Semester 1 – Summer 2015

This page will link to papers and artifacts created during Semester 1, Summer 2015, in courses EDLP 700 and EDLP 715.

EDLP 715, Principles For Professional Writing: An Inspiring Leader, Dr. Paul Farmer

Americans generally tend to view themselves as generous and giving people. Most Americans, at one point or another, find themselves donating either their time or their money to some form of charity. They tend to give enough to make themselves feel better about their position in society but often, will question those crazy few who they believe give too much of their time or money to any cause. The idea that no one person can save the world is pervasive so the overarching feeling is that it’s best not to try too hard. This feeling may be shared by the majority of Americans, but is most certainly not shared by Dr. Paul Farmer; a man who has spent the majority of his life making a huge difference in the lives of thousands of the world’s poorest citizens in the world’s poorest locations. Farmer took this responsibility on, simply because he believed that he could…

EDLP 715, Principles For Professional Writing: MEMO: Paul Farmer

As I reflect on our upcoming leadership retreat, and in thinking about key leadership traits, I would like to recommend Dr. Paul Farmer as a keynote speaker at this event. Dr. Farmer is recognized as an influential person to the medical justice served throughout the developing world, and specifically in the country of Haiti. Farmer is renowned for his tenacious nature and his leadership abilities.

Dr. ArkinEDLP 700, Effective Learning Networks: Reflection of Patrick Lencioni’s book, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team

Patrick Lencioni’s, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, introduces the reader to the five most common principles of leadership pitfalls within an organization. According to Lencioni (2002), the major dysfunctions of a team stem from the following issues: absence of trust, fear of conflict, lack of commitment, avoidance of accountability, and inattention to results (Lencioni, 2002). Lencioni (2002) assures his readers that although the premise of this book was written with CEOs and their executive teams in mind, the theories are applicable to anyone interested in effective teamwork, regardless of the size of their department or the discipline (Lencioni, 2002). Lencioni (2002) teaches his readers these principles of leadership practices through the telling of a realistic and relatable story about a newly hired CEO, Kathryn, who was tasked with saving a new start up tech company, DecisionTech, from failure…

EDLP 700, Effective Learning Networks: Hazel’s Team: A Reflection of a Dysfunctional Leader

Patrick Lencioni’s, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, introduces the reader to the five most common principles of leadership pitfalls within an organization. According to Lencioni (2002), the major dysfunctions of a team stem from the following issues: absence of trust, fear of conflict, lack of commitment, avoidance of accountability, and inattention to results (Lencioni, 2002). Lencioni (2002) assures his readers that although the premise of this book was written with CEOs and their executive teams in mind, the theories are applicable to anyone interested in effective teamwork, regardless of the size of their department or the discipline (Lencioni, 2002)…

Final Product: 700 & 715: In-Depth Analysis of Leadership Skills Using Personal Reflection, MBTI & LCI Results

My first semester in VCU’s Ed.D program has taught me an astonishing amount about who I am as a leader. Before this semester, I could say, with confidence, that I am strong-willed, tenacious, empathetic, often act before thinking, and struggle with overly expressing my ideas and opinions. I knew these things about my personality but what I didn’t know is why I would define myself this way, and what I should do about it. This semester, I have learned to look at these characteristics of my personality critically, and examine how I can modify these behaviors in the future to be beneficial to myself as a leader…