Blog Post 4

What I ate…

Yesterday at work (Panera) I had a half salad and a half sandwich.

• lettuce
  • tomatoes
  • onions
  • corn
  • dressing
  • turkey
  • chicken
  • cheese
  • bacon
  • cucumbers

Those are all the ingredients I had in my food yesterday. Having taken this class and having to think beyond where do I get food such as stores more of where they are grown and produced and in the way they are done so makes me wonder if what I am eating is doing harm or good. SYGMA supplies Panera with some of it’s food. And knowing that Panera is trying to get its clean food concept across they do have some moral aspect in their mission beside “a loaf of bread in every arm”. Still some it’s food is frozen and made elsewhere. I work there and still question how we get some of the food. Being an employee doesn’t give me much inside on where the suppliers get their food or where else that same food is being distributed. All I know is that there are ingredients that aren’t allowed in what they serve and they have a huge list of them but do they get their food locally, nationally, internationally? After asking my manager a serious of question concerning I only got a crazy look from him and short answers. Panera get’s their food nationally.  Researching was very difficult and a dead end. I am unable to find where SYGMA get’s their food. Looking into their website it looks very businessy. Panera does say that their chicken is cage free even before the egg but what about its produce? Do they use chemicals to grow their produce? How clean is their suppliers process of cleaning and cutting the produce? I still have questions that I have not answered. Honestly I have more questions than what I started with. Who would have known that thinking beyond what should I eat today would turn out to give me in a (good) way anxiety to know more about my food. I am not sure how to feel about food when I go out to restaurants or grocery stores to buy food. I love to make food at home but I still have  a limited power over my food.

The reading…

Every week we have read an article or section of a book on food and the impact that it has on society. In this weeks reading I relearned that some food that we have today was not around YEARS ago. There were floating gardens in Azteca (Mexico) that harvested food so that Louis XIV could eat. Besides having to think back in time when there weren’t a lot of food and having to hunt and grow enough to survive the article also said that in today’s society they have shifted their attention. From farming enough to survive to an agro-food system on health nutrition, economic development, and community activism. They also talk about how it’s important to have accessibility and affordability of food. Farming was a necessity that every person encountered. No matter where in the world they harvested food based on culture they had, traditions, educational purposes, and morale. Today we have corn, potato, tomato, vanilla, tobacco, beans, avocados, pecans, CHOCOLATE and other foods are New World Foods that we as a population were fortunate enough to have found them though “discovering” America. We went from farming what we knew to learning and educating ourselves of new food and opening our taste for foods. Those who taught us shared their traditions and culture. We later showed others and a wave of cultures and traditions were formed along the world. I am amazed at how much food affects us in every aspect. From having to choose what to eat to making decisions as a child from what is good for our bodies to learning how to plant some type of plant in elementary school. When I think back to my educational life my teachers always talked about plants, in science it was their process of making food and parts of a plant (cells) as well as leaning how to grow a lima bean in a little plastic cup with cotton and water. Food is a huge variable in life. As so we should make more thoughtful decisions on what we consume and how we grow what we consume.

Morals?

Morals are seen and right vs wrong. It’s a person’s standards of behaviors or beliefs concerning what is acceptable to them and what isn’t.  When it comes to food I really don’t think about morals. How are morals and food related? It’s hard to think of a connection between the two. Morals tend to be associated with actions that a person does or doesn’t. It guides them though their life. My meals aren’t always healthy and I don’t mind it because as omnivore we have tons of choices. How to choose between all different types of delicious food? Impossible so I take what ever is closest or what I feel like eating. Some people do think about morals when eating. Some people have religion and their diet connected. Which I respect fully and understand little if I am honest. Other people think of healthy and unhealthy as their right and wrong. Just like in Crest’s article mentioned Americans always think morally about food while countries with rich cultures tend to have positive connotations with food.                               {So from that point}                        Being Mexican and having a rich culture at home and traditions that are still celebrated I have a different perspective about food. I don’t see desserts as negative things but as a joy. Majority of the food I consume is not healthy in the terms that it has fat. If my mother cooks it would be considered wrong but delicious and for me it’s right. When I cook I tend to have more veggies just because I love them and people would consider that right. If we take the perspective of scientist we need a balanced meal according to the food pyramid. We don’t have use a pyramid. Morals for me are used to determine what is wrong and what is right and I use that in actions. It helps me decide what to do in different situations but never in what I should eat. I have never thought of morals when eating or planing of buying food until now that I have sat down and thought about things from the perspective of science and how most people think. In the reading morality refers more to the sustainability of food more so in long-term food sufficiency, system which preserves and conserves resources, and lastly agricultural practices that local communities preserve or reinstate for future generations.  His main concern is about having enough food to sustain human life. How future generations have rights and should be respected. When taking on his confusing view one starts to think like him and questions am I immoral? What do I do to help grow enough food. It’s not very easy to say that one is morally right or wrong. These things are individually,even after having read the reading and thinking of morals in what one is responsible for making sure we have enough food to sustain a community for years I still don’t use morals to eat food. The way I see food is as fuel for my body. I need food to be able to function as a human and be able to go though the day and my activities. Walking to places, thinking for classes, and working long hours is exhausting and my fuel helps me get things done like focusing, being able to work productively and fast. When I think about food I start to think of the aroma that is produced by the food, how it would be presented on a plate, how much it costs. Those factors all help me decide what to eat or if I have eaten that plate already in the week I look for an alternative choice. After reading Burkhardt’s Journal I do believe that we should think more about the future. Not exactly what to consume but how much is being wasted. Most of the time that people eat they serving size is more than what they actually eat and some part of their plate is wasted and thrown in the trash. From farms to plates and then to landfills, what a pleasant  way to end right? We as people need to take care of the food that is not being used. We invented the refrigerator in order to keep food fresh for a longer period we invented the freezer to freeze food and use them months after being bought. Now we have canned food that helps us preserve food as well as preservatives. We have gone a long way to make sure that we have food for later but do we have enough food to make it longer than months? Can we continue to waste food and how long can we afford it? Things are changing every day from agriculture to industrial and now it’s a mixture of both or better said a battle between modern and past. People want organic food due to the association of being healthier. People are trying to revisit the time where everyone would harvest enough food for their family’s sustainability. While others want fast food news always talks about news on food. Don’t you just sit there and think why are they saying one thing one day and another the next? Yeah that’s me, they talk about pizza vending machines at schools and then they talk about ways to lose fat and get the perfect body for the summer. I don’t see the correlation between either one they don’t take sides or give information to help understand each side all they do is give enough information so that when people watch they say yeah that’s cool and to have better ratings than the next news channel. Again I personally don’t use morals when eating but maybe we (and mostly I) should start to worry about the future. How are things being cultivated, is the process harmful for the earth, are animals being treating fairly (excluding when killing). All really good questions about food, many people use morals when being other merchandise such as the Uggs (the wool from sheep are violently shaved off from sheep and left untreated) which not many people know and if they did they would not buy from the brand due to their morals (animal cruelty). It’s time for us to start thinking the sam way with our food.

Hopes and Fears

Service learning by definition is a teaching and learning strategy that mixes community service and lectures. The outcome is a reflection of what a community has and doesn’t. Knowing what strengthens a community and what are its weak points can help determine the best route for the community. This learning style is enriched with experiences, teaches civic responsibility as well as strengthens communities. Being able to farm and learn techniques for “free” that in other cases you would need to go to school and in debt to get this experience. In middle school I remember learning about a citizen’s civic duties and responsibilities; many people forget that being engaged in their community is a responsibility. I personally am excited to engage in my community it’s not easy to find ways to help especially when you’re a college student. Having to find the connections, time, and interest are the main obstacles but for some it’s not that hard. When signing up for the class my hope were to try foods from different cultures and learning about those same cultures. Being able to know more cultures and not just knowing what media portrays. Then in class when they shattered my views of the class I was saddened, at first. Then I was informed about how the class was structured and that the class was a service project, it was still hard to digest but at last not everything was broken. I still am getting to learn about food and culture not the way I had in mind but close. For this class I am hoping that the class will teach me skills that I can apply outside of classrooms. Not just said but also done, it’s easy when professors “teach skills” but they never show you how to apply them in real life situations. This will also help strengthen some skills and talents that I might have or even discover new ones. Giving that this class helps us engage with our community it gives us a civic capacity that many citizens don’t achieve. Like I said before, citizens forget that they have civic responsibilities the only duty they remember is to vote. Many consider themselves ideal citizens but we have room to improve. The class is less lecture based and more hands on. I don’t have to sit in class for 50 minutes and wait for the professor to assign homework I have the opportunity to talk in class, to get to know everyone, be part of “something bigger” as many people might say. This job is also very good for resumes, having various activities and experiences opens the work world for people like me that has not had a job until this summer. It was hard to get an interview giving the fact that I had no experience at a job but yet I had multiple experiences with community services. Teaching  Spanish to elementary schools helped me get out and speak in-front of people. It helps that they are amazed that “high schoolers” are teaching so it’s not as much pressure like other situations might be. I have tutored ESL students in various subjects mostly English and math. Knowing where their struggle might come from (I was an ESL student) helps when they don’t understand teacher’s approaches. Helping out with the Diabetes Walk and Out of the Darkness Walk (suicide awareness) helped me know organization skills. S.O.D.A also was a helpful experience that showed me how to handle troubled students and how to mentor them to become in a way mini versions of yourself. Both S.O.D.A and teaching Spanish helped me appreciate the time that professors dedicate for each class. The time and effort that one has to have in order to have a smooth lecture or when they don’t work out and at the top of your head you have to find a solution. It’s not easy like it seems and this is why I like to do community service, you learn things that otherwise you would never have and you meet sweet interesting people along the way. The bright side is that this class will help us get involved easily, being able to find what we like to do and strengthen our talents and abilities in the gardens. This class is hope for the younger generations to see what they can accomplish by setting aside all personal interests and getting their hands dirty. We as “young” adults can show the “older” adults that we too are responsible and reliable. As well being role models for younger children that need or want one. The fears of this class go hand by hand. I am not an outgoing person by nature, I tend to step out of my comfort zone every time I do community service. Having to talk to people that I have never meet and will never see does scare me. This is a time-consuming class due to having to volunteer energy, time, and more. Being a college student is already hard; managing time between classes, homework, labs, eating healthy, getting enough sleep, jobs, sports, clubs, family time and on top of that adding a service project, I already am exhausted and I don’t want to have a breakdown. Overall I am excited to be part of this class. The first few days of working at the service project it will be unorganized and chaotic due to not knowing what each student likes to do and where their skills can be embellished.

Hiii

Hello I am Daniela. I am looking forward to learn more about where food comes and how we can use the knowledge we will learn to grow our own food.
My favorite drink on a rainy cold day {any day actually} is coffee!

Just another Rampages.us site