Making Activity: 3D Lesson

In class on April 10, 2018, we designed and printed our own 3D artifact that could be used in a lesson. I chose to make a clock to allow students to practice telling time. I designed the clock without the hour and minute hands because I would either 3D print them or make them separately so that they could be easily manipulated. My lesson would first introduce the clock and its parts—the numbers, the shorter hand (hour hand), and the longer hand (minute hand). I would explain that you read the shorter hand first to find the hour and then the longer hand to find the minutes. I would also tell the students that the minute hand moves in increments of five minutes and that one complete rotation around the clock means one hour has passed. After introducing the basics of the clock and telling time, I would have my students practice modeling different times. I would give them a time (i.e. 4:30) and allow them to model it using the detachable hour and minute hands. I could then assess the students’ understanding by placing the hands at a certain time and having them tell me the time.

Attached is the digital file for the design of my 3D clock.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oRebHK0HqMXFUYhWOTuEUDgxPB-7-WW7