Blog Post 4

What I ate…

Yesterday at work (Panera) I had a half salad and a half sandwich.

• lettuce
  • tomatoes
  • onions
  • corn
  • dressing
  • turkey
  • chicken
  • cheese
  • bacon
  • cucumbers

Those are all the ingredients I had in my food yesterday. Having taken this class and having to think beyond where do I get food such as stores more of where they are grown and produced and in the way they are done so makes me wonder if what I am eating is doing harm or good. SYGMA supplies Panera with some of it’s food. And knowing that Panera is trying to get its clean food concept across they do have some moral aspect in their mission beside “a loaf of bread in every arm”. Still some it’s food is frozen and made elsewhere. I work there and still question how we get some of the food. Being an employee doesn’t give me much inside on where the suppliers get their food or where else that same food is being distributed. All I know is that there are ingredients that aren’t allowed in what they serve and they have a huge list of them but do they get their food locally, nationally, internationally? After asking my manager a serious of question concerning I only got a crazy look from him and short answers. Panera get’s their food nationally.  Researching was very difficult and a dead end. I am unable to find where SYGMA get’s their food. Looking into their website it looks very businessy. Panera does say that their chicken is cage free even before the egg but what about its produce? Do they use chemicals to grow their produce? How clean is their suppliers process of cleaning and cutting the produce? I still have questions that I have not answered. Honestly I have more questions than what I started with. Who would have known that thinking beyond what should I eat today would turn out to give me in a (good) way anxiety to know more about my food. I am not sure how to feel about food when I go out to restaurants or grocery stores to buy food. I love to make food at home but I still have  a limited power over my food.

The reading…

Every week we have read an article or section of a book on food and the impact that it has on society. In this weeks reading I relearned that some food that we have today was not around YEARS ago. There were floating gardens in Azteca (Mexico) that harvested food so that Louis XIV could eat. Besides having to think back in time when there weren’t a lot of food and having to hunt and grow enough to survive the article also said that in today’s society they have shifted their attention. From farming enough to survive to an agro-food system on health nutrition, economic development, and community activism. They also talk about how it’s important to have accessibility and affordability of food. Farming was a necessity that every person encountered. No matter where in the world they harvested food based on culture they had, traditions, educational purposes, and morale. Today we have corn, potato, tomato, vanilla, tobacco, beans, avocados, pecans, CHOCOLATE and other foods are New World Foods that we as a population were fortunate enough to have found them though “discovering” America. We went from farming what we knew to learning and educating ourselves of new food and opening our taste for foods. Those who taught us shared their traditions and culture. We later showed others and a wave of cultures and traditions were formed along the world. I am amazed at how much food affects us in every aspect. From having to choose what to eat to making decisions as a child from what is good for our bodies to learning how to plant some type of plant in elementary school. When I think back to my educational life my teachers always talked about plants, in science it was their process of making food and parts of a plant (cells) as well as leaning how to grow a lima bean in a little plastic cup with cotton and water. Food is a huge variable in life. As so we should make more thoughtful decisions on what we consume and how we grow what we consume.

5 thoughts on “Blog Post 4”

1. I think working at any food place, fast food or restaurant, makes someone question where the good comes from and how it is made. By working somewhere like this, talking to someone who does, and learning things such as we do in a class like this would change many perspectives of food choices made day to day.

2. Moralesmorade,

I relate to you in this post. This class has me constantly question where the food I am eating is coming; and it’s becoming very challenging! I hope this continues to challenge me to better my options while giving me guidance on the best sources.

3. I liked how you shared your personal experience about working at Panera. Many chain restaurants advertise how healthy and fresh their ingredient are but as you explained earlier that is not the case. You spoke about the article and how back in the day farming was a necessity for every single person but I think that is it is interesting that in our day and age farming considered outdated and the value of farming has gone down .

4. I love the questions that you have come up with. They are very deep and specific. Unfortunately, your manager does not have the answers. Which I think is incredibly important. Because what a customer wanted to know?!?!

5. Coming from someone who has never worked with food and has only ever worked retail, it’s really odd to hear about how the food we are receiving when we order at a restaurant has traveled really far, some internationally even, to find its way upon our plates for us to eat. And how it is really hard to track down where that food is even coming from.