SOH Fall ’17

This Week in SOH

In the past four weeks, we have covered a variety of information about different ways that we can implement ways to make ourselves happy in life. The most important things in our lives: intimate relationships, work, and overall health and well- being all have to do with the science of happiness. These topics are related …

Continue reading "Blog Post 2: Weeks 7-10"

For weeks seven through ten we in the science of happiness class embarked on a huge journey through learning wonderful topics that all flow and correlate with each other. We first began with talking about depression and mood states , and how each different situations we face in life can and will foster mood changes. …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

These past five weeks have taught me many things in regards to maintaining my wellbeing. In week 7 I learned the patterns of relationships thoughts, feelings and actions is common in connecting early experiences with caregivers to later experiences with peers and eventually romantic partners in adulthood. Week 8 focused on meditation, which influences our […]
In weeks seven through ten of Science of Happiness we primarily addressed mindfulness, romantic relationships, personality traits/predispositions, and positive psychology interventions. Part of our mindfulness training included three daily surveys administered not only for data collection, but to increase our own individual connection with our emotions and our state of wellbeing throughout the day. This …

Continue reading "Blog 2"

Since the last post, In class we have spent time learning about and discussing romantic relationships, more personality traits and substances that certain people could be prone  to and Social and Emotional learning programs and how they work, as well as going deeper into the concept of positive psychology. The romantic relationships unit did not …

Continue reading "Blog Post 2"

The past couple of weeks the class has been talking about Social and Emotional Learning, mindfulness, and how we can help others in their time of social stress. I feel these topics I was able to connect to more on a personal level than some of the others. It has been an emotional year for me […]
Weeks 7-10 showed many similarities when it comes to getting to know yourself and how to apply that to relationships. It was helpful information because  you need to know how to grow as you step into a new phase in your life. The last four weeks we learned about know ourselves and how certain personality …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Acting has been a part of human life for a very long time, and why wouldn’t it be? Doesn’t the vast majority of children spend most of their first years on this world pretending to be a character in some story they’ve created in their head? A quick look on Google and you can find …

Continue reading "Acting Through The Ages"

YAY! It’s blog time again! In these last few weeks we have covered quite a bit! We started this portion by talking about relationships both healthy and terrible. Within that we talked about the ways that both types of relationships can affect us as people. The second thing we covered was what types of drugs …

Continue reading "Blog Post 2"

In weeks 7-10 we learned about romantic relatonships, mindfulness, getting to know yourself, and postive emotions & positive interventions. Some of these topics have alot in common with topics we’ve covered in the past. Mindfulness and getting to know yourself both blend together. Both of these topics talk about knowing more about yourself and learning …

Continue reading "Blog post #2"

Over the past few weeks we have hit on topics regarding on how to deal with depression, anxiety disorders, romantic relationships, social and emotional learning, and impulsivity. We discussed different ways to approach  how each topic can be applied into our life by preparing for it or by applying it to our present situations. Each … Continue reading Blog Post #2
In the past few weeks we have covered many topics from personality to romantic relationships, and substance abuse. Looking at the foundation of these topics we see that they are all placed within the same field of positive psychology. We discussed the difference between a healthy and bad relationship. As we moved forward from the […]
We started off week 7 talking about romantic relationships, discussing the impacts of a good relationship and a bad relationship, and how that might affect someone’s life. Then we moved onto personality traits, where we talked about how certain personalities might be more predisposed to substance abuse than other personalities. Next came positive psychology interventions, …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

These past few weeks in class have covered topics from romantic relationships to personality and substance abuse. In my opinion, these topics have been all over the place in the field of positive psychology, as they don’t  have a lot in common other than that they all deal with the field, but they are all […]
When I reflect on these past few weeks I realize that every topic was strategically chosen because they build on each other. We started these weeks with the mindfullness study check-ins. Three times a day we completed these short surveys about our current mental state. While it did become tiring to do these three times …

Continue reading "weeks 7-10"

In the first 6 weeks, we talked about what the science of happiness is, where it came from, how it had many definitions, and what goes in to each person’s definition. There is the science of happiness, positive psychology and many views inside each label (whatever you label it) that make them all shoot towards …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Looking back onto the first six weeks of class, we learned mostly about the basics of positive psychology, our strengths, and some mental disorders. In the weeks after those initial classes I noticed that a lot of what we learned in the beginning is being incorporated into the new topics in more complex ways. In …

Continue reading "SOH Blog #2"

For the 7th week of the Science of Happiness course, we discussed the competence in romantic relationships. This week’s reading provided background knowledge of how the relationships we have and encounter early in our lives affect our romantic relationships in adulthood. Jessica Salvatore presented her research explaining the two main perspectives in regards to …

Continue reading "Amanda’s Second Blog Post"

There are a lot of topics that can relate to each other when it comes to science of happiness. Two topics that I felt closely related to each other in an immense way is depression and anxiety. Anxiety and depression both relate to each other because they come from the same place which is biological …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Two topics that I find relate greatly to each other are the Mindfulness and Positive Emotions topics. Being mindful to me is all about trying to have control over your life and decisions. Mindfulness is being able to have power over your emotions, behavior, and well-being. This is why I compare mindfulness and positive emotions …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2: Ram Happy"

Week 10 Positive Emotions relate to Week 9 Getting to Know Yourself Because When we are trying to understand who we are inside of ourselves we are experiencing our Emotions about ourselves. As a human being we are developing our brains to practice the Positive and Negative sides of our Emotions so we can get …

Continue reading "How Science Relates To Happiness"

Blog Post 2 Both of Dr. Vassileva’s lectures directly relate to each other in the sense that different personality traits can lead to more risky behavior and make you more susceptible to drug addiction. In the first lecture, she described the different results of our SURPS tests and how each category (anxiety sensitivity, negative thinking, …

Continue reading "Personality and Addiction"

In weeks 7-10 of The Science of Happiness I’ve learned that by building our awareness of the present moment (mindfulness) we are able to engage in a situation without impulsive action, offering ourselves the capability to recognize and accept our thoughts, feelings, and neurological consciousness to better appreciate and recognize ourselves. Through this, I think …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Image Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/facts-balance-joseph-keller ( Jospeh Keller) The two topics during the weeks 7-10 that related to each other were anxiety and depression. These two topics linked together because they stem from the same biological vulnerability. In the slides that were shown we were informed that depression could make anxiety worse. I also saw some connections […]
The first few weeks of class were very informational for me when it comes to the topics that we discussed. I like how each week is a different topic that is still related to the previous topic and I like how we get a different professor for each topic as they are specialists in these …

Continue reading "Blog Post 1"

The first six weeks of positive psychology has taught me a lot how psychology can be used in order to maintain mental health and not just treat mental disease. Positive Psychology puts back the mission of helping people maintain a healthy and happy life through mindfulness and mediation. Many models and topics have been discussed …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

I have learned a lot within the past 6 weeks during the Science of Happiness class. Along with physical ways to relieve stress,balance mental and physical struggles and signs of depression, I have also learned my strengths and weakness. I didn’t realize what my strongest strength was which is Love, and the […]
The past six weeks engaging in the ‘Science of Happiness’ have taught me that happiness is a state of well- being that encompasses living the good life. The science of happiness includes living a life with meaning and rooted satisfaction. We learned that happiness derives from genetic influences and adolescent behavior, which is really uplifting …

Continue reading "Science of Happiness Post 1"

Science is  the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. Happiness is the state of being happy. This title explicitly states what I learned whilst taking this course. Throughout these six weeks I’ve learned about flourishing, influences on behavior, positive psychology, depression, anxiety, different mood […]
  These first few weeks in science of happiness I learned a lot of new things. I learned about anxiety disorders, positive psychology, my strengths and I learned about about what influence my genetics have on me. The positive psychology lesson and the lesson about my strengths went hand-and-hand. Positive psychology was talking about how …

Continue reading "First weeks of Science of Happiness"

Hope and Happiness Last class when Dr. Aziz talked about the different types of anxiety and symptoms of depression, it immediately made me connect the dots of Dr.Dick’s lecture about genetic influences. As Dr.Dick said, genetic influences account for 50% of our behavior and 40% is affected by our environment. It was interesting to think …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

We have learned so much these past few weeks in Science of Happiness. We have learned about Keyes Flourishing model, genetic influences on behavior, depression and anxiety, and cultivating our character strengths. Furthermore, all of these topics we covered in class were very interesting and new to me. More importantly, all of the topics seemed …

Continue reading "Blog Post 1"

I am going to start this post off with a favorite quote of mine by Samuel Smiles. Read it and think, but not too hard or you will miss the point.   Now to start you off down the whirl winds of my life these past few years and still to this day. . .      […]
The first few weeks of SOH we learned about Keyes Model of complete mental health/flourishing and how we can fall into the flourishing or languishing categories. We also learned about the debate between nature v. nurture and how genetics can influence our behavior and make up 50% of our happiness according to twin studies. We …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

I  believe that pretty much all of the topics that we have learned about in the first six weeks have all intertwined perfectly. For example, learning about how genetics influence things like behavior relates to our strengths from the VIA strengths survey, which are partly affected by genes. It also relates to depression, anxiety, and …

Continue reading "Blog 1"

The topics covered so far in class all make an attempt to understand behavior and well- being. The most surprising topic thus far was the connection between genetics and behavior. Genetics is an uncontrollable influence to the way we behave and I find it interesting that behavior and thoughts can be somewhat uncontrollable to a …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

“You can have a mental illness and still be flourishing”. As soon as I heard that sentence I realized I knew a lot less about happiness than I thought. From the very first week of this course my idea of what happiness and mental health truly are was challenged, starting with the Keyes Flourishing Scale. …

Continue reading "blog post 1"

These weeks of class have really made me understand  what “Science of Happiness” is truly about. The Mental Health Model and whether you’re flourishing I believe relates greatly to the Depression and Mood State aspects because they connect by having the same reasoning. You can’t be flourishing if you’re depressed, it just doesn’t make sense. …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1: Ram Happy"

The first four weeks of this course have all taught something inherently different, all interesting and relatable. I feel the most apparent thread I can connect through these introductory weeks would be the second, which was the genetics of psychology and what makes us, us. This can firstly be connected (and debated) to week one. […]
Relation of topics in class.                                                                                                    In Keyes’ Model of Complete Mental Health, Keyes measured and saw that mental health is not dualistic and a continuum. It’s dualistic in the way that just because a mental illness may be present in someone, it does not mean their mental health will be healthy. You could be either … Continue reading Blog Post 1
For the past few weeks in science of happiness we talked about Flourishing and discussing our Keyes model it was very surprising to me because i like to take surveys about myself on how to  find happiness in my own life. When i was reading the article on Genetic Influences it was really new  to me …

Continue reading "SOH-Fall17 Blog Post 1"

In the first 6 weeks of class in SOH, we covered various topics that were very new to me. WE talked about positive psychology and how genetics plays a role in our behavior. We also touched on Keyes model and our mood states. The two topics that I thought related to each other were Keyes […]
Here is another user post with an image – Trying to put an image here. And come long content.   The box-sizing property can make building CSS layouts easier and a lot more intuitive. It’s such a boon for developers that here at CSS-Tricks we observe International Box-Sizing Awareness Day in February. But, how is it so helpful and …

Continue reading "Needs a title"

Content – did this work  
Welcome to Rampages.us. This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.