Nugget for Computer Lib/Dream Machines

Computer Lib/Dream Machines by Theodor H. Nelson

Almost everyone seems to agree that Mankind (who?) is on the brink of a revolution in the way information is handled, and that this revolution is to come from some sort of merging of electronic screen presentation and audio-visual technology with branching, interactive computer systems.

This passage speaks volumes to me when I think about my primary text. It seems to me that we have already hit this “information revolution,” seeing as though more than half of the US public uses the Internet to access news (and of course, the Internet is accessed through some sort of computer system). The Internet’s prominent role in delivering information to users across the world is evidence that we have arrived at an information revolution, especially when taking into consideration my selected primary text. According to the primary text, the number one most visited site in the world is Google, with Facebook coming in second. People use these Internet titans to find the information they seek and share it with others, effectively revolutionizing the way information is spread. Because of the majority of people using the Internet to receive news and information, and the overwhelming popularity of Google and Facebook, I really do think that mankind has arrived at an information revolution.

EDIT

This passage speaks volumes to me when I think about my primary text. It seems to me that we have already hit this “information revolution,” seeing as though more than half of the US public uses the Internet to access news (and of course, the Internet is accessed through some sort of computer system). The Internet’s prominent role in delivering information to users across the world is evidence that we have arrived at an information revolution, especially when taking into consideration my selected primary text. According to the primary text, the number one most visited site in the world is Google, with Facebook coming in second. People use these Internet titans to find the information they seek and share it with others, effectively revolutionizing the way information is spread. Because of the majority of people using the Internet to receive news and information, and the overwhelming popularity of Google and Facebook, I really do think that mankind has arrived at an information revolution.

Ifrah‘s nugget can also be applied to Nelson’s idea. The nugget Ifrah chose states: “…Computers are simply a necessary and enjoyable part of life, like food and books. Computers are not everything, they are just an aspect of everything…” The importance of the computer today is very important, but it is not as important as it may seem. There are far more important things, such as education and freedom. Today, however, a great deal of education happens through computer use, and (as I hope to prove through my inquiry project) so does attaining freedom. For billions of computer users around the world, computers are the main source of attaining information, ranging from trivial gossip to dense scientific literature and everything in between (and beyond), thereby reforming the education process. As Michael states, “It [computers] could revolutionize teaching and many other aspects of life,” adding weight to Nelson’s idea that we are racing towards an information revolution.

As Jala states “…computers are really being a part of our everyday lives. We’ve all got tiny computer (cellphones) in our pockets…” This again adds to Nelson’s idea that we are speeding towards an information revolution. Our daily (practically constant) use of computers serves as a way we receive and share information. We use our phones to send and receive text messages, make and receive phone calls, Tweet, check Facebook, and surf the Internet among other things, all of which are forms of us gathering and sending information. Computers have taken over the way we communicate with one another and the way we are exposed to and share information, thus justifying Nelson’s belief that Mankind is on the verge of an information revolution (if we have not arrived at it already).