SOH Spring ’18

This Week in SOH

I can’t believe that we have reached the end of this semester. So much has happened in my life in just this year, let alone…
The most important lesson that I will take away from this class is that you are your own best advocate. I am not someone who has severely suffered from mental health or substance abuse, but I have definitely had my ups and downs with both. This class has helped me to put my experience into … Continue reading Final SOH Blog Post (#3)
When discussing emotional resilience in a digital age in week 7, I reflected on the time that I deleted my previous Instagram account. The concept…
SOH Blog Post #3 Campbell Weis I couldn’t more grateful for the experiences and life lessons this class  has taught me. Lessons such as self-care and self-love, but also about becoming more aware of my surroundings, and my own mentality. I really enjoyed the person touch this class showed me, learning about topics that are … Continue reading SOH: Blog Post #3
I have learned many different lessons throughout the duration of this course. The major lessons I learned from the content this semester is the importance of practicing mindfulness, the significant impact positive psychology has on one’s behavior and mental/emotional well-being, the importance of focusing on one’s strengths instead of dwelling on weaknesses,  and even the Continue reading
Some major lessons that I learned from the content this semester is how important self-care is, how it is really okay to not know exactly what you want to do once you graduate, that healthy eating and exercising is important to mental and physiological health overall, and that having people around you who love and …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

Over the course of this past semester, I have learned so many every day life skills in this class as well as others. But a couple of lessons from SOH really stood out to me: mindfulness and the digital age. The mindfulness aspect of the class was meaningful to my life because my psychiatrist has …

Continue reading "It is a Way of Life"

In the first few weeks of this course, I learned a lot about how my thoughts affect my behavior and mental capacity. Keyes’ model of…
Discovering my character strengths helped me to get a better insight to who I am. My top strength was creativity. At first, I was not sure I agreed with that. I am not creative – I do not draw well, I am not a painter, a poet, or a musician. I possess no creative talents. …

Continue reading "Final post"

It’s Time! Image source: https://favim.com/image/634502/ There is no time like the present to change your life for the better! I have learned many things during my time in this Science of Happiness class. One of the major lessons was that not everything that happens to you is determined by your genetics but not everything is entirely …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

I loved your blog post pictures and I love how you talk about screen time use also been taking the advice from about how sometimes you just to put your phone and spend more time with family In reply to - savannahrae wrote a new post, Ful...
This semester I have had the fortunate opportunity of learning a great deal in many areas of study.  Each of my courses have had constant themes of growth and inquiry, and I view the knowledge that I have gained in each area as success (regardless of the grade).  I feel that I have grown more […]
I think the major lesson I learned through this class is that one’s happiness is not determined by just one or even just a few factors. Happiness is attained based on every single angle of your life. Factors such as genetics (which I was not aware of before this class), for example if mental health … Continue reading Blog Post #3
Great job on your blog post In reply to - babenatural93 wrote a new post, Blog Post #3- SOH, on the site Babe Natural As this class comes to an end, I can honestly say that I have seen growth with myself. My first day in the Science to H...
The image above is a prime example of how far my knowledge goes on wellbeing and how to maintain it. The meme is basically saying “Look I know how to find the obvious things, but I don’t know much about the rest.” Wellbeing was that for me. Wellbeing was not something I thought about. All …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3: Final Thoughts"

As this class comes to an end, I can honestly say that I have seen growth with myself. My first day in the Science to Happiness course, I walked in with little “expectations”. The expectation I did have, I was hoping to learn the fundamentals behind happiness. Fortunately, I received more than just fundamentals behind …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3- SOH"

The over-arching theme of this semester seems to be that happiness stems from an interwoven connection between social, emotional, physical, and mental wellness. It was…
Intrinsic motivation is really important for your academic wellbeing. Now that I know the meaning of intrinsic motivation, I know more about the person I am. I don’t expect any rewards for the work that I do, b […]
I really enjoyed how you use tupac with also the lesson that was teach and great job on the blog post ! In reply to - alexiacollins wrote a new post, Live Your Best Life All 2018, on the site Alexia   I think since I’ve learned...
I learned that sometimes when people get addicted to drugs, it is also called substance use and addiction. I also learned that there are other forms of addictions including phone usage as well. People normally get […]
I like the way how u talked about mental health u did a awesome blog !! In reply to - alexiacollins wrote a new post, Don’t think about it too much, on the site Alexia I feel the lectures from the various professors throughout ...
So far, I’ve come to the conclusion that this course structured to educating about improving one’s overall mental and emotional health. The first few weeks of this course catered to educating about depression and anxiety, mindfulness, genetic and happiness , and focusing on strengths. The last few weeks of this course catered to emotional resilience Continue reading
  Emotional resilience in the digital age, social emotional learning, and getting to know yourself all sort of goes hand-in-hand. All of these topics fall under the category of personal development and traits. Our ties to technology that come along with heightened anxiety, depression, and hampered sleep closely relates to our personal qualities and personalities. …

Continue reading "Weeks 7-10 in a Nutshell"

It is with great happiness that I am able to attest that, since the first blog post several weeks ago, the trend of gaining valuable insights to happiness continues (and with great success) into the final weeks of the course.  In these last few weeks since first checking in with the first blog post, the […]
  I think since I’ve learned about emotional resilience in the age of technology, SURPS and social and emotional learning it has changed my outlook on life. All the topics were intertwined and connected in various ways. Emotional resilence and the SURPS score we discussed in class were connected because our emotional resilience to technology … Continue reading Live Your Best Life All 2018
Topics covered in weeks 7-10 are similar because the concepts discussed are ones that enable people to live better lives. Week 10, “Social Emotional Learning” we discussed learning that typically occurs early in life whereas “Getting to Know Yourself” was about understanding yourself later in life when habits have been established. The topics tended to be … Continue reading SOH Blog Post 2 ~ Weeks 7-10
The topics of emotional resilience, getting to know yourself through your personality traits, and social and emotional learning are connected in a way. Once you are able to get to know yourself, you can build your emotional resilience by using the skills learned from social and emotional learning. Thinking back to when we took the …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Emotional resilience, getting to know myself, and social emotional learning feed into one another. I think that we get to know ourselves by how we interact with others and how they interact with us. In learning to be aware of how others feel, we learn how to be aware of what we feel. Emotions can …

Continue reading "Post # 2"

image source: https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/addiction Addiction is a complex concept. It is not just related to drugs and alcohol, but to games and social media as well. Excessive smartphone use has been linked to sleep quality, depression and anxiety according to Dr. Schroder. For that week’s exercise we had to put our phones away while in class and …

Continue reading "Blog post #2"

I like the way how you was speaking about what the speaker talk about In reply to - babenatural93 wrote a new post, SoH Blog #1- SPR 18, on the site Babe Natural I signed up for SoH course this semester so I can develop a better understan...
I signed up for Science of Happiness expecting to learn the true meaning behind happiness. Fortunately, I was able and still is able to learn much more. So far, we have learned things from personality traits to understanding your own personal strengthens. From week 7 to 10, we have learned about emotional resilience, “getting to …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2-SOH"

With weeks 7-10  underway, I feel like I have a better understanding on the realm surrounding positive psychology. I believe the information that we’ve gathered in the past couple of weeks has really taught me about myself, and showed me my strengths and weaknesses, and how to apply these skills in a professional working environment. … Continue reading Campbell Weis: SOH Blog Post #2
I have found that emotional resilience, knowing yourself, substance abuse traits, and social emotional learning are all deeply rooted in one another. Social emotional learning is important in knowing yourself. Knowing yourself and is crucial in knowing substance abuse traits. And emotional resilience is important in overcoming  substance abuse. I would say an overarching theme … Continue reading Blog Post #2
Thank you In reply to - ashauntae2019 wrote a new post, A’Shauntae Blog Post 1, on the site Blog post Determination of the character traits from the VIA Classification Survey including that the strength be morally valued in its own [&hel...
Class In reply to - kieselca wrote a new post, Catherine Kiesel’s Blog Post #1 SOH Spring 18, on the site blog In our first few weeks of classes, we have learned a lot. With the Keyes’ Model of Mental Health, we learned that mental ...
You really are right I like the way how you was speaking about what the speaker talk about in clasd In reply to - kieselca wrote a new post, Catherine Kiesel’s Blog Post #1 SOH Spring 18, on the site blog In our first few weeks of classe...
Happiness is a loaded word. I have learned in the first couple weeks in SOH that so often teens are depressed, 1 out of 4! That is an incredible number! It would not be as common if we, as a nation, put more stake into “Positive Psychology”. I had never heard of the concept until …

Continue reading "Blog #1"

Welcome to Rampages.us. This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.
So far, we’ve discussed many topics: Keyes’ Model (the continuum model of the relationship between mental illness and mental health), genetic influences on behavior (like which behavioral traits are hereditary), depression and anxiety and mood states (for example, we discussed the high co-morbidity between depression and anxiety), positive psychology (including the PERMA theory), and our …

Continue reading "Spreading Yourself Too Thin"

I feel the lectures from the various professors throughout this course so far have had an invaluable impact on me. From the first week where we assessed our own mental health and my results came back  much lower than expected so when I was reading the Keye’s lecture I evaluated how my results compared with … Continue reading Don’t think about it too much
The topics of the first four weeks relate to each other in their common purpose to achieve course learning objectives. Readings and lecture material complimented one another in order to instill  fundamental working knowledge of the factors related to behavioral and emotional heath and how they contribute to overall wellbeing and mental health. I found … Continue reading Blog #1
I signed up for SoH course this semester so I can develop a better understanding of how and why happiness in humans and animals works. So far, the course is really interesting. One of my favorite topics we have discussed so far was on anxiety and panic attacks.  I was first introduced to anxiety and …

Continue reading "SoH Blog #1- SPR 18"

Just from the first couple weeks of classes I already feel as if I’m getting more out of this class than I expected. Every lecture I learn something new about positive psychology, and I’m able to apply it to various situations throughout my daily life. The topics that we’ve learned so far in class relate to … Continue reading SOH ’18: First Post
The first four weeks of this course has been quite rewarding. After reading about the science of happiness course, I was very excited to learn about what it mean to have good mental health, as well as how to obtain and maintain it.  In such a short span of time I have already become aware […]
Thank you and I’m trying to learn how to reply back to your post In reply to - ashauntae2019 wrote a new post, A’Shauntae Blog Post 1, on the site Blog post Determination of the character traits from the VIA Classification Survey i...
Haven’t a little trouble comment on your post but I will figure it out but I thank you for your opinion In reply to - ashauntae2019 wrote a new post, A’Shauntae Blog Post 1, on the site Blog post Determination of the character tr...
My first few weeks of “UNIV 391: The Science of Happiness” have exceeded my expectations for the course.   This is not to say that I had low expectations for the course; on the contrary, I entered this course with a great deal of optimism and curiosity.  What could a course on “The Science of Happiness” really be […]
In the first six weeks of class we learned a lot of helpful things that can help us with trying to live our best lives. When I took the Keyes’ Flourishing Scale test, I found out that I was flourishing which was an eye opener for me because to be honest I felt like I …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

The last few weeks of this course were spent mostly focused on our final projects, which were supposed to challenge us and force us to reflect back on all the topics we’ve covered in this class. I’ll admit, when this project was first introduced I was not too fond of it; a  group project where …

Continue reading "wrap up"

Throughout the entire semester in this class we have learned the Science of Happiness , and all of it’s benefits and how happiness is the best medicine for many if not most of the problems we face. From defining the science of happiness to academic well being we have learned how to be happy and …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

This semester of science of happiness has definitely shown me a lot and taught me more about myself. The topics we covered this semester were: Genetics and Happiness, Positive Psychology, Strengths, depression and mood states, Romantic Relationships, mindfulness, Getting to know yourself, positive emotions and positive interventions, Social and Emotional Learning, Academic and Career Wellbeing, […]
This semester was my first as a college student, its been a very rough time and I’ve had a lot of learning to do and I’ve had a lot to adjust to as well. I’ve never lived away from my parents, and I’ve never had to share a room until now. Taking the Science of …

Continue reading "Final Blog Post"

This whole semester of Science of Happiness has taught me a lot of how to take care of myself mentally and one of the first lessons I learned was that the absence of mental illness does not mean you have good mental health. The way you treat you mind should be respected in the same …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

Exploring the Netherwood Quarry Date visited: November 16th, 2017 Time: 7:30-8:00PM It is a cloudless night at the Netherwood Quarry and I am situated on a smooth rock facing the James river. It is 41 degrees Fahrenheit. My observations are feeding off the light from the highway and faintest moonlight. All around me there is …

Continue reading "Exploring the Netherwood Quarry"

Science of Happiness was a class that was defiantly unexpected. I did not realize the amount of knowledge I would learn would somehow benefit to my mind in ways to help me deal with relationships, family, stress and much more. Each lecture taught in class all somehow connected to mindfulness, which is being aware of … Continue reading Final Blog Post
  Science of Happiness has proven to be a truly important class. It’s benefits have come at a really crucial time for myself and many of my classmates: the first semester of freshman year. While the lessons are all applicable to any person at any stage of life, they have been particularly helpful and relatable …

Continue reading "Blog Post 3"

This image has summed up my thoughts about the whole year because of the vibrant colors and peaceful meaning. The flowers have flourished which creates a beautiful scenery for the whole photo. This is a symbol to people flourishing in life, when we all maintain our well being it creates a positive and peaceful atmosphere […]
  As this class comes to an end, its bittersweet. I am sad the class is ending, but happy with all the lessons I can take with me. Through this class I have learned to stop to enjoy the moment and how to lesson my stress with work and school.  We covered a lot in […]
The most important thing I have learned after sixteen weeks in this course is that I am able to live a successful life as long as I make to the effort to do so. Many of the topics we covered in class centered around cultivating our own happiness in order to achieve a healthy, happy, …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

Over the past weeks of this incredibly unique class, I have learned valuable, relatable life lessons such as to be aware of my self, and how to actually care for my mentality. These topics are special because they obviously relate to my real life, which was different from my other courses in which I’m learning […]
The major lesson I’ve learned from this semester’s content would be to simply stay positive and have a happy life. The whole meaning of this class is for a person to learn how to cope with life being in a happy state, and without learning the content I have this semester I wouldn’t have had …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3: Ram Happy"

Blog Post 3   Week 2 The Science of happiness   When I was reading the article on promoting and protecting mental health as flourishing from the reading, I learned how to understand that mental health is about flourishing and being happy for yourself.  And mental disorder’s is about understanding the health care related problems …

Continue reading "What Is Science of Happiness"

This class has helped  me understand where my stress is coming from and it also helped me find ways to deal with the stress. When the class first started we were taught how to calm down our minds it didn’t register to me at that point how much I would need this when the stress …

Continue reading "Blog post #3"

Throughout the semester being in SOH, I realized how important maintaining one’s own mental health is and the different ways to do it. The biggest thing I learned was mindfulness and all the benefits that come from it. In the week 8 reading, Contemplating Mindfulness at Work: An Integrative Review, it talked about how mindfulness …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

Based on all of the content taught in class and all of the content in the weekly readings, I’ve learned the importance of maintaining overall happiness and well- being and I’ve learned the complexity of happiness and well- being. First by reading about the study published by Keyes, I was introduced to this idea that …

Continue reading "Blog Post 3"

Throughout this semester Science of Happiness has opened up my eyes up to how important it is to focus on the positive in life. An example was learning about our strengths through the VIA survey. Finding out that my top strength was perspective allows me now to focus on that and try to use it …

Continue reading "Blog #3"

Although I was happy before The Science of Happiness, this class has taught me how to live a balanced life. What I mean by this is that the mind and body work as one and psychological health is fundamentally linked to your physical health. There is no health without mental health, and I think many …

Continue reading "Reflection"

One of the biggest lessons I have learned from this class is how your mental health is just as important (if not more important) as your physical health. It seems as people are finally starting to see the impacts mental well-being can have on your life. A major tool to achieve mental well-being is mindfulness, …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3!"

This semester has been way more than I expected in this Science of Happiness class. I understood that Ms. Walsh did not want this class to stress us out and for the first time a class has not stressed me out. The first major lesson I learned is that when we learn something new especially […]
In the past four weeks, we have covered a variety of information about different ways that we can implement ways to make ourselves happy in life. The most important things in our lives: intimate relationships, work, and overall health and well- being all have to do with the science of happiness. These topics are related …

Continue reading "Blog Post 2: Weeks 7-10"

For weeks seven through ten we in the science of happiness class embarked on a huge journey through learning wonderful topics that all flow and correlate with each other. We first began with talking about depression and mood states , and how each different situations we face in life can and will foster mood changes. …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

These past five weeks have taught me many things in regards to maintaining my wellbeing. In week 7 I learned the patterns of relationships thoughts, feelings and actions is common in connecting early experiences with caregivers to later experiences with peers and eventually romantic partners in adulthood. Week 8 focused on meditation, which influences our […]
In weeks seven through ten of Science of Happiness we primarily addressed mindfulness, romantic relationships, personality traits/predispositions, and positive psychology interventions. Part of our mindfulness training included three daily surveys administered not only for data collection, but to increase our own individual connection with our emotions and our state of wellbeing throughout the day. This …

Continue reading "Blog 2"

Since the last post, In class we have spent time learning about and discussing romantic relationships, more personality traits and substances that certain people could be prone  to and Social and Emotional learning programs and how they work, as well as going deeper into the concept of positive psychology. The romantic relationships unit did not …

Continue reading "Blog Post 2"

The past couple of weeks the class has been talking about Social and Emotional Learning, mindfulness, and how we can help others in their time of social stress. I feel these topics I was able to connect to more on a personal level than some of the others. It has been an emotional year for me […]
Weeks 7-10 showed many similarities when it comes to getting to know yourself and how to apply that to relationships. It was helpful information because  you need to know how to grow as you step into a new phase in your life. The last four weeks we learned about know ourselves and how certain personality …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Acting has been a part of human life for a very long time, and why wouldn’t it be? Doesn’t the vast majority of children spend most of their first years on this world pretending to be a character in some story they’ve created in their head? A quick look on Google and you can find …

Continue reading "Acting Through The Ages"

YAY! It’s blog time again! In these last few weeks we have covered quite a bit! We started this portion by talking about relationships both healthy and terrible. Within that we talked about the ways that both types of relationships can affect us as people. The second thing we covered was what types of drugs …

Continue reading "Blog Post 2"

In weeks 7-10 we learned about romantic relatonships, mindfulness, getting to know yourself, and postive emotions & positive interventions. Some of these topics have alot in common with topics we’ve covered in the past. Mindfulness and getting to know yourself both blend together. Both of these topics talk about knowing more about yourself and learning …

Continue reading "Blog post #2"

Over the past few weeks we have hit on topics regarding on how to deal with depression, anxiety disorders, romantic relationships, social and emotional learning, and impulsivity. We discussed different ways to approach  how each topic can be applied into our life by preparing for it or by applying it to our present situations. Each … Continue reading Blog Post #2
In the past few weeks we have covered many topics from personality to romantic relationships, and substance abuse. Looking at the foundation of these topics we see that they are all placed within the same field of positive psychology. We discussed the difference between a healthy and bad relationship. As we moved forward from the […]
We started off week 7 talking about romantic relationships, discussing the impacts of a good relationship and a bad relationship, and how that might affect someone’s life. Then we moved onto personality traits, where we talked about how certain personalities might be more predisposed to substance abuse than other personalities. Next came positive psychology interventions, …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

These past few weeks in class have covered topics from romantic relationships to personality and substance abuse. In my opinion, these topics have been all over the place in the field of positive psychology, as they don’t  have a lot in common other than that they all deal with the field, but they are all […]
When I reflect on these past few weeks I realize that every topic was strategically chosen because they build on each other. We started these weeks with the mindfullness study check-ins. Three times a day we completed these short surveys about our current mental state. While it did become tiring to do these three times …

Continue reading "weeks 7-10"