New class, new format, new resources

pulling-out-hairThis week was pretty overwhelming, attempting to find resources, things, people, etc.  It finally occurred to me that one reason this is all so challenging is that I am developing a new doctoral level course I’ve never taught before AND developing an online course for the first time.  That’s a lot all at once.  And to say that I am not someone who is tech savvy is an understatement; before the OLE course, Facebook and YouTube were pretty much the only apps I’d ever used.

I also did not find that many resources despite spending a significant amount of time looking.  I’m not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if it’s just the course that I’m trying to develop, but I had a hard time finding relevant material.  I found some “videos” but they were mainly recordings of instructors giving lectures and not too inspiring or engaging.  There were a couple of cute cartoons comparing qualitative and quantitative approaches, but none of them presented the issues quite in the way I wanted to.  I tried both Feedly and Diigo to find people, but also had little success.  There were a few folks who seemed to have positions related to online teaching (which now that I think about, I DO need), but no one really offering anything related to my course.  I guess the good news is that should I ever master the art of creating quality online resources, there is a HUGE market for material on qualitative methods.  I guess we’ll see how this week’s creation assignment goes….

Resource Inventory Qualitative Methods

4 thoughts on “New class, new format, new resources

1. Cool, you’ll be the leader in OER qualitative research methods. ;o)

I’m surprised there isn’t more available and now you’ve got me curious; I’ll poke around a bit when I get a chance. What, specifically, were you searching for?

Meanwhile, one simple strategy to help jumpstart your content is to involve your students. Have them search to find materials they think are helpful in understanding your course content.

2. Thanks, David. I have used that strategy in the past to find readings for my class and had also thought students might be helpful in finding other types of media as well.

I guess I’d hoped to find some videos or other media that present various types of research questions that students can identify as those requiring qualitative v. qualitative methods to answer, or some that show different types of qualitative data collection methods in action, e.g. interviews, focus groups, observation, field work. I did find a couple of videos about anthropology that include some fieldwork, but nothing else. In terms of people, I guess I’d hoped to find other faculty who teach qualitative methods and might have suggestions to share.