Trying Something New

I was really excited about this OLE assignment because I have been trying to think through how I am going to use a private Facebook group for my Social Media and Events class. While the class will be meeting in person two days a week, it’s an intense, one-credit class that will only last for 6 weeks I’ve been grappling with how to make it efficient and still make sure the students are getting the most out of it. After brainstorming with a friend/colleague, I decided that a private Facebook group might be a good way for students to share their work and receive feedback (from me as well as the other students in the course). The Facebook group is also interesting since the class focuses on using social media to promote events.

The final class project is to create a seven-day social media campaign for the UCI Road World Championships that will encourage participation and volunteerism. There will be two week prior to the launch of the campaign where class will be very intense because students will be learning about the different platforms, hearing from industry experts and trying to develop their campaign at the same time. This is where the private FB group will be handy. Below is the assignment:

Campaign Development

Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 1.42.28 PM

Throughout the six-week course, students will be required to maintain a Facebook account and will be required to join the course’s private Facebook group. Students will post ideas to and provide feedback through our private Facebook group (primarily during the second and third weeks of the course). Below is a list of what you are required to post as a group and/or individually and the date it should be posted. Note: all things should be up before class on the day they are due.

Tuesday, September 1:

• Each group to post three campaign theme ideas
  • Each student must individually provide feedback on two other group’s campaign theme ideas

Thursday, September 3:

• Each group to post a sample message for first day of campaign that relates to the final theme chosen
  • Each student must individually provide feedback on two other group’s first day message ideas

Tuesday, September 8:

• Each group to post a sample message for the middle of their campaign that relates to the final theme chosen
  • Each student must individually provide feedback on two other group’s mid-week message ideas

Thursday, September 10:

• Each group to post sample message for the last day of their campaign that relates to the final theme chosen
  • Each student must individually provide feedback on two other group’s last day message ideas