I have finally completed some semblances of assigned course content. I spent a considerable amount of time collecting content for a video and a “hacked” syllabus and explored a couple of different video-making programs. I wanted to incorporate some different elements into the video but ran into lots of issues trying to record myself (phone audio not working, webcam for PC left in office), but I finally settled for voiceover. I ended up using “MovieMaker,” which my daughter uses for school. The final product, course video, is much shorter than what I’d planned, and it is far from perfect, but I did learn a lot about what making a video entails. I had hoped to include different types of content (music, texts entering and exiting the frames in cool ways) that I had started playing around with, and at some point I hope to learn to use them when I have the time to devote to this. The good news is that once I uploaded to YouTube, my video generated several others on qualitative research that I might be able to use!
I also attempted to hack my syllabus, with marginal success. I used a newsletter template in Word. As you will see in my Hacked Syllabus Final, I only completed the first page, but I hope to continue with this project at some point, as I do kind of like where I was headed.
All in all, though tremendously time-consuming and challenging, I enjoyed the assignments as they forced me to rethink how I want to deliver course ideas and to learn some new skills. (Although I’m pretty sure I’m still not embedding things into my blogs correctly. I should probably seek some assistance with that).