Interior Design

Most everyone has heard of the Egyptian Revolution, the revolution that brought together millions of people for the sole purpose of ousting then president Hosni Mubarak. The Revolution began on January 25, 2011, National Police Day, with a protest that brought together tens of thousands of Egyptians demanding an end to Mubarak’s tyrant regime. The poor economic, legal, and political state of Egypt caused extreme distress and the people were growing increasingly tired of Mubarak and his regime. The event that caused all the pent up frustration to explode into full-fledged revolution was the death of 28 year old Khaled Said, a young man brutally beaten to death by Egyptian police officers for no known reason. On February 11, 2011, Hosni Mubarak resigned from office and power was handed to the Egyptian military. 

What not many people know is that social media titans Facebook and Twitter played an enormous role throughout the Egyptian Revolution. After the death of Said, a Facebook page was created to spread awareness of increasing police brutality in Egypt, and within a few months over 250,000 people had joined the page. Facebook was used to organize the protests and share detailed itineraries with the revolutionaries. Twitter was used to provide live updates from the protests as well as a quick and efficient means of alerting others of trouble. I genuinely believe that it is important for people to know and understand the immense role Facebook and Twitter played in the Egyptian Revolution, as these sites shaped the way information was spread and change was assembled.

The research I have conducted has truly shed light on to how much of an influence Facebook and Twitter had in the Egyptian Revolution. I have uncovered, among other things, statistics on Twitter use leading up to and during the mass protests and exactly how Facebook was used to aid and expand the protests. The research I have found has helped me to see and understand that Facebook and Twitter were instrumental in the Egyptian revolution.

Given the fact that not many people recognize the role social media played in the Egyptian Revolution and the research I have found, I would like for my thesis to be something along the lines of: By providing a platform for which revolutionaries could share information, organize protests, and broadcast live updates, social media titans Facebook and Twitter were instrumental in the Egyptian Revolution. Through my project (using the information collected from my research), I wish to address the precise roles Facebook and Twitter played in the Egyptian Revolution.

#InteriorDesign #Dreaming

One thought on “Interior Design

1. RCales

This is a solid structure, Mirna. When writing the full introduction, be sure to flesh out the pertinent research (a bit) to establish the context and highlight the problem you see with lack of general understanding of the issue. Additionally, think about how you can parse how you’re thinking of how Facebook and Twitter were “instrumental” in the events. As you mention, getting more precise with the roles played will help the reader understand what is missing with the typical conception. It would seem that many will accept the importance of social media here. What specifically are you proposing that is essential to understand about the use of Facebook and Twitter here?

I’m very excited to see the full project!