Science and the Arts

I enjoyed most of my science classes throughout school, especially Earth Science and Biology, because my teachers often incorporated art activities to teach the material. Most of the activities involved visual arts, such as sculptures, diagrams, drawings, and pictures. During our unit on the human body, the whole class collaborated on drawing a human body on a large scroll of paper and labelling the parts of the body, as well as the parts of the heart. This activity helped me better understand the human body, but I also enjoyed being able to interact with my classmates and put our knowledge together to complete the activity. Another art-making activity I remember doing in my Biology class was creating a sculpture of an animal and presenting it in front of the class. We were able to choose any animal and use any materials to create our sculpture, so I chose a hummingbird. I used wire to create the foundation for the hummingbird and then covered it in green and yellow clay. I then attached the hummingbird to a wooden base so it could stand easily. In my presentation, I explained the characteristics of a hummingbird, including lifespan, reproduction, migration patterns, and fun facts. This activity helped me learn about several different types of animals and their functions in our world.

The activities that I engaged in during my science classes were not as geared towards poetry or music as they were towards the visual arts. I do wish that my teachers had integrated a variety of art forms in order to help the students learn scientific concepts. Since then, music and poetry have made me think about the world in a scientific manner, and I believe that incorporating these forms of art into my science classroom would help students understand the material better and make science a more enjoyable subject overall. In my opinion, music is a great way to learn science because it’s catchy and allows students to be silly and remember information more easily. I remember learning the parts of the body and the order of the planets in our solar system through songs in two popular TV shows growing up—Hannah Montana and Drake & Josh. Experiences such as these can help students relate to the content and understand it more easily.

3 thoughts on “Science and the Arts

• March 18, 2018 at 2:58 am

I agree that incorporating music would be an intriguing twist on helping scientific understanding! I could see from the music making activity we did a few weeks back that this could be super helpful in scientific understanding. Even for myself, putting the procedures into songs would help remember them much better.

• March 20, 2018 at 11:30 am

I remember drawing the human body like you did in one of my physical education classes and using that exercise later in my anatomy and human physiology class. It was fun drawing around other classmates and giggling on the floor beside them. I make songs of the things I need to remember at work when it’s too much to write down or too busy to write down.

• March 20, 2018 at 1:56 pm

The body assignment is a neat activity! This allows students to learn about their bodies while working with other classmates and discussing the content. I also really like the animal sculpture activity, that seemed like it was really cool and I like how you had to talk about its life span, fun facts, etc. because that gives students to be creating and make something but also having to do their own personal research to find the information they need to present their animal. My classes were also geared more towards pictures and models and other visual arts rather than poetry and music.