Adara Singleton

UNIV 111- 096

Joshua Galligan

4 December 2018

Writer’s Memo

This speech stared out as a simple essay that I had to transform into something that I felt would persuade people that did not agree with my opinion about the employment of immigrants. Outside of class I spent countless hours trying to perfect it to something I felt was ready to share with everyone. I spent some time changing my old essay to make it more personal and spent so many hours memorizing and recording myself to ensure I was ready to present it in front of an audience. By making the videos I was able to see a little better where my essay flowed and also see the things that could be changed so, it was more pleasant to the ears. My topic started out as me just trying to get the information and facts out, but it changed into me trying to get others to visualize immigrants’ situation and add more pathos into my speech. The writing process was different because in this advocacy speech I to relate it more to the audience, in my op-ed I felt as though I never really had to connect it as much to the audience, but in my speech that was my main goal. I wanted my audience to feel something after I finished giving my speech.

Many of the revisions that I made to this essay were just to change it, so it was more personal and that the audience would feel as though we were having a conversation. Many of the revision I got were more grammar based so that my paper was easier to read. I also got some feedback on my citations to make sure I was giving credit where it was due. Most of my revision suggestions came from Carissa, and I chose to use the ones I did because the way she explained them to me really did make me believe that it would better my speech as a whole. I feel as though by making these changes my audience will get a better chance to see who exactly my sources, which also gives me more credibility because they know that I have researched for this speech.

I am most confident about the organization and my audience in my essay. Everything I wrote I made sure flowed well and keep my readers engaged. I am confident about my audience because I knew that I made sure I wanted my paper to be in favor of immigration employment, and I know to anyone who reads it will know that too. I am less confident about my focus because I know what I wanted to say but incorporating sources into it made it a little bit harder for me because I had to use the right sources and still make the paper flow well.

If I had more time to work on this speech I feel as though I would have changed my conclusion more because I like it, but I feel as though it could have better, and I could have had a more universal them that I wanted to tell people. I also would have added more into my paragraphs so it could have been a little bit more relatable, because even though I did relate it back to us people today I feel like I could have added more examples where people would have to put themselves into the immigrants shoes, so they can better sense of exactly what it is they go through. During this project I learned that I am better at writing for the “ear” because I can put more of my own emotions into, because when writing for the ears you have add the details and connect them, so you prove your point.

Employment of the Unwanted

Good morning, today I want to talk to you all about a topic that has been on a lot of peoples in minds in our country lately. Recently in the news or even on your social media timelines you may have heard a lot of people talk about the topic of immigration. This issue is mainly been a problem in relation to people migrating from the south in places like Central America. Many people believe that they are ruining American culture and taking opportunities, but haven’t immigrants been coming into this country for hundreds of years. It leads me to question why immigration is such a big issue now, is it because of the newer social media platforms that people have to get their messages across or is it just simply because Americans now feel freer to voice their opinions on topics that were once viewed as more sensitive than others. The Bureau of Labor Statistics stated that in 2017 of the 27.4 million foreign-born workers in the United States, they only made up 17.1 percent of total population of workers. That is why today I want to talk to you about the ongoing debate on the belief that the employment of immigrants in the United States job market, is the cause of job loss for native-born Americans.

When you think about the employment of immigrants, all we tend to do is assume. There lies the problem, all we ever do is make assumptions without ever getting all the facts. The article “Do Immigrants “Steal” Jobs from American Workers,” states how immigrants take the jobs that native-born citizens do not want, for example gutting fish, and working on farm fields. These are the jobs that American citizens are not willing to do, but immigrants are. These jobs are physically demanding and give out low wages, but you will never hear an immigrant complain about it. While we all complain about not wanting to work at a place like McDonalds or anywhere you might make under ten dollars an hour. Immigrants on the other hand, will take whatever job is available to them because they are trying to make a living, not live lavishly. Some immigrants come to America for the promise of a better life, but all that greets them is hate from native-born citizens and even people who have migrated here themselves. Americans believe there is a problem and want to focus on it but is it not true that every problem should have a solution. If the employment of immigrants is an actual problem, why is it that that there are no real solutions to this “problem,” all that people are trying to do is get rid of immigrants, get rid of the “problem.”

You will always believe the things you want to believe, and most people cannot change that fact. You may think that you are willing to be open minded to other opinions, but in reality, you are just searching for the ones that will confirm what you already believe to be true. This type of thinking is known as confirmation biased and I like to think of this term in relation to the employment of immigrants. Some Americans believe the idea that having immigrants migrate and work in this country will only worsen it, so they disregard anything that might otherwise prove that belief false. Bruce Wydick from the San Francisco Chronicle uses the term “salience bias,” to describe the situation. He uses this term in reference to the fact that the jobs that are being made by immigration are not as well noticed in comparison to the job losses from immigrant competition. This means is that no one ever notices the wide variety of jobs that have been created from the number of immigrants moving into areas, rather only notice if an immigrant holds a position that was once held by a native-born citizen. Immigrants may have migrated to this country, but that does not mean they do not qualify to compete in the American job market. Many will say that immigrants are “stealing” American jobs, but how do you steal a job that was never physically yours in the first place. Immigrants go through the same application process as native- born citizens do to get a job, all the while having a greater risk of being discriminated against during the process, so if they get the job over a native-born citizen, it is because they have worked hard and deserve it. By thinking with these two types of biases, our country will struggle to move forward together because there will continue to be negative mindsets about whether immigrants are qualified to work in the job market.

Some Americans never stop to acknowledge the full potential of immigrants and what they bring to our country. Julia Preston of the New York Times says, “The report called immigration “integral to the nation’s economic growth” because immigrants bring new ideas and add to an American labor force that would be shrinking without them, helping ensure continued growth into the future.”(15) Immigrants have been contributing to the American economy from the shadows, because no one has fully recognized all the things they do for this country. Brennan Hoban from Brookings.edu speaks of how immigrants are a big part of the population that create their own companies, and account for a quarter of investors and entrepreneurs in the U.S. thus creating new inventions and economic ventures. In establishing those companies, immigrants are essentially helping the country’s economic growth and creating more jobs. Their ambition, drive, and optimism are what helps build the American economy that will take us into a new and brighter future.

There have been many misconceptions about the work immigrants are doing for our country and citizens fail to realize how bad the country and its economy would be without them. If we continue to let others portray their negative beliefs of immigrants into society, we will never resolve this issue or be able to truly move forward. Immigrants are a big part of what makes America so unique and diverse, as everyone knows America is a country full of immigrants. It is the unknown changes that could occur that are scaring Americans, but instead of building walls we need to start building bridges because only in building those bridges will we start to see all the boundless advances that our diverse country can bring to the American job market and economy.

Works Cited

Hoban, Brennan. “Do Immigrants ‘Steal’ Jobs from American Workers?” Brookings, Brookings Institution, 19 July 2018, www.brookings.edu/blog/brookings-now/2017/08/24/do-immigrants-steal-jobs-from-american-workers/.

Preston, Julia. “Immigrants Aren’t Taking Americans’ Jobs, New Study Finds.” The New York Times, The New York Times Company, 21 December 2017, www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/us/immigrants-arent-taking-americans-jobs-new-study-finds.html

United States, Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Foreign-Born Workers: Labor Force Characteristics-2017.” News Release, 17 May 2017, https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/forbrn.pdf

Wydick, Bruce. “Why We Think Immigrants Steal Jobs, Increase Crime.” San Francisco Chronicle, Hearst Newspapers, 14 July 2018, www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/Why-we-think-immigrants-steal-jobs-increase-crime-13071416.php.