Blog Post 1

Image result for quotes about positive mental health

The ideas of flourishing and languishing were new to me. Initially I thought flourishing was just growth and beauty, but never once did I think of how it could relate to me. This idea was supported by the week one reading, “Promoting and Protecting Mental Health as Flourishing.” In the Keyes reading, I learned that flourishing is the promotion and maintenance of mental health. The more we talked about it in class, I realized that although languishing is the exact opposite of flourishing, you could be mentally healthy but also languishing. What stood out the most to me in this reading was that African Americans had higher rates of mental health than white Americans.

I feel that the assignment that has helped me the most to relate to the class content was the VIA strength survey. My strength was fairness. It was one that I was surprised to see, but after thinking about it, it made sense. It was just a skill that came naturally to me. But I was also surprised to see forgiveness at the bottom of my list because that’s a skill that I had worked on in the past. The other skills that were at the bottom of my list are the ones that I realized that if I improve them, it would help me to flourish.

I believe that everything that we’ve learned can tie into the idea of how we can help ourselves to flourish. I believe that they are different because they each consider a different approach toward mental health. In closing, although we cannot do much to change how genetics affect our behaviors, with a combination of the positive psychology methods and the cultivating strengths method, we can better cope with the ways mental illness, depression, anxiety, and mood states affect us so that we can flourish.

9 Replies to “Blog Post 1”

1. Wow I definitely missed the statistic about African Americans having higher mental health levels compared to Caucasians. I am very surprised by that because I would think that due to all of the negative experiences African Americans have to deal with on a day to day basis, racism, prejudice, etc, that they would lack mental health. I am interested in learning about that more in detail! Also I agree with your point in working on your weaker qualities to establish better mental health! In my post I talked about how judgement is at the bottom of my list and I think that contributes to my unhappiness and I want to work on strengthening it!

2. I also found it interesting that one could be in what would be considered “good” mental health and still be making no progress. There is always progress to be made, even if you are mentally healthy. As someone who is not mentally healthy, this was an interesting and confusing concept to me at first. It does make sense that the ultimate goal of us all, healthy or not, is to flourish.

3. I really like and agree with your last paragraph! I also think from all we learned these past 5 weeks really connects to focusing on how to better ourselves and to grow! I think its also a really interesting statistic that African Americans have higher mental health rates than white Americans and its something thats really eye opening to me!

4. do you feel as though if you were to get your correct skills at the top you would be happier or do you think these skills are something thats more independent of happiness and more of a coping mechanism to every day life.

5. Forgiveness was also at the bottom of my list when I took the survey. In fact, it was rated lower this time than when I took it last semester. Towards the end of the semester or the end of the academic year, it would be cool if you took the survey again to see if you were able to strengthen that skill.

6. I can relate to you because when I received my VIA results I was quite surprised in my strengths, but when I took a moment to analyze them I could see why those attributes were my strengths. Lastly, I also think it is important for us to be aware of our weaknesses so we can work on them and to be better individuals overall.