Self-Regulated Learning – Simonick

At this point I am choosing to not add a SRL component to my module.  If I was designing a semester or year course I would definitely include SRL especially with high school students.   I suppose one could add a little piece of SRL to a module as short in length as mine.  I think it would be more powerful to introduce SRL at the beginning of a longer course and then build in reinforcement and reminders throughout for students to learn then develop and internalize the SRL behaviors.

While all the readings had good information I spent the most time with the Whipp & Chiarelli article.  As research it had a very small sample size but I was intrigued by the chart on pg 11. (see below.  If you click on the graphic it will become easier to read).

table-snip

The authors adapted traditional strategies for use with online learning.  I liked how concrete and student friendly they are.  Rather than just talking generally about regulating one’s own learning, the chart gave realistic strategies that I could use with kids.   I am wondering if the authors ever published anything else on strategies.  I would be curious if the strategies they noted in this small sample of online graduate level students would hold for a larger sample of high school and/or undergraduate students taking online classes.

2 thoughts on “Self-Regulated Learning – Simonick

1. I am so glad you made the point in the beginning about it being more powerful to introduce SRL at the beginning of a longer course with reinforcement and reminders throughout the course. Those were my initial thoughts when I decided to address it in my Introduction to Online E&PF module. You confirmed that I made the right choice, so thanks! 😉

2. I am still on the fence about if I want to use SRL in mine. I like that you are so sure already about not using it. You have some good points about this time of the year. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it would be better if it was for a semester or if you started out at the beginning of the year. I also I think we are on the same page as using the little pieces of it. I think from how it sounded that this is something for a little older students then what age I am shooting for.