Content to be created by the status and identity group:

Lion Jackson, Rashaa Langston, Emily Lawrence, Isaac Loewen, Muftau Oladejo

Billy has really made a statement for a very oppressed group. It looks like the outfit Pinhead wore on Hell Raiser but it took balls to do it. Rock on. I respect his idea and his message. He is comfortable in his skin and showed the world its ok to be just that. – Lion-

Isaac Loewen-https://psychology.iresearchnet.com/social-psychology/personality/identity-status/

I found the article in this link very educational and interesting, mostly due to the fact that I enjoy anything that involves psychology and human makeup. In this article, I particularly agreed with the thought voiced regarding the foreclosed person. The foreclosed person is described as having “commitments based on parental or adult values without the experience of exploration.”() I agree with the statement made in this section of the article that the foreclosed person forms their identity based largely on imitation of their parent’s ideals and values without the critical inspection of what the individual person thinks or has explored. I find that this has been too often true in our parents and their forefather’s generations, but in our day and age today, I believe people are beginning to learn more and more towards discovering/exploring their own identities, apart from how they may have been raised.

The Ted talk by Julian Baggini is a philosophical take on how we identify ourselves. Commonly, when asked what shapes our identity we might point to our culture, religion, race, gender, political affiliation, or life experiences. However Julian points out that these things are a complex collection of things not permanent, that we use to define us. For instance, we identify a watch as a watch because it contains the parts considered to make up a watch, and our past experience tells us it is. However, if the parts are separate, or my experiences with it were different, we might then not consider it to be a watch. In essence, then, I identify as a man because of my experiences in life and the associated body parts I have. Even so, because the assortments that make me a man are not permanent my true self is subject to change as time goes on. I found this interesting because this is a philosophy people are siding with a lot more today. An example is in one’s sex no longer being the deciding factor of their gender or sexual preference. In the end, it seems more so that the identity is molded by the individual as time goes on.                                                   -Muftau O. Oladejo

The Angry Black woman

In this lovely poem by Porsha O., she talks about her status and identity as a black woman. Through media, black women are often labeled as angry, loud, and aggressive. You may have seen the “angry black woman” narrative through social media, movies, or even by different social groups. It is often used as an excuse to leave black women out of the dating pool due to their “angry attitudes”. As a result,  black women have felt the need to adjust their behavior in order to seem more appealing to society. However, Porsha has a different outlook on the situation. She addresses the actual cause for black women being angry and how justified their notorious attitudes are. Black women suffer from double oppression and even face greater backlash as queer women as well.  So this poem gives us a better look at what black women have to be angry about so we can be angry with them too. At the beginning and end of the poem, Porsha reminds the audience that she is still a sweet person despite what you see.

-Rashaa Langston

(Identity video posted by Emily Lawrence)