Content is King…or Queen

“One of the exciting things about the Internet is that anyone with a PC and a modem can publish whatever content they can create.” – Bill Gates

Chess_king_and_pawns-2

As Bill Gates said almost 20 years ago (scary!), the Internet is an invaluable resource for finding content, and I was excited to be able to spend some time this week looking for content out there that can help make my online classes better and more exciting. Last week I focused more on tools to help make my courses interactive and organized. This week I wanted to really see what content already exists that I can use to create (and expand) my teaching materials.

The first searched for materials I could use for my Introduction to Mass Communication course and I, unfortunately, didn’t find much. There were a couple of videos that may be useful and I found a syllabus that I saved for future reference, but that was about it. However, I realized while I was searching that my lack of knowledge about the class and exactly what I’ll be teaching was probably the reason I wasn’t finding much. Since the class is new to me, I am not really sure what I am hoping to find. I feel like I need to dive into the textbook and think about my lectures more before I really know what to search for and how to search for it.

For my other class (Crisis Communication), which I taught face-to-face last Fall, I felt like I hit the jackpot. When I was teaching the class before I often searched online for case studies but never once thought to search for non-text content, such as videos. As I started searching for videos that I could use for the course (which I found a number of), I discovered an interesting podcast, which I am VERY excited about. A podcast is something I never thought about using to support my teaching efforts but this is perfect and I can’t wait to listen more and figure out how I can best use them.

I am going to keep searching…

One thought on “Content is King…or Queen

1. Going back to Bill Gates’ quote, you can also create your own content for students to use in your course, especially if you can’t find exactly what you are looking for. Even better perhaps you can start to think about how you and your students can use some of the tools you’ve looked at to contribute to the content of the course.