Feedback and Assessment

In my courses, I tend to use different types of assessment (both formative and summative) and feedback. For example, I have students turn in pieces of final projects throughout the semester for early feedback/review, but I also give quizzes throughout the semester to ensure that students are listening to what I am saying and reading what they are assigned. I try to give feedback in various ways depending on the assignment: I provide written comments on assignments, I meet with groups/students individually to review things more in depth and I simply grade certain things right/wrong. I’ve never really thought about what drives the choices I make in this area, other than that I want to ensure that students are grasping the material which is why I grade particular things right/wrong but then I also want to help them learn and encourage them to think differently about things which is why I like to meet with them one-on-one to review things they’ve turned in. I think a combination of types of assessment and feedback is important because they compliment each other and encourage students to pay attention but then also think about the material on a deeper level. As a newer professor, I definitely struggle with assessment and feedback in certain areas, but I change things every semester based on what I notice, what students say and discussions I have with my colleagues.

One thought on “Feedback and Assessment

1. It sounds like you have a system that’s working for you and your students right now, in an online format some of your choices may change but the general idea of providing students the support they need will be the same