happy through just telling yourself to do so. To say the least I was very surprised. Then when I learned …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

During this week of being in the Science of Happiness class not only did I learn new topics and ideas, but I was also able to reflect those topics and thoughts to my own life. When we first discussed the concept of Keyes’s Model of Complete Mental Health it sparked the idea that one can […]
In the first lecture by Dr. Walsh, Introduction to SOH, I assessed the key words in the slides, saw that the class was affiliated with COBE and formulated the class as being a psychology class about mental health. During my first semester as a freshman, I took Sociology. Taking a Psychology class was intriguing to …

Continue reading "Here’s to you: Older Siblings,Twins, Students, Friends, The Misunderstood and Seniors of Any Sort"

Over the past five weeks, I have learned a lot about myself through this class. I now understand the difference from what I thought was anxieties and depressions and what it actually is and, knowing that, I can apply it to my lifestyle. The first couple of classes dealt with understanding nature and nurture and …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

The class for me so far has gotten off to a slow start in terms of peaking my interest regarding any one topic.  I guess the most convincing information I have observed in class surrounds the PERMA model and Keyes model.  Fredrickson’s “Broaden and Build Theory” seemed to make the most sense to me because …

Continue reading "Blog Post 1"

It is easy for depression, anxiety, and mood states to take over during difficult, stressful times. But, why? Learning about positive psychology and mental health models can change one’s perspective on their own mental state and well-being.  Difficult times are inevitable, but the ways in which you react to them can yield different outcomes. Mental …

Continue reading "The Power of Positive Psychology"

In the simplest terms I can think of (I am not a psychologist or a good writer), Keyes’ model of complete mental health/flourishing is the result of all the other things we have talked about in these first 5 weeks coming together. Personally, I don’t think that they differ at all, they all fit together in …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

Pretty much all of the topics in this class are related as we saw in earlier lectures genetics plays a larger role in your predispositon to having a mental illness. but your environment  does as well. this can lead to some people being better able to handle some situations than others. this can lead to …

Continue reading ""

In the last five weeks of this course, I really started to think more about how much mental health impacted everyones day to day life and especially mine. It shined a light on how important it is to recognize the things that are getting in your way of happiness. In the first week we were …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1 – Mariam Tareq"

Initiating the class with the topic of genetics was a great way to set up the foundation and reasons behind the existence of the class. The graphic that expressed how genetics (50% of what makes us who we are), context (10%), and intentional activity (40%) worked together to make us who we are helped …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

During the first five weeks of class, I have learned a great deal about different aspects of mental health. In the first couple of classes we covered how nature vs. nurture plays into depression. It is important to understand that yes, there is a genetic factor when it comes to being depressed, because it causes an imbalance of certain chemicals in your brain. …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

The ideas of flourishing and languishing were new to me. Initially I thought flourishing was just growth and beauty, but never once did I think of how it could relate to me. This idea was supported by the week one reading, “Promoting and Protecting Mental Health as Flourishing.” In the Keyes reading, I learned that …

Continue reading "Blog Post 1"

Over the past five weeks, we’ve been introduced to various concepts ranging from models, theories, terms, topics, and weekly readings. We were first introduced to the concept of Nature vs. Nurture. In this concept, essentially nature such as our genetics have already predisposed our way of being and our behavior, while nurture such as our …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

This first month of class and readings has been focused on what it means to be mentally healthy and how we can measure and increase mental health and happiness. In the readings mental health is looked at under a variety of lenses. Authors Dick, Adkins, and Kou looked at how genetics affects adolescent behavior. Adolescent …

Continue reading "Happiness vs Materialism"

VS.      During one our classes, we learned about the infamous nature vs. nurture argument. I have heard about this argument since I was in high school, but I learned more about how behavior can be influenced by both genetic and environmental factors in this class. For example, I thought that genetic and environmental …

Continue reading ""

Welcome to Rampages.us. This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.
“If you want to be happy, be.”. This quote, by Leo Tolstoy, really stuck with me when I saw it typed on the screen, hence why I named my blog after it. Not only do these words embody how I wish my mind worked but it also truly represents a key factor to well-being we …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

Testing a post to SOH 17
  All Eyes on the NRA      As the National Rifle Association (NRA) has grown to become the largest political force as America’s defender of the Second Amendment, its extravagance in trying to change gun control policies have also implemented fear among American citizens. With the increasing vote for gun control, numerous questions have …

Continue reading "All Eyes on the NRA"

I basically changed my entire diagram. When discussing my paper in the conference, I realized that my conclusion was wrong. At first, my conclusion was that children in poverty are unfairly affected by standardized testing. I realized that my points leading to it didn’t exactly correspond. So, I sought out an ethical conclusion, which involved finding …

Continue reading "Rethinking standardized testing"

The three readings I did were Wrong Answer, Why Women Aren’t Welcome On The Internet, and Big Data On Campus.   Wrong Answer was the most interesting read, to me. I want to work in Social Work, and learning about the impoverished areas of Georgia fascinated me: Savannah Georgia is where I got my name, …

Continue reading "Looking Ahead To Unit Two"