Final Reflection

Looking over the four learning goals for this course, I feel that I have received a good introduction to the field of online instruction.  I definitely do not feel like an expert on any of these goals, but I feel like I have been given a foundation to build upon.  I think my biggest change came from goal #3, “effective virtual systematic instructional design through the development  of a virtual learning environment”.  It has been a big change to go from face-to-face instruction to online only.

The activities that I found most effective in the course were the ones involved with the actual development of our online module.  Creating outlines, receiving feedback and making a final product were most helpful.  The least effective activities were those that involved reading and blogging about  studies that involved too much data reporting (Community of Inquiry comes to mind),

The only improvement I can think of reflects on my face-to-face classroom preference – I would have loved to have gotten the entire class and instructor physically together at least once during the course, just for social interaction.

Final Project Blog

It’s done.  The project is finished (for now – I know I will “tweak” it again when I actually use it in my class).  I have created a hybrid module to introduce my students to the field of cybersecurity.  Since this is an introductory module, there will be no formal assessment, but instead the students will post a reflection on what they have learned at the end of the module.  In addition, I have created a new kind of forum for them to express themselves – I am looking forward to see how they utilize the discussion portions of this module.

I would love for my fellow classmates (and instructor) to look over the module, and offer any suggestions.  As I have mentioned before, it’s hard to see problems when you are too close to something.

It has been an interesting journey.  I have learned there are both many similarities and many differences between face-to-face classes and online classes.  Building community is important in both – we just have to accomplish this in different ways.   Discussions can take longer in online classes (since students are working at different times), but it can also be a better way, since normally quiet students can more easily participate.

Project evaluation – if you use the criteria that the module had to be mostly online, and would utilize technology to achieve the learning goal, then my project meets those standards.

Virtual Reality

Jeremy Bailenson’s video was amazing.  There was so much information presented that I want to follow up on , just no time right now (sigh).  Break will be here soon, however.

If I could use VR in my classes, I think I could most benefit from the “gaze” item mentioned in the video, as well as the ability to tailor a lecture to a given student.   I have many students who have issues with paying attention, who are easily distracted (I have so many students with IEPs and 504s this year I had to create a spreadsheet to keep track of them all).  Bailenson’s work (even his rudimentary “11 lines of Python code”) showed that the students who had the direct attention of the VR instructor did better.  And using the Kinect to monitor body language, to see when students were losing attention, you could slow down a virtual lesson, or add additional information based on the student’s response.

It will be very interesting to see how this field evolves.  Yet another person/subject to follow online….

MOOCs!

While MOOCs are online courses, I do not feel that they meet the requirements of the courses we have been learning to design.  I do not think they belong as a CREDIT course in the K-12 environment, but I could see them being used as an enrichment option for some of our more mature students (self-regulated learners)  who want to explore topics not offered at the high school.

After reading the three articles, I cannot imagine myself as an instructor for a MOOC.  I rely too much on the interaction with my students, both online and face-to-face.  The module I am developing depends on interactions between the students, to develop a better sense of community.  I also need the students to read all of their classmates’ responses, something that would be impossible in a MOOC.

I do have difficulty seeing MOOCs used as a credit course.  I agree more with the following quote from the “Exploring the Instructional Value and Worth of a MOOC”:

“…could utilize MOOCs for the purpose of providing useful information to very large target groups.  In essence, a MOOC would be designed as an information seminar that would allow participants benefit from learning from a field expert but with limited interactions and little-to-no assessment of their learning”.

Final Plan for Module

By the end of this course, I would like to complete my  module for the Introduction of Cybersecurity (one more lesson needs to be added).  I plan on using the entire module during the 3rd quarter of the year, as the beginning to our unit on cybersecurity.   Feedback from classmates and Monty would be appreciated – it always helps to have other people look over your work!  I always encourage my students to test each others’ programs and help each other debug their work.  Sometimes when you are too close to the work, it can be difficult to see problems!

Final TPACK

Final TPACK

Lesson Description:

This lesson is the first part of a module introducing high school students (10th through 12th grades) to cybersecurity.  This lesson will explore students’ prior knowledge and opinions of cybersecurity and how it impacts them personally.  After discussing their prior knowledge and opinions, they will then be given material to start their formal study of the topic.

1. The main Content (C) of this lesson is to explore the meaning of the term cybersecurity and how it impacts their lives.
  2. The main Pedagogy (P) of this lesson is the use of group discussions to exchange ideas and prior knowledge – think of this as the first part of a group KWL exercise.
  3. The main Technology (T) of this lesson is the use of the discussion feature of the Schoology LMS. Students will work on an internet-enabled computer to answer questions and respond to other posts. Schoology also provides a means for first responses to be unique – student cannot see other posts until he/she posts his/her initial response.

Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)

Describe: Online group discussion will allow students to share their ideas on cybersecurity and how/if it effects them.  In addition, it will help form bonds as a learning community. Since they also get to report on their personal feelings on the subject, it should help the students relate more to the content. By having a virtual discussion via the discussion board (and requiring each student to respond without seeing others’ responses), no one student will be able to dominate the discussion as they would in a face-to-face classroom.

Support:

Technological Content Knowledge (TCK)

Describe: The online discussion board will allow students to work at their own pace, giving students ample time to form their answers. Also, by working online, my “quiet kids” will actually have a “voice” in the discussions. Those who do not normally contribute will have to respondIn addition, the technology behind the online boards can be used as a teaching tool to illustrate some of the principles of cybersecurity.

Support:

Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK)

Describe: The usage of the Schoology discussion feature that hides responses until the user creates their first post helps alleviate the problem of students simply copying each other. Unlike a standard discussion in a classroom, responses to the initial posts can happen asynchronously, hopefully resulting in many more ideas being shared.

Support:

Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)

Describe: By using an online discussion format, students can work together to share their current knowledge of cybersecurity, and learn from one another.  The technology also allows members of the class who normally do not contribute as readily during a normal class discussion to have an equal voice.

Support:

Self-Regulated Learners

As I was reading through this week’s material, I couldn’t help but wish that all of my students were self-regulated learners.  What would it be like to not have to constantly remind certain students about deadlines?

I do not plan to actively address self-regulated learning in my online module.  The module is composed of several distinct lessons that are structured to lead the students through discovery, research, and acquisition of data. Students will be required to perform the lessons in sequence, and will be time-bound (1st response due by x -date, follow-up to responses due by y-date, etc.).  Timing is being determined for them, not by them (with the exception of the determination of whether they will do the assignment or not).  The final assignment of the module will introduce an element of the self-regulated learning cycle – I am asking them to reflect on what they have learned during the module.  It will be very interesting to see how this plays out, since they have not had to do anything like this previously in the class.

I do have one question about this topic – what is the right age to expect students to be able to handle this?  Those students moving on to college will be expected to have mastered this, for if they have not, they will not succeed.  But when do we remove the structure and let them try it on their own?

TPACK #2 – Shadrach

TPACK Attempt #2

Lesson Description:

Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)

Support:

Technological Content Knowledge (TCK)

Describe: The online discussion board will allow students to work at their own pace, giving students ample time to form their answers. Also, by working online, my “quiet kids” will actually have a “voice” in the discussions. Those who do not normally contribute will have to respond.  In addition, the technology behind the online boards can be used as a teaching tool to illustrate some of the principles of cybersecurity.

Support:

Support:

Support:

Activities

I will definitely use  a few of the activities from the article:

Conversation – the discussion feature in Schoology will be used to for asynchronous conversation among the students.  Clear expectations on participation will be posted, as well as timeframes in which the activity needs to be completed.  The first item in the module (to state their definition of cybersecurity & how it impacts them personally) will be done as an online conversation.

Reflective Activities – the last assignment of my module will require the students to reflect on what they have learned, to see if their definitions and opinions have changed from the beginning of the module.

Skill Building – for many of the students in the class, this will be their first experience with an “online” activity where they will have to actually interact with each other, posting their responses where  all the students can see them.  I am hoping this will help build their comfort level with this type of online learning, and prepare them for future online classes in college.

Potential – Social Bookmarking (with  Diigo) – I am intrigued by this technology.  For one lesson in my module, students will need to research various topics (chosen randomly from a given list) and provide links and articles in a class forum.   Diigo may be an effective way to share this information.