“A leader needs to know his strengths as a carpenter knows his tools, or as a physician knows the instruments at her disposal”- Don Clifton.

In the process of enhancing leadership skills for my upcoming DNP project, I read a book named “Strengths-Based Leadership” . This book taught me many lessons about being a good leader. One of the crucial take away from this book is “knowing my strengths.” My strengths were further explored on my leadership profile by the assessment I took at the end of the book. The results were not surprising to me as I think the five strengths that my profile shows is the clear and proper explanation of who I am as a leader. After reading the characteristics of each identified strength, I was like – “Yes, this is me.”

My top five Clifton strengths themes were achiever, deliberative, discipline, learner, and futuristic. The three themes- achiever, discipline, and deliberative fall under the umbrella of executing. Also, the learner and futuristic falls under strategic thinking. My weakness is influencing and relationship building which is also the core characteristic of good leadership.

Strengths are helpful to build trust, show compassion, provide stability, and create hope within the team members for my DNP project. To build an effective team, I may have to choose members who have my weaknesses as their strengths. Also, I have to know all my strengths in detail to apply the skills effectively in the team for positive outcomes.

For my DNP project, I plan to use my strengths and improve my weakness to build a productive DNP project team. As an achiever, I should focus on achieving the goals not my myself but as a team for my DNP project. For my deliberative property, author recommends stopping, listening, and assessing before taking action. I need to very careful while selecting the team members. Also, the author urges the leaders with the discipline strength to create structure and keeps things organized. As a futuristic, I can share my vision of better future with the team members.

References

Rath, T. (2008). Strengths-based leadership: Great leaders, teams, and why people follow. NY: Gallup Press.

3 comments on “Strengths Based Leadership

• Hi Sonica, thank you for sharing your leadership profile. You’ve identified weaknesses which is a strength in and of itself. You did identify being a learner as theme and this is significant when self reflecting on areas we can improve as leaders. Having that vulnerability can lend credibility when developing your team because you can appear personable and not have the discipline theme be either misunderstood or disregarded by team members. Wishing you much success as you continue your DNP journey and on your project.

• Hello Sonica,
    I like the quote you began your post. It is essential for leaders to know their strength as well as their weaknesses; it makes them more authentic as a leader. I too thought “yes, this is me” after I completed the leadership assessment. It is interesting that an computerized assessment tool can so easily identify our leadership talents, where many people are unable to self identify theirs. I, like you, did not have any talents which fell into the influencer category. We will need people on the team who will “sell” our ideas….someone to market the project we are implementing. Thank you for your post.

• Sonica,
    Your Strength based Leadership is exceptionally well done. Your decision to choose team members to compliment your strengths and weaknesses will yield a strong team with practical goal setting to implement your DNP project. Well done.
    Best,
    Joanne