SOH Fall ’18

Looking back at this semester, I am positive that my experience with this class was a positive one. We covered a broad arrangement of topics…
In this class I have learned a lot about a lot of different topics and furthered my knowledge of things I already had an idea about. The first one that stuck out to me that I did not really know anything about was just how big of an impact anxiety can have on a person. … Continue reading Blog Post #3
  Some lessons that had a big impact on me over the course of the semester were an anxiety disorder, positive psychology, and nutrition and wellbeing. Anxiety disorders helped me because I suffer from a lot of anxiety and being able to have better-coping skills and implementing those skills have helped me tremendously. I now …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

The biggest thread I have been able to create in this class and through all the different lessons it has taught me is that there is no shame and there shouldn’t be any stigma around the various troubles we as humans are all bound to face at some point-whether it be depression, anxiety, addiction, or …

Continue reading "Final Blog Post"

Over the past few weeks, I’ve learned a lot about how to better use my time on this Earth.  I’ve learned about the importance that nutrition adds to a happy life. through the Eat, Sleep, Move exercise in which I tracked my food intake for a week.  After finishing tracking my food for a week, …

Continue reading "BLOG POST 3 MCNELIS"

During my time with this course, I have endured one of the more aggressive depressive states I have ever experienced in my life. As a result of some rather strong medication I often experience mood swings and depression around my menstrual cycle but this particular emotionally downfall is mostly due to stress at school and […]
Over the past couple months, this class has helped me develop some great life  skills that are going to help me down the road. I feel that this class has been a little bit different in the sense that it has been more relaxed and flexible when I am in class. What I mean by …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

This past semester I was able to learn a lot about my physical, mental and emotional health. When I first enrolled into this class I honestly didn’t know what to except. Every week a new topic was introduced and a new speaker would come and educate us on a topic. Along with this we had …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

The lessons I learned in this class is something I’m going to remember for a lifetime. I found myself getting really down last semester. My grades were slipping. Basketball wasn’t working out. I was going through it. I told myself that I wouldn’t let it happen this semester. Thanks to this class I was right. …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

These past few weeks have given me a lot to build off of. I have had ups and downs that were unexpected but I have taken class discussions and started taking steps that so far have helped me stay in the right direction. We talked a lot about personality traits and recognizing them and how …

Continue reading "SOH- Blog post #3"

Going from the beginning of this semester I feel a great start to figuring out how your body and personality related to happiness start with the strength survey. Figuring out what you do best and need to work on is the first step to applying the rest of these topics to becoming happy. If you … Continue reading blog post three
Looking back at the semester I am honestly not quite sure what I learned. One major take away is about which presentation styles appeal to me. This is my final semester of my undergrad so a majority of the information that was presented in the class I already knew. I think that a major goal […]
Throughout the course of the semester, SOH has taught me a lot. Some main takeaways that I have learned from this class is first the power of forgiveness. Dr. Worthington discussed the power of forgiveness and how in such a tough and tragic situation he was able to forgive the person who killed his mother. …

Continue reading "Blog Post 3"

HOW SCIENCE OF HAPPINESS IMPACTED MY LIFE Some major lessons that I learned over the course of this semester were the importance of self care and how to treat others with the same respect and kindness. Towards the end of... Continue Reading →
This semester some of the major things I learned were how to help others struggle with depression, the power of...
I learned a lot this semester in the “SCIENCE OF HAPPINESS” class and now I want to tell you all this information and my feelings in this final post. I believe that the most important skill I learned for this class is that I began to understand myself better in different life situations and had …

Continue reading "Blog#3"

Throughout the entire spring semester, I’ve came to the conclusion that happiness is a very complex process. By this I mean, happiness isn’t just the state of being happy, it requires the state of active participation and it is accompanied by concepts like sleep, diet/nutrition, physical well-being, and acknowledgement of one’s personal cognitive biases and … Continue reading SOH Blog Post #3 Final
Over this semester I have learned a lot about my self and how to deal with some situations I might be in or how to help friends and family if they are in a situation. I also learned a lot about the resources here on campus. I liked the tests we did about ourselves because this …

Continue reading "Blog post #3"

Whether it is having trouble eating healthy, struggling with screen use, and being successful in social settings (and in academic settings), etc. We find that overall we owe it to ourselves to be informed and see what resources are available because in the end it affects YOU. I’ve learned that every topic that’s been presented … Continue reading SOH Final Blog #3 (Sharon Kwon)
As I’ve been saying this entire semester, I’ve really enjoyed this class. Its been so beneficial to me and my wellbeing. I’ve learned so much from mindfulness exercises to tips on how to improve your resilience. The thing that has had the most impact on me were the mindfulness exercises. It was so interesting to …

Continue reading "I am her, she is me"

Over the course of the semester, I’ve learned so much about myself. Through the weekly activities, my responses to survey questions, etc. I’ve learned about the goals I have wanted to set for myself such as getting on a healthier diet, exercising more, altering my sleep schedule, social media use, and time management. The presenters … Continue reading SOH Blog Post 3- Reflection
When I first signed up for this class I didn’t know what to expect, but There was a lot of content from the course of this semester, from weekly readings, to daily activities in classes,group projects, and so much more. One of the things that really stuck out to me in class was doing the …

Continue reading "Blog Post 3"

One of the major lessons I have learned in this class is a healthier lifestyle is different for everybody. VCUDine Registered Dietitian, Erin Thornton, discussed mindful eating, balanced eating patterns, grocery shopping, and the individualized approach. The individualized approach involves the idea that eating patterns must be altered to fit one’s lifestyle, personal preferences, and … Continue reading Blog Post #3
Individuals making the transition from high school to college are going to experience significant changes in their dietary options which can cause health problems. First-year college students are likely to experience an increase in weight when they become independent, commonly known as the “freshman 15”. Due to high tuition costs and high cost of living, …

Continue reading "Nutrition"

This class has really helped me understand myself and how thing can affect me. This class has opened my eyes to a new way of thinking and has given me a way to positively change my attitude for my environment. I have learned about myself using the GRIT scale and the VIA Strengths survey. …

Continue reading "SOH Blog Post"

Throughout the semester we’ve learned countless life lessons that promotes both our own and other’s wellness and happiness. Starting with the more self-care oriented where we focused on how happiness and the varying aspects of our lives can have a huge impact on ourselves holistically. We gradually branched out so that once we learned the …

Continue reading "Blog Post #3"

The main lesson for me in this class was that true happiness starts within yourself. When I first started this class, I thought each class would be a different coping technique for depression so you can be happy. Although we did learn techniques, I learned more about myself. Smaller topics such as the VIA strengths …

Continue reading "SOH Final Blog Post"

This class is one of the best classes I have taken in a while. The main reason why I took this class was to find alternative ways to deal with a stressful college lifestyle. I will say that this course for me was a life changer. There has been so much that I have …

Continue reading "A Change of Heart <3"

In this class I have learned a lot about happiness and what can lead to it and what can hinder it. A few of the most important take away lessons I learned have learned was the way you eat, move, and sleep affect your happiness levels as well as the impact of social media on …

Continue reading "final blog post"

One of the major lessons I have learned this semester is that happiness can be felt in many different ways and can last over a short or longer period, depending on how much it affects the person. Whether it is small things such as getting a satisfying cup of coffee, celebrating a friend’s birthday or […]
Overall, the topics covered in week 6-10 focused on the blanket topics of mindfulness and resilience. On a more specific level, these weeks focused on how we cope with the stressors in our lives, the role substances play in our daily lives, and how well we actually know ourselves in terms of cognitive biases. These […]
  As a Psychology major, I have learned plenty of influential factors that is beneficial to our daily lives whether it is learning how to coping with stress, depression, or anxiety. One factor that has really stuck with me during our class time was resilience. With the rise in anxiety and depression reaching an all-time …

Continue reading "Resilience"

Throughout the semester I have learned how happiness is a feeling and just because we are not always happy does not mean we can not do things to help us feel the emotion of happiness. I also learned about my strengths and the things that I need to work on to help me become more …

Continue reading "blog post #3"

There are many similarities in the topics we learned about in these weeks. They are all beneficial to us in ways to make us happier and how to help manage stress better. There were some topics that differed, like the recovery topic we had, which may not pertain to you in general, but could play …

Continue reading "Noah Sharps SOH blog post 2"

Mental health has been defined as the absence of mental illnesses such as depression or anxiety. Depressive disorder, frequently referred to simply as depression, is more than just feeling sad or going through a rough patch. It’s a serious mental health condition that requires understanding and medical care. Left untreated, depression can be devastating for …

Continue reading "Blog post #1"

In weeks 6 through 10 we discussed cognitive bias, resiliency, and other mental wellness skills that help us control, organize, and be aware of our thoughts. These are all key things that contribute to managing and decreasing stress and in turn increasing increasing positivity. These skills are enhanced with what we learned in weeks 1 …

Continue reading "SOH Blog Post #2"

During weeks 6-10 we have talked and learned greatly about what resiliency is and how social media impacts our lives along with other concept containing mindfulness. A lot of the topics that we talked about connect together through reactions and knowledge building off each other to understand what certain things mean. Throughout the entire course … Continue reading Blog Post 2
Recently we’ve explored resiliency and the harmful effects of social media use.  Personally, I really needed these lessons in my life right now.  When it comes to resiliency, I’ve been struggling lately.  As a senior, I’ve been frantically applying to as many jobs as I can which means interview after interview.  After a few failed …

Continue reading "BLOG POST 2 MCNELIS"

During weeks 6- 10 we discussed Resiliency, cognitive bias, and other mental wellness skills that are helping not only learn who we really are but help us cope and respond positively to negative stimuli and stress. The content that we are going over now is helping us perceive outside source of stress like events or …

Continue reading "SOH Blog #2"

During weeks 6-10 I have gained so much well needed information containing mindfulness, Depression ,social media, how important meditation is, Cognitive biases, and this list goes on. Being in this class has not only helped me mentally but also has effected the people around me. One lecture that really stuck with me was the most …

Continue reading "Blog Post 2"

I have learned a lot of insightful things in these past chapters that I can apply to my own life and that I can use as guidance when navigating through relationships and helping other people. A common theme that I have noticed throughout the semester is practicing mindfulness and how this tactic can be applied …

Continue reading "Blog post 2"

Some of the things we learned in this chapter was very interesting to me and I actually learned a lot about myself and have changed my ways in class. I always thought that not having my phone would make class feel much longer and that I’d miss important information from either a text or phone […]
These past four weeks or so in class have been really insightful to me for recognizing how complex each individual’s personality is and how that…
At first glance mindfulness and personality traits don’t seem to have much in common but I picked up on some links between them in class. Practicing mindfulness helps people stare aware of their emotional state and allows you to be more at peace with your thoughts and interactions. If someone is higher in impulsivity or …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

In the first part of this class we learned about a variety of different topics about mental health, SUD, and stress. In the second part of the lecture series we learned about how you can improve protective factors in your life. We learned about mindfulness and ways that we can improve our emotional resilience skills. […]
From week 6 to week 10 I have learned a lot about how social media and how it plays a part in our everyday life.  How mindfulness practices can really help you stay calm and relaxed throughout the day. I learned that your phone can distract you from a lot of important moments and time …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

During weeks 6-10, the topics covered in class include the use of substance abuse and how it affects the psychological development of the brain, mindfulness, resilience, and the effects of mobile phone usage on mental development. One point of discussion... Continue Reading →
Weeks 6-10 covered interesting topics that included the recovery process, resiliency, and screen time. I found these interesting as they not only connect to each other but also to past discussions on mindfulness. The recovery process was something that related to me because of friends and family that have had a history with this. I …

Continue reading "Blog post 2"

Week 6-10 were about positive relationships, self-knowledge, mindfulness, resilience and emotional resilience in the digital age. A common tie is that they all have to do with the strength and ability of someone’s mental health. To maintain a positive relationship it is most important to know yourself and know when it is getting out of the …

Continue reading "Blog post #2"

During these past few weeks I have learned a lot about myself as well how the mind works. One week, we learned about our Personality Traits and how we ranked on them through our weekly exercise of the SURPS profile. We learned about how one of the traits is openness to experience. This personality trait …

Continue reading "Blog Post 2"

During weeks six through ten, we learned about many different things. Positive psychology being one. Positive Psychology is the scientific study of the strengths that enable individuals and communities to thrive. The first thing I noticed from this discussion was the slide that stated: “Self Care.” This is a very important factor. Not only for …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Going from week 6 to week 10, things that correlate together is social media, mindfulness and  being happy.  The number one thing that helped me understand the most about happiness is the social media/ cell phone topic. Being away from your phone helps you understand and appreciate and flat out focus on things more knowing … Continue reading blog 2
Going from week 6 to week 10, things that correlate together is social media, mindfulness and  being happy.  The number one thing that helped me understand the most about happiness is the social media/ cell phone topic. Being away from your phone helps you understand and appreciate and flat out focus on things more knowing … Continue reading blog #2
The science behind happiness is very intricate and requires an immense amount of effort to understand every little detail that’s included. Happiness is simply not based only on genetic influences, mental health flourishing, positive psychology and cultivating strengths, it’s much more than this which is why these topics from the first five weeks of class … Continue reading Science of Happiness Blog Post #2
I thought one of the most interesting lectures we had was about personality and the SURPs test. I liked doing...
The biggest connection that I have made from week six through week ten is mindfulness, social media, and overall happiness. Mindfulness and happiness tend to correlate with each other because doing mindfulness exercises help relieve stress which in turn makes people happier. I think that the anxiety lecture from the beginning of the semester can …

Continue reading "blog post #2"

The topics covered in Science of Happiness class, weeks 6-10, were Personality Traits & SURPS (Substance Use Risk Profile Scale), Cognitive Biases, Mindfulness, and Emotional Resilience. All these topics are similar in the way that they all affect the brain and physiological processes of the body. Impulsivity increases high-risk behaviors that can harm one’s body, … Continue reading Blog Post #2
During these past 4 weeks of class I have learned a lot about maintaining happiness with my life. We talked about how resiliency is a combination of a lot of the topics we discuss in class and how they can... Continue Reading →
  As the days go by, I learn more about what it really means to be happy. Most people think that it’s doing things you love without bad things happening. What it really is about is learning more about yourself and what you can do to positively impact your life while still living through the …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

These past few weeks I was able to learn a lot about myself. The topics that we discussed really hit home for me. It allowed me to see things in perspective and I was able to identify my area of weaknesses. We learned a lot about self-love and how do develop healthy habits in order …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

As we transition from being dependent adolescents who have lived and identified ourselves mainly with our friends and interests. We begin to explore a broader view of the world and become more exposed to adulthood. From needing to learn how to do the paperwork and filing taxes to become more independently financed but in educational …

Continue reading "Blog Post #2"

Photo from link below Resilience: A skill your child really needs to learn (and what you can do to help) Over these last couple weeks, we have learned a lot about personalities and how to assess our own and improve them.  One of those ways is through resiliency.  Resiliency to me is coming back from … Continue reading Blog Post #2
As this class continues, I learn more and more. The recurring point I seem to grasp from this class is being aware of who you are and where you stand in your mental health. Mental health is very important to me as it effected my father’s side of the family heavily. I really value the …

Continue reading "Learn You to Protect You"

During these weeks, we looked at quite a few different and interesting topics that helped us get to know ourselves better. Learn your strengths and weaknesses. For myself, I think the most important thing was SURPS, because it was this survey that helped me to know myself much better, I discovered many new facts about …

Continue reading "BLOG #2"

Week 6 was about getting to know yourself, as well as during week 3 we answered a survey and got a profile of our characteristics that are most valued to us. Mine was creativity, ingenuity, originality, honesty and gratitude. These are a part of our personal traits. More so, we had a speaker coming in … Continue reading Life Changes
over the past couple weeks of class, we have discussed mental health issues, substance use, anxiety, and the problems that smartphones along with other technology can cause on a person’s mental health and wellbeing. With those topics in mind, I find that they all have some sort of relationship with each item. I think the …

Continue reading ""

I think that the topic of resilience, anxiety disorders, and relationships with substance that we talked about in class are similar because they all deal with mental health. I think that individuals with good mental health have better resilience and help individual’s being less anxious. I also think the topic of anxiety and depression is …

Continue reading "Blog post #2"

MENTAL HEALTH AND MINDFULNESS: HOW THOSE FACTORS AFFECT THE MILLENNIAL For the last 5 weeks in class, we talked about how genetics influence someone’s mental health and behaviors, the cause and effects of depression, anxiety, and mood states, positive relationships... Continue Reading →
  The topics that we went over in the past couple of weeks truly helped us define our inner selves. We were able to determine what our weaknesses are, as well as our strengths. When discussing our SURPS interpretation, we were able to figure out if our personality is capable of leading us to an …

Continue reading "A New Start in Life"

For this blog post assignment, I want to post specifically about what I truly enjoyed learning the most or what made a big impact on myself. Obviously, all of the information from the readings and lectures are important and all are intertwined but I found a few things that stuck out the most to me. …

Continue reading "Blog #1"

This class is such a new take on learning for me. Learning about different topics each class period and then connecting them all together in different aspects of education and day to day life. I found it intriguing how much psychology can make you better and break you down depending on how you step through … Continue reading #1 Reflection Blog SOH
The topics that we have learned so far this semester have been aimed towards making us more aware of our general happiness and giving us tools and resources to help us improve ourselves mentally.  We talked about conditions that are genetically linked and I learned that it is normal to see conditions like depression or …

Continue reading "BLOG POST 1"

The topics we have discussed int the past five weeks are all interrelated. The “genetic influences on behavior” class  related to the class on “depression, anxiety, and mood states” because it showed that moods had a genetic factor and you suffer from certain mental disorders, it is likely that someone else in your family suffers …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

These first five weeks of class have been helping me understand the bigger idea of mental health being this complex thing that’s always a work…
Over the course of this class we had many guest speakers come and go to shine light on certain topics ranging from self exploring our own strengths and weaknesses to a more medical take on mental illnesses affecting those around us. Overall these different takes, personal stories, and statistics revolving around a “healthier” and more … Continue reading Fall 2018 SOH Blog #1
So far this class has given me a much better understanding of the science behind happiness. I was very intrigued by the nature vs nurture discussion seeing I believe that nurture most likely plays the biggest role in our mental status but nature also plays a quite important role as well! I was also interested …

Continue reading "post 1"

These past 5 weeks have been so fast and I already learned a lot in this class. Something I really like is the mindfulness exercises we do before class because this really helps me to forget all my worries for a little and empty my mind. I liked the VIA strengths survey because I got to see …

Continue reading "Blog post #1"

The topics we have gone through the first five weeks can easily relate to each other. We went through talking about anxiety and depression for example, how they go together, but also how the differ from each other. Furthermore, we talked about how happiness can de defined and more so understood and felt. On top … Continue reading First Five Weeks
Our class gets treated to speakers coming in and discussing the “Science of Happiness” with us. I believe that the lectures along with the assignments we’ve done all somehow highlight one’s overall daily activities, moods, or overall well being are affected by their mental health.  After all, according to Keyes, mental health is more than …

Continue reading "Science of Happiness Blog Post #1"

Blog Post #1   Throughout the first five weeks of this marvelous course, we have covered numerous topics relevant to the science of happiness and what the science behind it entails. When I first signed up for this class I didn’t know what to expect from the course content. I am already a psychology major … Continue reading The Active Journey
In these few classes, I have learned a great deal on how happiness is defined. Every topic has its own ways of defining happiness while still being somewhat similar in a way. They all can affect your predisposition to being happy but each one of them is different in how it affects you. One may …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

I believe that the all of the topics that we have learned about have had some type of correlation related to mental health in general.  It was just different interpretations, and or different ways to be alert to them while also informing people on how to deal with them. To be honest I wasn’t very …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

The more I learn about Psychology and the further I go in my studies the more I learn that there are so many intersections and factors influencing our lives. What I find most interesting about psychology is how all these factors combine to produce our individual lives and the variety of ways that occurs. Aspects …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

I feel the topics we have covered in this class all go together well. Why I think so is because  the general status of being happy has more to It then just your general feeling in the moment of thinking your happy. Their are many factors that go in to play that can make you … Continue reading blog post 1
I feel the topics we have covered in this class all go together well. Why I think so is because  the general status of being happy has more to It then just your general feeling in the moment of thinking your happy. Their are many factors that go in to play that can make you … Continue reading review of what I learned
Throughout the first five weeks of class, I have learned a lot about the following topics; Keyes’ model of complete mental health/flourishing, genetic influences on behavior, depression, anxiety, and mood states, introduction to positive psychology, cultivating our strengths. The topic that has stuck with me the most is how important self-care is and how much …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"

When I first signed up for this class I was like, “okay being a sociology/psychology major, this class will be easy, I already know a lot in regards to mental illness.” Although, this class even thus far has changed how I thought about mental illness and what may come with it. Learning about twins and …

Continue reading "Blog Post 1"

Throughout the first five weeks of this class, I have learned a lot as far as happiness and mental health issues, as well as bettering myself to live by having a more positive lifestyle.  First, the Keyes’ model illustrates how one can have a mental illness and still have high mental health. Then on the …

Continue reading "SOH Blog Post 1"

I think that a majority of the topics covered in the first few weeks of the class go hand and hand with one another. From mental illness to mental health and wellbeing, many important concepts have been discussed. It was very surprising to me how Keyes’ describes mental health and mental illness through taking them […]
I believe that the topics covered in the first 5 weeks of the class both relate and differ from each other. It is easy to say that genetics have influence on behavior whether it is abusive or mental illness, but... Continue Reading →
These past five weeks I have learned a lot about the mind and the science of happiness. I was really excited to take this class because a friend of mind recommended it to me and I was honestly surprised that a class like this even existed. Within in just a few weeks, I was able …

Continue reading "Blog Post 1"

As a psychology major, a large portion what we have learned is familiar to me. However, some aspects such as the Keyes’ model of complete health, have never been introduced. I liked the model because it was a good demonstrator for the levels one can achieve mental health (flourishing, moderate, and languishing). It is important … Continue reading SOH Blog Post 1
Being that I am a junior psychology major, I have already learned a large portion of the content that we have gone over in class so far. However, Science of Happiness opened my eyes during our class on 2/08 with Dr. Worthington’s lecture on positive psychology. Dr. Worthington’s primary focus of the lecture was on … Continue reading Blog Post #1
Throughout this week we have learned many different ways in which mental illness affects us and how we can help...
Mental health has significant impacts on an individuals’ cognitive, emotional, and physical abilities. The dimensions of Keye’s Model of complete mental health/flourishing shows that a continuum is the absence of both mental illness and presence of flourishing while not dualistic is one or the other. Although nature vs. nurture was heavily argued to be the …

Continue reading "OVERCOMING OUR OWN BIOLOGY"

One of the things we did in class that I found interesting was take the VIA survey. To me it was pretty obvious what my results would be, because I’ve taken multiple personality test to see the kind of person I am. My top five results were Forgiveness, Humor, Social Intelligence, Honesty, and Love. When …

Continue reading "Strengths vs Weakness"

I think all aspects of mental health are interconnected in some way or another. I think the first portion of our learning with the Keye’s model of mental health and flourishing focused on people as individuals and provided different approaches of what could possibly constitute mental health within. What we learned next was more about …

Continue reading "Blog Post #1"