Intelligence and Creativity

The encouragement of creativity within the classroom is essential for the growth of student intelligence and understanding of the world and its people and cultures. Although creativity does not always manifest in the arts, integrating art in education is especially important in terms of allowing for creativity and producing growth in student intelligence. The arts not only provide a means of expression for students to communicate their thoughts, feelings, and ideas, but the arts can also provide students with opportunities to expand their knowledge and learn in new ways. Intelligence and creativity are related because I believe that a person can learn, understand, and gain knowledge through expressing their creativity. Because creativity is an ongoing process, students can continuously grow through their understanding of themselves, people around them, and the world itself. Through the encouragement of creativity within education, not only are students able to gain intelligence and a new understanding of the world, but they are also able to focus on aspects of life that motivate them by reflecting on significant personal emotions and experiences.

Although I don’t believe that the SOLs are phrased in such a way that capture the notions of imagination and creativity, I believe that they allow for these important concepts to be encouraged. For example, the theatrical performances that we created in class are representative of using imagination and the creative process to better understand the content of the SOLs. My group used our imagination and creative spirit to create a scene that helped our peers better understand VA Science SOL 5.4c, which included the parts of an atom (protons, neutrons, and electrons). I believe that the experience of being a creator, as well as a participant allowed me to better understand the content. Even though SOLs are often disliked by both students and teachers, teachers can promote learning by presenting the information in such a way that fosters imagination and creativity, especially through the arts.